PDA

View Full Version : Help please on 2 topics

Victor6
May-10-2015, 05:44
After a long time I have reinstalled CoD and back on Atag with some help from a very kind gent yesterday on this forum. Anyway having got back on Atag I have again come across 2 problems which I had before but have forgotten about as its been so long since playing CoD, the first is, why does the plane start to turn on its own when you first get in the cockpit?, I mean the engine is not running and yet it starts going normally left, its ok if your in an open field but if you spawn in a bunker which is closed in back and sides by the time you start up and try to straighten up to get out of the bunker your wing is to near the side and you damage it. Second problem is as you don't have any outside views as you do in the bog standard CoD I can never find where the start of the runway is as all the landscape looks the same from the cockpit. So to sum up, is there a way to stop the aircraft spinning on its axis without you doing anything?, and is there another way of finding the runway without having to taxi all over the airfield?.

Thank so much in advance for any help on these to subjects.

Cybermat47
May-10-2015, 05:47
I'd also like help on those two things, thanks for bringing it up :)

69th_Turn
May-10-2015, 06:47
put your chocks in. Options: Controls: (Aircraft category). The blocks in front of your wheels are the best way to stop the spinning.
get familiar with the airfield. Simple as that. Also, you can look for windsocks. They are usually at the runway's end. Thirdly, scan the horizon (use your zoomed-in view) for any runway yellow side-markers. Once found, that'll give you an idea which way the strip runs and you can then head to its nearest end. Best to takeoff the same way you see others doing, though, to avoid ground collisions.

ATAG_Dave
May-10-2015, 06:59
what Turn said plus re the airfield orientation to help you learn it after putting in chocks check your compass so you know which way you are pointing. then bring up the map and zoom in on the airfield, keep zooming and you will get it to a stage where u can see the runway on the map and its orientation relative to north which you can compare to your position relative to north so you can estimate which direction to head to find the runway - its not perfect but it might help you. if you are in a spit or hurri open your cockpit and you will find (is you use track ir) that you can move your head more also which helps when looking over / around the nose etc so might help you get your bearings.

a much easier way is to get on TS and ask people there - thats the easiest way to learn all the various things you will need to know :thumbsup:

Good luck and have fun :salute:

Baffin
May-10-2015, 08:51
The plane weathervanes (Turns into the wind) without the brakes applied or the chocks in. It's not precisely accurate as in real life, but it's considered a "Feature".

Outside views are not supported in Multiplayer CLoD.

A good habit pattern based on real life pilot actions can help with initial ground operations. Follow these steps in order, every time:

1. Have the ground crew install the wheel chocks.
2. Open the canopy (Door) so you can get in.
3. Magnetos OFF. (Default)
4. Fuel Cock(s) OFF. (Default)
5. Radiator flap FULL OPEN. (CRITICAL ITEM - Radiator flaps default closed) This is realistic and prevents birds from nesting in the radiator area while sitting on the ground.
6. Gear Handle DOWN. (Default)
7. Flap actuator handle in the same position as the flaps (Default: UP) so they will not have uncommanded movement at engine start. This will prevent crew chief retribution.

Doing these items every time will prevent a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Remember, the default positions are probably not set following refueling/rearming, so taking 5 seconds to do a good preflight every time is the smart way to go.:salute:

ATAG_Lolsav
May-10-2015, 11:49
why does the plane start to turn on its own when you first get in the cockpit?

Its a bug. The plane turns itself into the wind. You can use chocks to make it stop.

Second problem is (...) I can never find where the start of the runway

Usually at the end of runways there is a windsock (dont crash into them). And there are the boards yellow/red. If you face the yellow boards you are using the desired path for take off, best runway into the wind (you still can have lateral wind, so watch the windsock).

Welcome back!

Victor6
May-11-2015, 03:12
Thank you one and all for your help with my problems you have all been very helpful. All of your solutions work a treat.

thank again