PDA

View Full Version : Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero

Dave
May-23-2015, 17:02
What a fantastic aircraft. If you ask me, this bomber signifies the Malta Theater in so many ways. Most widely built Italian bomber that was also highly active during the Malta Theater. I know that the allies are in for several from the ground up new aircraft, but the Axis don't seem to be getting any as far as I can tell. I think that if there is one brand new design aircraft that the Axis forces might get their hands on this puppy should be in for serious consideration: the SM.79 Sparviero, wouldn't you say?

At the end of the day if we want more Axis players to fly bombers then this addition would be fantastic. It'll add a good authentic touch to the Malta Theater an who doesn't like shooting at bombers? The Allies would get the opportunity to riddle this beast with bullets over the vast expanse of the Mediterranean. So maybe we can get a team together to get the SM.79 included in some future patch. I'm just floating the idea to see if there is enough support out there in the community for such a feat?

From what I've been able to research, this heavier than air craft is unique and well how can I say this...probably a blast to fly! It is quite agile, three engines (3 :stunned:) a single 20mm fixed forward firing cannon on a few versions, good defensive gunner positions and shall I continue?

There is probably already so much to do that another project like this would probably be the least thing on TF minds. Oh well, at least I put it out there.

ATAG_Ezzie
May-23-2015, 20:00
I flew this a/c a bit in the old IL-2 and made a Malta campaign that relied heavily on the SM79. I agree its loads of fun, given the variety of roles it flew etc.

It took a long time to arrive il IL-2 probably due to the amount of work required. MP has hinted there are a/c being worked on that haven't been advertised so maybe this is one of them? Would be hard to have a Malta map ( if those rumours are true) without it - most of the RA raids in 1940 on Malta involved the SM79. Shooting them down in a Gladiator is lots of fun and quite difficult as well.

But maybe it isn't and that's ok - It's up to TF what gets worked on and I'm happy with whatever comes out of the virtual hangar.

Ezzie