PDA

View Full Version : Would like to buy Track IR 5

hhhhhhhhhhhhh
Aug-14-2015, 10:37
Hi Chaps, i would like to buy a track IR 5 but wonder if anyone knows the cheapest option, as Flightstore is very expensive:grrr:
Cheers h

ATAG_Freya
Aug-14-2015, 12:10
I've been looking in to ordering one as well. I'm in Canada, I think I'll order right from natural point - http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/01-store/store-catalog.html - cheapest option I've found so far. Makes sense.

Q - Is the trackIR 4 just as good? It sure is a lot cheaper. OR does the higher resolution justify the extra cost?

No.401_Wolverine
Aug-14-2015, 12:25
With exchange and shipping, you might consider NCIX, Freya. That might be a better option.

ATAG_Lewis
Aug-14-2015, 12:30
There are other options if budget is a problem...

Google....:

FreeTrack

FaceTrackNoir

EdTracker

Delan Clip

There is also a guy in Hong Kong making a version of TrackIR using a PSeye camera and a manufactured led clip....£25 ($39)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125FPS-FreeTrack-Camera-with-IR-LED-Track-Clip-Pro-is-compatible-to-TrackIR-5-/161772771999?hash=item25aa689a9f

also Ebay for TrackIR.....a few different options in ebay of folks making versions there...

ATAG_Freya
Aug-14-2015, 14:02
With exchange and shipping, you might consider NCIX, Freya. That might be a better option.

WOW! :stunned: I've never heard of that place before. After a quick browse through, I'm thinking maybe it was better that I hadn't. Thanks!....I think.

@ LEEWWWWW - Indeed those are great options, and I have faithfully used freetrack with a ps3eye cam for over a year now, and have to say I do love it. However, it's time to upgrade, as I'm running out of electrical tape, and the kids toys leave my stock of AA batteries severely depleted at very inconvenient times. IF I do get TIR in the coming month, I'll probably offer my freetrack assemblies (X2 - both with pseye cams) on this site for anyone who needs them.

hhhhhhhhhhhhh
Aug-14-2015, 14:24
Thank you for the advice chaps, i already have facetrackNoir but its unstable, rocks for side to side when i turn my head to fast and must be reset in-flight most times. That's the main reason to upgrade to Track IR, Saying that when its working its great.
Cheers h

69th_Turn
Aug-14-2015, 14:46
Extreme Gaming Devices in Saskatoon is a TrackIR option for the Canadian folks. It's where I got mine shipped from: LINK (http://www.extremegamingdevices.com/egd_detailed_specs/naturalpoint_trackir_5.html)

Had no problems dealing with them. Got the TrackIR 5 with Pro clip bundle and have not had a single problem with it through much use.

Not sure if it's any cheaper, but, hey...supports a Canuck store a bit.

Baffin
Aug-14-2015, 15:10
TrackIR4 is not as good. I upgraded to 5 after using 4 for years. Much better all-around.

Here's an eBay auction listing for a used one. Lots of new ones also listed here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NaturalPoint-TrackIr-5-Premium-Head-Tracking-for-Gaming-/171891428087?hash=item2805870af7

$78 + $10 s&h so far...

Condition:
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

Guarantee:
Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
Covers your purchase price and original shipping.

8/18/2015 Update: This sold for $138 total. You can buy a new one on Bay for the same price.

RCAF Rob
Aug-14-2015, 16:33
WOW! :stunned: I've never heard of that place before. After a quick browse through, I'm thinking maybe it was better that I hadn't.

NCIX is where I got mine from, and my Warthog. Arrived before they predicted and in perfect condition. If Canada Computers had carried it I may never have discovered them, if you are near a location drop in to see it. I go to the one in Markham occasionally.

ATAG_Lewis
Aug-14-2015, 16:52
@Freya...You can get the Delan clip which is usb instead of the battery if that's a concern...and there is the guy in Hong Kong who makes the USB Led IR....He's selling a lot of those on ebay and he has a high positive feedback score.....then you can let the kids keep their batteries!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-USB-LED-IR-Track-Clip-Pro-for-Track-IR-5-4-FreeTrack-Opentrack-/161710468277?hash=item25a6b1ecb5

Dice
Aug-14-2015, 17:24

Very satisfied with the service and price matching feature at NCIX, purchased from them long before NewEgg had a Canadian site.

timbow
Aug-28-2015, 05:21
Review and setup thread for EDTracker:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18389

Sensitive and accurate, but 3DoF. This is worked around using the curve mapping in Opentrack.

http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/shop/edtracker-pro

Full disclosure: I'm not commercially or financially involved in the company, but one of the founders is a good friend of mine, and I have been beta testing the Pro for them.

