PDA

View Full Version : [Falcon BMS] Downing a Mig-29 WVR without using gimmicky maneuvers

jester_
May-31-2015, 08:27
Yesterday morning, Savage and I flew a BARCAP on the Veterans-Gaming BMS pvp server, in F-16 Blk. 52s. Our flight plan had some how been desynced, so we picked a spot northwest of Seosan Airbase, over a gulf and circled around, chasing off any hostile aircraft that approached our airspace.

Things were pretty uneventful for the first few minutes, so I called AWACS for a picture of the area.

Sentry, Panther 3-1, request picture!
Panter 3-1, Sentry, pictures is multiple groups. Nearest bandit bearing 3-5-0 for 50 miles, 15000.

Well it just so happened that Savage and I were in a left hand turn passing through heading 010, so were about to point right at these guys. We rolled out on 350 at 21000 feet and I lowered my radar antenna a bit to scan at lower altitudes. Sure enough, 4 contacts appear on my FCR. I lock one of them up, but no IFF information is being passed to my FCR so I radioed AWACS for a declaration.

Sentry, Panther 3-1, declare.
Panther 3-1, Sentry, contact confirmed hostile, IDed as IL-28.

Well this was hardly going to be a fair fight. We closed at 720 knots with them, with 6000 feet of altitude to spare. Savage saw the formation 11 o'clock low, and rolled in with guns on the lead IL-28s. I rolled in after on the trailing IL-28s and lauched an AIM-120B, close range at the third IL-28. It took less than a second for my Amraam to fall off the rail, and go pitbull. He broke hard right and started to drop chaff but it was too close, and too late. The missile detonated just under his left engine, blowing it off, and causing him to spiral out of control to the cold waters below us.

By now, Savage gunned down another 28 and was rolling in on his second one. A quick burst of the cannon sealed the fate of that Beagle pretty quickly.

The last Beagle, undeterred by the fates of his comrades kept pushing forward. Savage was coming up on him from below, while I maintained a radar lock from a bit further back. I fired off a second Amraam at the final bandit, and called out Fox 3, close. The Beagle rolled over and started a sharp right hand dive, but the missile had very good energy, a very good angle, and plenty of fuel left to burn. It detonated just behind the 28's tail, shearing it off, and spelling doom for the poor men on board.

We regrouped and headed back towards the gulf we were patrolling. We request another picture, and are told once again, nearest bandit bearing 3-5-0, 50 miles. So we turn around and start pushing towards them. I manage to lock one up on the radar after a bit of trouble from his jammer. These guys didn't want to be seen. Again, no info on what the aircraft is, but a quick call to AWACS reveals them to be a flight of Mig-29s. Jackpot.

We throttle up, looking to get a fight. Those IL-28s were an insult to our piloting skills and we were out for blood. We start closing pretty fast, head on. These Fulcrum drivers are at 11000, and we're holding steady at 16000. I'm watching the FCR like a hawk.

40 miles.
35 miles.
20 miles.

And then, the most inexplicable thing happened. These guys turn around and start burning away from us. Hell no. We throttle up even more, and give chase, but the closure rate is painfully slow at 75 knots. They are just outside of firing range when they disappear from the FCR altogether. I thought they crashed or something, but Savage says we have Migs to our right now. We turn into them and start looking around trying to find them but I can't see anything yet. Savage is on my right side, about 1000-2000 feet above me. My RWR briefly flashes a 29 icon at my 8 o'clock position inside lethal range. Savage says something over comms and I hear it, but was not paying attention. I look back to my left, staring down the turbines of a Mig-29 pulling lead on me.

If studying Erich Hartmann has taught me anything, it's to push the nose forward and add aileron when someone starts to fire their guns at you. I slammed my stick to the forward left area and nose down into a sharp left turn. I punch my emergency stores jettison to drop my fuel tanks and switch to CAT I configuration for maximum AoA, and start to pull a hard left turn. The Fulcrum rolls over and follows me into the turn. I can see he lit his burners so he was either low speed going into the turn, or looking for a bit of a boost to cut me off. I level out and yank back hard on the stick, and kick the rudder to the left. Looking back, the Fulcrum driver tries to follow me into the high G turn, but with a little too much speed from his burners and the dive, he overshoots a little under me. I still have enough maneuverability to roll my Falcon back into him as he starts to roll over and dive away. I switch to Dogfight override mode, and follow him into the dive. I can hear the growl of the sidewinders, ready to attack. A couple of seconds later, the growl turns into a high pitched shriek. My Sidewinders are locked on and ready to go. I hit the pickle button twice as the Mig levels out of his dive, sending two Aim-9s at mach 3, on energy to HIS ASSHOLE. The first missile impacted right between the two engines, taking them both out of commission, and the second sidewinder detonated just to the left of his left stabilizer. The airplane shredded to pieces.

I glance at my RWR and see 29 symbols all around me, so I can only assume the first migs we caught on radar were trying to bait us into multiple flights of migs. My fuel was starting to get low, so Savage and I regrouped and high tailed it out of there just as other F-16s started to enter the area. So when I say fuel was low, I meant that we didn't want to take all the kills for ourselves. A quick flight back to Seosan base revealed that the mission was a success but we failed the Time on Station task because we strayed outside the 30nm range you're not supposed to leave of the BARCAP waypoint. This is another perfect example of High Command complaining over stupid shit even though we saved the lives and planes of many at Seosan that day.

Mastiff
Jun-04-2015, 01:20
no video didn't happen. this day and age there's shadow play and fraps easy to record your fights.

EAF51_Jimmi
Jun-04-2015, 08:41
If you were trying to turn me into a jet fighter pilot you are on the good way!

Keep them comin'!!!

Loved it!

Otyg
Jun-04-2015, 11:50
This and EVE is both games i wish i played..... but they seem so daunting to pick up.

Awesome AAR :thumbsup:

jester_
Jun-04-2015, 13:06
no video didn't happen. this day and age there's shadow play and fraps easy to record your fights.

Unfortunately, the crew chief destroyed my ACMI tapes after landing while he was chewing me out over cracks in the airframe. Something about "too much G"? I don't know :P

I do want to start recording flights, but I'm going to wait until I build my next desktop for that. There is some more hardware I want to invest in.

Plus, I kind of like reading/typing AARs as opposed to videos. It lets the reader visualize everything as they understand it and I don't know about you, but when someone is describing their fight to me, I imagine a pretty cutthroat, high stakes, oh-shit-I-only-pulled-7-g-now-I'm-dead kind of fighting, but when you compare the description to the video, the video always feels a little lackluster to me :(