PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing beta patch

PatX
Jun-02-2012, 15:07
Hello all,

Recently purchased Cliffs of Dover and after some initial trouble got it running smoothly with the most recent stable steam update.

After I install the beta patch, I see the orange crosshair/plane logo, the screen goes black, and the game crashes to desktop.

System specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Nvidia 8800 GTX 2020mb memory
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.00Ghz
4gb Ram

Possibly something to do with the order I'm installing the patch in?
I've read a lot on different forums about deleting the cache folder in my documents, as well as the conf.ini files in both that folder and the one in the game's program files folder.

Thanks in advance,
P

ATAG_Bliss
Jun-02-2012, 17:04
Hello all,

Recently purchased Cliffs of Dover and after some initial trouble got it running smoothly with the most recent stable steam update.

After I install the beta patch, I see the orange crosshair/plane logo, the screen goes black, and the game crashes to desktop.

System specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Nvidia 8800 GTX 2020mb memory
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.00Ghz
4gb Ram

Possibly something to do with the order I'm installing the patch in?
I've read a lot on different forums about deleting the cache folder in my documents, as well as the conf.ini files in both that folder and the one in the game's program files folder.

Thanks in advance,
P

Hi Pat and welcome.

Make sure you verfiy the integrity of the game through steam as the 1st step. Then go into your Documents/1cSoftClub folder and just delete the entire cache folder. Now you should be ready to install the patch.

I've heard some people saying they have had problems using Winzip/7zip corrupting their files on extraction so I always use the free program winrar.

You'll need to extract the files to your steam/Il2 Cliffs of Dover folder (not the documents section) making sure you select yes to overwrite anything it wants to. (do this for both core/parts sections)

And finally you need to make sure you download the hotfix as well. That goes into the core folder if I remember right. Without the little .dll hofix your game will be crashing all the time.

So in this order:

-Have Steam verify your game files. (this will return you to pre-patch)
-Delete cache folder
-Reinstall patch
-install hotfix
-start game

Hopefully this gets you up and running!

PatX
Jun-03-2012, 00:22
Tried the steps you suggested, unfortunately still crashing.

III./ZG76_Chasing Fear
Jun-03-2012, 12:58
PatX,

Have you installed the hotfix? One fellow had issues after installing the hotfix because he put the file in the wrong place.

Under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover (or your equivalent) you should NOT have a core.dll file. If it's there, delete it.

The core.dll file should be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core.

Might work for you.

-Fear

ATAG_Bliss
Jun-03-2012, 14:48
PatX,

Have you installed the hotfix? One fellow had issues after installing the hotfix because he put the file in the wrong place.

Under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover (or your equivalent) you should NOT have a core.dll file. If it's there, delete it.

The core.dll file should be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core.

Might work for you.

-Fear

Yep - that'll do it Fear.

@ Pat - one more thing to look for is to make sure you're running the game in directx 10. The patch + hotfix has 0 directx 9 support. The render settings can be found in the conf.ini ...

PatX
Jun-03-2012, 16:44
Still the same crash to desktop : \

ChiefRedCloud
Jun-03-2012, 22:18
I've also heard and done it myself, to unzip the item in the patc to a folder and drag it to the proper place. Any thing is worth a try. :hiding:

PatX
Jun-04-2012, 14:57
still no success.

ATAG_Torian
Jun-06-2012, 08:01
Hmmm....I know the nVidia 8800 is listed as being able to run CloD and u have had it running in the stable Steam release but I'm wondering if the patches have perhaps pushed the system requirements a little out of the reach of the 8800s now. I imagine u would have had the game running in fairly low settings anyway to get it working on that card. And are u sure it has 2GB of video memory ?? The max memory I could find for this card is 768mb. I used to have an ATI 5850 which is higher specced than a GTX 8800 and it really struggled to run CloD even at lower settings.
As suggested in the posts by Bliss and Chasing_Fear are u sure u have patched it correctly. Leave the conf.ini in the Steamapps CloD folder alone. It's only the one in ur Documents 1C Softclub folder that u alter at any time.

PatX
Jun-06-2012, 14:44
According to DxDiag, that's how much memory the card has, although I don't know if that could be wrong.

Regardless, you're right, it is a rather outdated card and I know I'm facing an upgrade soon...
Any thoughts as to which card I should consider?
Nvidia or ATI?
something preferably under $350
was considering saving up for the Nvidia GTX 670?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty much a noobie when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Cheers :thumbsup:

ATAG_Bliss
Jun-06-2012, 22:18
Yes you need an upgrade! :bgsmile: I would definitely go with Nvidia.

That 670GTX would rock! I usually go with EVGA cards as they have a no questions asked life time warranty on many of their cards (never had to use it though :) )

PatX
Jun-07-2012, 01:35
Cheers!