PDA

View Full Version : Navigation and Tab 7-1 callout questions

leadhitter
Jun-15-2015, 16:34
Addicted to this game. I love the learning curve......

I've got my navigation down cold and know where I am at all times, but.....

I'm not clear on Tab 7-1's callouts. Let's say I'm flying due south on a heading of 180 and get a contact report of fighters bearing 090 at 10 miles. Does that mean they're off to my 9:00? Or would it be to my 3:00 because it's 90 degrees from my current heading?

Secondly, there's no way to tell if the 090 contact is heading toward or away from me....right?

Any tutorials out there concerning this arena?

Thanks

ATAG_Freya
Jun-15-2015, 17:22
I believe it has nothing to do with your heading, but rather your location. so for that you would turn to 090. The distance callout in miles/kms whatever is not based on horizontal distance alone. eg a call of 4km could mean the enemy is directly above you, 4000m above. Or below. You see what I mean, right?

:salute:

ATAG_Dave
Jun-15-2015, 19:07
Tab 7-1 gives a bearing - and that bearing is the one you need to take if you intend to intercept, so if its 090 then you need to put yourself on a course of 090. The general radar call outs that come up from time to time independent of tab 7-1 give an enemy position (grid ref eg AK19) and altitude and a heading - and so that is the heading the enemy plane is currently on, so if it shows 090 it means he is flying a course of 090, it does not mean you should fly 090 to intercept (you have to work out what course you need based your location relative to the radar call out)

There - that should all be clear as mud now :).

leadhitter
Jun-17-2015, 09:33
Actually that really helps. Thanks!