PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update

ATAG_Septic
Jun-08-2012, 11:07
Friday Update, June 08, 2012
Good Morning!

Weve completed most of the outstanding tasks this week, most importantly fixing most serious issues and speeding up the graphics engine. The game is now even faster, and the FPS slow-downs have been reduced even further. We are currently testing the new version and fixing various small issues as they are discovered. A public version of the new patch will not be ready before next Wednesday even if everything goes extremely well.

Wed also like to describe the work performed with the FM this week in more detail:

· Added new Hurricane Mk I and Spitfire Mk I variants with constant speed propellers and fuel tanks filled with 100-octane fuel. Older 87-octane variants also remain available. (Please note that the new planes use existing cockpits, so the boost indicator gauge shows new extrapolated values)

· Corrected (increased) low-altitude airspeeds for RAF fighters.

· Corrected Bf-109 rudder model, making it more effective to allow real-world maneuvers to be performed with just the rudder pedals.

· Corrected fuel model for more realistic gas mileage.

· Increased drag created by the radiator.

· Corrected throttle control model; now the entire range is used.

· Corrected flap sounds for the Bf-109.

· Corrected the pitot heat light on the Bf-109.

· Corrected the overspeed sound for aircraft; the sound will now increase in volume gradually and depend on airspeed.

Finally, as we approach the official announcement of the upcoming project, we continue to showcase the aircraft you will get to fly there. Today were showing the model of the Soviet Petlyakov Pe-2 bomber for the first time. This venerable aircraft fought with the Soviet VVS throughout the war, going through numerous improvements and modifications. Despite its many shortcomings it continued to play a more important role than its more refined successor the Tu-2 all up to the final days of the way.

Wed like to note that the screenshots are not taken in-game but rather in the internal model viewer app.

Have a great weekend!

Dutch
Jun-08-2012, 11:11
Wow Septic, you were quick off the mark there old son! :)

Sounds fantastic, but I'll wait and see. :pouting:

Doc
Jun-08-2012, 11:17
That will be good if we get these fixes. Hope the stupid CTD's stop.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-08-2012, 11:45
+1 to comments above. re FM's "He talks the talk, does he walk the walk?" We'll see.

Thanks for posting this, Septic. :thumbsup:

Doc
Jun-08-2012, 11:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ajdZzgR74

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-08-2012, 11:53
Thanks Septic!!! :thumbsup:

Hope to see the improvements they discuss...fingers crossed :hpyclp:

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-08-2012, 12:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ajdZzgR74

:bgsmile:

Catseye
Jun-08-2012, 13:11
I'm interested in two things:

- How does the increase in low altitude speed in RAF aircraft translate into climb rates and acceleration?

- The Hurricane MKI and Spit MK1 will have 100 octane fuel variants - what about the Spit II? No mention of it.

Otherwise, I think the updates listed are good if, and only if, they actually succeed in achieving them without breaking something else deemed valuable.

Regrettably, based upon past experience, I have to take a wait and see approach but look forward to receiving the patch and testing it before the online wars begin.

Cheers!

Recoilfx
Jun-08-2012, 13:30
I'm glad that they are putting the 100 octane fuel! Right now the 109s are so powerful that it's no fun to squash the brits so easily.

I think the lack of 100 octane for Spit IIs is because Spit IIas weren't cleared for +12lb boost during BoB. I could be very much wrong though...

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-08-2012, 13:45
I'm glad that they are putting the 100 octane fuel! Right now the 109s are so powerful that it's no fun to squash the brits so easily.

I think the lack of 100 octane for Spit IIs is because Spit IIas weren't cleared for +12lb boost during BoB. I could be very much wrong though...

There's about 2,000 posts in a half dozen threads over at bananarama forum discussing this very thing. It'll be more fun meeting you over the Channel to discuss it the RIGHT way! :thumbsup:

:bgsmile:

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-08-2012, 13:50

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/100-octane/Development_of_Aircraft_Engines.pdf

Please refer to page 222 of the book (page 2 of the 100 octane discussion) ;)

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Jun-08-2012, 14:18
If the Spit Ia and Hurricane would work as they should there won't be any need for the Spit II. I just hope that with the obsession on top speeds that turn/roll rates are corrected also. If post patch we get a spit that is faster than a 109 but still turns like a biplane we won't be any better off.

Recoilfx
Jun-08-2012, 14:32
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/100-octane/Development_of_Aircraft_Engines.pdf

Please refer to page 222 of the book (page 2 of the 100 octane discussion) ;)

I see that Merlin II & III is cleared for +12 boost. I don't see Merlin XII (used by Spit II) mentioned though.

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-08-2012, 15:38
I see that Merlin II & III is cleared for +12 boost. I don't see Merlin XII (used by Spit II) mentioned though.

So sorry...

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/merlin-lovesey.pdf

Please refer to graph, pg. 6, top left. Merlin XII at 12lbs. boost.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-08-2012, 15:48
If the Spit Ia and Hurricane would work as they should there won't be any need for the Spit II. I just hope that with the obsession on top speeds that turn/roll rates are corrected also. If post patch we get a spit that is faster than a 109 but still turns like a biplane we won't be any better off.

I think we'll wait until the patch is released and we've had a chance to evaluate it before we make any decisions on what we need and don't need on the ATAG Server.

335th_GRAthos
Jun-08-2012, 16:49
Please refer to graph, pg. 6, top left. Merlin XII at 12lbs. boost.

12lbs according to Spit.II.A/B pilots manual dated July1940, only for take off - up to 1,000ft or for 3min

And now we have 100oct available (in 2 weeks), time to let go of this discussion...

~S~

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-08-2012, 16:55
Agree re closing the discussion.

We have no specifics on the patch, and speculation only leads to the acrimony we've seen over at 1C. Let's wait until the patch is actually released and we've all had a chance to evaluate it.