PDA

View Full Version : Climbing to altitude?

Raven Morpheus
May-28-2015, 07:20
Hello

I'm having a problem climbing to about 20,000 feet in a mission in the Hurricane Mk1 Rotol 100 octane.

I can't seem to maintain a constant speed and decent climb rate, especially compared to my AI wingmen, and I keep having to level off to increase speed or risk stalling.

Typically I am running RPM at 2600, throttle at 100%, radiator at 70%, flaps up, and trying not to exceed 2 on the variometer (I assume that is 2000 ft per minute?), usually I keep it between 1 and 2 on the variometer.

So, what am I doing wrong, and are there foolproof settings to use for climbing?

TIA

ATAG_Endless
May-28-2015, 07:53
Hi Raven unfortunately when flying with AI they will always climb better and faster than you it's because they don't have to deal with engine settings

Baffin
May-28-2015, 09:15
Hello

I'm having a problem climbing to about 20,000 feet in a mission in the Hurricane Mk1 Rotol 100 octane.

I can't seem to maintain a constant speed and decent climb rate, especially compared to my AI wingmen, and I keep having to level off to increase speed or risk stalling.

Typically I am running RPM at 2600, throttle at 100%, radiator at 70%, flaps up, and trying not to exceed 2 on the variometer (I assume that is 2000 ft per minute?), usually I keep it between 1 and 2 on the variometer.

So, what am I doing wrong, and are there foolproof settings to use for climbing?

TIA

Raven,

Airplane climbs are not normally conducted with reference to the vertical speed. Such a climb is formally called a "rate climb" and is usually a training exercise done at rates far less than the airplane's capabilities (Like 1000 fpm). A normal climb is usually done with "Climb" power set. Climb power in the Hurricane, according to OP2GvsAPINST_3710.1B.pdf (free download) page 3, is 2850 RPM for up to 30 minutes (Limits section allows only 2600 for 30 minutes). In CLoD, 2850 RPM is difficult to read on the instrument, so set the needle on the upper right hand corner of the letter "M" in "RPM" on the tachometer. Apply full throttle. Increased manifold pressure (Boost) may or may not be permitted according to each plane's ops manual.

With climb power set, the airplane is then operated at an indicated airspeed that the engineers have determined to be appropriate. Usually, three speeds are flown according to the pilot's operational needs.

The lowest speed option is usually used for the "Best angle" of climb (steepest) . This is the theoretical speed at which we can attain the most altitude over the shortest "no wind" ground track and approximates the speed at which greatest lift is developed by the wings. WWII fighters rarely used this speed because of other operational considerations like engine temperature or poor maneuverability. Consider using this speed for terrain avoidance only and pay close attention to the temperatures.

The next common climb speed is the "Best rate" of climb and provides the most altitude per unit of time. The rate of climb is not constant as altitude increases so this too, is an average rate over the total time to climb. The Hurricane best rate of climb is 140 mph up to 16,000 feet. This is the most commonly used climb speed by the RAF fighters in CLoD unless under threat of attack. Forget about the vertical speed... Set the power and fly the airspeed.

The third option may be called a "Tech Order" climb (With apologies to the Navy lads who have "NAVOPS" or some such flight manual acronym). Tech order climb takes into consideration climb performance, fuel consumption, cooling, wear and tear on the engine, and aircraft maneuverability. Usually, the climb starts at best rate of climb, then decreases at some point according to the altitude. In a Hurricane, Tech Order Climb is 140 mph to 16,000', then IAS drops 1 mph per 1,000' thereafter. So, at 21,000', speed should be 135... at 26,000' down to 130 mph, etc. This is the speed RAF Ops wants you to fly unless doing so is dangerous due to the enemy threat.

To simplify matters, Command authorities will frequently issue a "Normal" or in the case of the Hurricane, a "most comfortable" climbing speed. In the Hurricane, it is 155 mph. This is the speed the General likes to use, so he had it printed in the Pilot's Notes. There are many reasons for using higher speeds in CLoD, so that final decision is up to you.

Keeping up with the flight/element leader is a matter of communication. If you can't keep up, call him and ask for a power reduction. All planes are a little different, so this should be no big deal and is not uncommon in real life. Since you can't talk to the AI leader, just consider him a jerk and apply for a transfer.

