PDA

View Full Version : Getting up to speed

KansasCS
Jul-19-2015, 17:06
Hey Guys,

After a month long hiatus I've taken to the channel skies again, flying the 109. I've printed out the CEM page from chucks guide of said plane and I've been doing ok. I understand why the 109 is much liked.
Still, the double entendre in the title is indeed intended. I can't seem to get those extra km/h out of my plane in those rare but decisive situations where I have to outdive, outclimb a spit that is close by. Especially the drag and bag tactic has eluded me so far.
I try to keep my revs below 2300 in the shallow dive, but I have to increase my pitch to the max to do so. My oil/water rads are never over 50%. When I go vertical I decrease the pitch and try to loop back, but a good pilot will lag persuit me so I don't get the better of him. In some instances he gets the better of me and puts enough rounds in me to send me home.
I guess the root if my problem is that I don't trust my engine enough to push it in these situations.
Any advice on this?
Is ok to rev up beyond 3000 in a dive so long as the temps are fine? Should I make merciless use of WEP?

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-20-2015, 09:25
I try to keep my revs below 2300 in the shallow dive, but I have to increase my pitch to the max to do so

This sentence was supposed to come out like that? Or you meant once you start to climb you end up to increase pitch to the max?

Anyway some tips to get most of the 109 (performance wise)

Speed

Speed >=500 km close water radiator to almost 50% and oil to 35%

Speed <500km water radiator 3/4 (75%)

Speed <300km radiator full open (100%)

WEP (ATA 1,4)

Only below 4km does something. If you noticed (varies a bit from 109 to 109 (version)) the ATA starts to drop after 4km up. Above that to use WEP does nothing.

Below 4km hold your WEP use until the speed drops below 515 km. If your speed is greater than that it just produces more heat. It wont help you to accelerate to 700km. Gravity will :D

Climb

Right hand spiral climb (shallow climb) BUT keep speed above 250. Between 250/300 km you should be able to right spiral climb out of enemie gun range IF (big IF) he started with equal or less E than you on the climb. Its perfect for the "drag and bag" situation.

Gh0st
Jul-20-2015, 12:03
Over the last few months, I've found myself learning CEM in steps. As I gain competence in each step; my overall performance improves.

1 pitch control
2 maintain Ata and rpm within bounds
3 do not blow rads
4 manage rpm and Ata while maneuvering
5 do not blow rads
6 maximize efficiency and gain speed
7 do not blow rads
8 close water rad in flight
9 do not blow rad
10 close oil rad
11 do not blow rad

Eventually, it will all come together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KansasCS
Jul-21-2015, 12:26
This sentence was supposed to come out like that? Or you meant once you start to climb you end up to increase pitch to the max?

I meant I have to tune the prop pitch to full coarse to compensate the rpm and keep them at 2300, but once they are at 0830(or whichever is the lowest proppitch setting), it takes ages to bring them back to 11 or 12 to get the most out of a climb.
I'll just try to throttle back in a dive the next time.

Anyways: Thank you for your advice so far!

Didnt know about the rad position in the dive and the WEP effectiveness.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-21-2015, 13:19
it takes ages to bring them back to 11 or 12 to get the most out of a climb.

In the climb antecipate the loss of power. Dont wait the rpms to go below the desired mark, but keep slowly increasing before the engine asks for it. Its a delicate balance, but in time and by hearing the engine (like the pilots used to do) you can predict if you need to increase prop pitch or not. Experience (and engines wrecked) will take you there.

murky
Jul-21-2015, 14:25

ATAG_Colander
Jul-21-2015, 14:29

I guess this (and the 1 in chat) was to be able do download :D

ATAG_Endless
Jul-22-2015, 18:06
E1 and E3 maintain 2300 rpm they are both highly prone to overheat don't fly and expect to dogfight well above 4000 with these two variants as the ATA falls over above 4000m

E4 maintain 2400 rpm stronger engine fights relatively well at alt 4000m +

E4 B maintain 2400rpm useless above 4000m but very fast below that alt due to larger low alt supercharger than other variants

E4 N the king of 109's maintain 2500 rpm climbs exceptionally well and very competitive above 4000m it is a strong opponent against spit IIA

never exceed 3000 rpm its the quickest way to get oil on your window