ACG_Rob
Aug-28-2015, 14:56
Hi I bought a track clip from trackhat for about £40 including the modified ps3 camera. I have been using it with the new open track beta software and its really good. The support you get from James at trackhat is brilliant. I had a few issues setting up, which was more to do with me than the clip or software. I emailed him he got straight back to me with some help and I soon got it set up. I can look all round the cockpit and lean in and out. Bargain for £40.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Whizkid
Aug-28-2015, 15:23
Don't know if this helps much, but I've had TIR vs 3 for about 6 years, and I just checked my setup for it and find that it has been updating itself to vs 5.2 unbeknownst to me! At least that's what the numbers say. I still use the hat clip-on setup, and it works just great, so if you can find a vs3 somewhere cheap perhaps it too will update itself. Anybody else have the same deal?

Cruzz 88
Aug-30-2015, 07:24
I am looking forward to building a new rig and to include Track IR 5 or similar which is why I have yet to be online.

Is it more advantageous to have 3 monitors as apposed to just one large one with Track IR ?

Are there any good youtubes of combat taking place with these setups in CLOD ?

Cheers ! :salute:

PhoenixCNE
Aug-30-2015, 12:29
https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html Of course this isn't the V3 but you can kind of get an idea of what changes thru the version increases in hardware (generally = bigger FoV and higher resolution) But the company has all of its versions running off the same software. I got lucky and scored a TiR5 with the hatclip from a family member last Christmas off amazon and can't imagine playing without it now.

** As for the three monitor thing, I'd personally feel it was ALWAYS advantageous just for the fact that your eyes can pan the peripherals and you don't really have to move your head around as much BUT much of this is greatly mitigated just using the head tracking. If I had to pick one over the other (TiR vs. 3 monitors) I would pick TiR every time.

Cruzz 88
Aug-30-2015, 20:39
** As for the three monitor thing, I'd personally feel it was ALWAYS advantageous just for the fact that your eyes can pan the peripherals and you don't really have to move your head around as much BUT much of this is greatly mitigated just using the head tracking. If I had to pick one over the other (TiR vs. 3 monitors) I would pick TiR every time.

Thankyou for your answer PhoenixCNE. :thumbsup:

ATONESIR
Sep-01-2015, 17:49
Hey all. I'm new here (still not sure if the game will run on my bootcamp setup) but have been simming and streaming for a while. I have tried most of the headtracking setups and I'm most energized about a free (as in beer) opensource project called OpenTrack (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Smartphone-Headtracking)

After you get over the laughs of having your phone velcroed to your headset, there *are* smaller dedicated units that can be had for about 25 USD and there is an effort to get them working with opentrack. With Free IMU installed on your phone It's totally wireless as it uses your local wifi network. I've used it live on stream for both X-plane and Euro Truck Sim 2 and it's been rock solid once dialed in. Worth a look.

Hope to see you guys in the air soon. Get your kills while I'm a noob! :salute:

timbow
Sep-02-2015, 07:32
EDTracker Pro does exactly this via OpenTrack. It's £45, link above somewhere....There is also info on how to setup opentrack and EDTracker in Lewis' welcome post.

TWC_Fatal_Error
Sep-17-2015, 21:07
Hello all After having TrackIR for 7 years first a 4 then a 5 I purchased an EDTRACKER and have been very pleased no more dark room with no reflections no more going off to the left or right just because you are not in the same exact spot in front of your monitor no more starting the game and going oh shucks got to go out and start my tracker. Instant centering see just as far back and out the window in front and down. I also have no financial interest in this company, but when you use this device and have trackir also, you will know which is better.

I did a video and put it in the EDTRACKER section of the forum with no editing what so ever and it was the very first time I used it out of the box once it was set up in the game. What you are seeing is what I actually saw and I was 100 % impressed. Since that video I have slowed it a bit and fine tuned it much more and it is easy and simple to do. Tunning the software is fast and simple like setting a clock to wake you up in the morning. Those of you that need a good solid tracking device for this game can pay much more and still not get what this simple device offers. Just my personal experience <S> Fatal