Foolproof Hurricane Climb Schedule:

1. With gear and flaps up, accelerate to 140 mph. (155 if you're a General) (190 if you feel like it, but have a number in mind!)
2. Set climb power.
3. Pitch up to hold your climb airspeed.
4. Manage the radiator flap as necessary to control temperature. Look at the temps, not the flap position.
4. Trim elevator for airspeed. Trim rudder to eliminate the rolling tendancy.
5. Maintain this speed with pitch until level off. Monitor your climb RPM.
6. Above 10,000' you may drink your tea and have your crumpets.:flying:

Raven Morpheus
May-28-2015, 12:17
Thanks. I'm now climbing at about 80% pitch (which is at about the M of the word RPM as you suggested), and at about 60% throttle which is about 5-6 on the boost indicator.

I seem to be able to climb better using those settings.

Doesn't help me take down those BF109's though, I just done the same campaign mission 4 or 5 times because each time I scored a hit on a BF109 something went wrong and I ended up in the drink (once my wing even fell off (or appeared to, I don't think I was being shot at) whilst I was in a dive!!!). I take it that once I can see smoke coming from a plane I can leave it and move onto another one, because the campaign redux missions require you to get a kill (and land), so I've been kind of obsessing about sticking on the same guy?

Trim rudder to eliminate the rolling tendancy.

Still having a problem with this though. Rudder trim doesn't seem to do anything but stop me being in slip (it also doesn't seem to stop me wanting to turn right when taking off, I have to do that manually with the rudder), the plane still wants to roll to the right and I still have to have my stick deflected to the left to compensate, but I've been putting up with that since day 0 because as I understand it from other stuff I've read there is no fix or little that can be done.

Baffin
May-28-2015, 12:29
Thanks. I'm now climbing at about 80% pitch (which is at about the M of the word RPM as you suggested), and at about 60% throttle which is about 5-6 on the boost indicator.

I seem to be able to climb better using those settings.

Doesn't help me take down those BF109's though, I just done the same campaign mission 4 or 5 times because each time I scored a hit on a BF109 something went wrong and I ended up in the drink (once my wing even fell off (or appeared to, I don't think I was being shot at) whilst I was in a dive!!!). I take it that once I can see smoke coming from a plane I can leave it and move onto another one, because the campaign redux missions require you to get a kill (and land), so I've been kind of obsessing about sticking on the same guy?

Still having a problem with this though. Rudder trim doesn't seem to do anything but stop me being in slip (it also doesn't seem to stop me wanting to turn right when taking off, I have to do that manually with the rudder), the plane still wants to roll to the right and I still have to have my stick deflected to the left to compensate, but I've been putting up with that since day 0 because as I understand it from other stuff I've read there is no fix or little that can be done.

The throttle should be full open for climb. The fuel control unit will manage the manifold pressure (Boost) automatically. The boost cutout override permits the pilot to exceed he manufacturer's limits during an emergency. It is over used in the CLoD simulator, but required reports and explanations if you used it in real life. I try to avoid over boosting, but it's only a video game, right?

Raven Morpheus
May-28-2015, 15:32
The throttle should be full open for climb. The fuel control unit will manage the manifold pressure (Boost) automatically. The boost cutout override permits the pilot to exceed he manufacturer's limits during an emergency. It is over used in the CLoD simulator, but required reports and explanations if you used it in real life. I try to avoid over boosting, but it's only a video game, right?

Oh OK thanks. I guess that's partly where I've been going wrong.

Anyhow I completed the mission I was stuck on and I've now been transferred to a spitfire squadron...

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Jun-01-2015, 22:19

Yup, my ground crew would be pissed at me. Full boost all over the map. :P

ATAG_Endless
Jun-01-2015, 22:41
Yup, my ground crew would be pissed at me. Full boost all over the map. :P

I read a book about a pilot who flew on the eastern front and he said once he flew one of the squad leaders planes 109 G6 . He couldn't get the thing to run properly except at full throttle he later found out that the squad leader got his mechanic to tune the engine for full power all the time because that's the way he flew every mission