PDA

View Full Version : BF 110 dogfighting

Diamondaxe
Aug-15-2015, 12:56
The point of this thread will be to focus on the tactics appropriate for a daytime BF110 encountering an enemy fighter...likely the spit or the hurricane.

Similar threads have been started and discussed. I feel it is only appropriate to mention what i found.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=13324

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9291013338

It has been discussed in abundance that BF110 loses energy quickly, is slow, and turns poorly...generally this is true for all but the earliest hurricanes. The commonly accepted tactic has been to engage the enemy head on as much as possible. The main question here is... After making the first pass head-on how do we best make our 180 degree turn to increase our chances of getting a second head on pass.

Assuming we have the advantage in energy and approach at very high rate of speed, perhaps an Immelmann is appropriate, or at least a high climbing turn. If a level turn is made should it be to the left or to the right? Which takes advantage of our torque the most? At what speed is a high yoyo going to decrease the turning radius enough to make it more reasonable than a level turn?

If the altitude/speed is equal to or less than the opponent it is likely that there will be no second head on pass despite all efforts. If anyone can disagree wih this I would love to hear about it.

Assuming the enemy aircraft is still intact we are left now with a spit or hurri on our tail. How best can we facilitate use of the tail gunner? Will the AI work better with a weaving motion? Personally i fly level and straight and hope the opponent is foolish enough to hang out on my six. I have managed many times to vent a spit/hurri at a good distance before they open fire by bursting my shots. I've noticed that by shooting a hill the spread of the bullets is greatly increased the longer the trigger is held. If the opponent is patient and diligent about the attack then is the only hope to take a shallow dive towards friendly territory in a desperate attempt for help?

So far i have not made mention of the most important tactic of bringing a team mate. The initial approach to the encounter is unchanged if a friendly in present. We still should attempt to make our attacks head on. However once an opponent has latched onto our tail, which maneuvers are best to employ? I have read that the spits and hurris have carburetors which suffer in a nose dive. The thatch weave is also an option. I have also read of some pilots hitting the air brakes to shake off a pilot at least temporarily.

A hurried dive takes advantage of the BF110 qualities of acting like a rock in the air. I think this is employable if the friendly is close enough to catch up before the enemy. Also an attractive feature of the BF110 is the fun of the tail gun. It should be easily usable in a nose dive though your friend might find himself in the line of fire. Does a 109 jave enough soeed advantage to close the gap before the spit/hurri? Probably not.

The thatch weave is something I've yet been able to use. I'm uncertain of the effectiveness of the tail gunner in this situation. Certainly the method is tried and proven. The AI gunner is fairly useless flying level and straight. I have little doubt that weaving will improve his aim or willingness to pull the trigger. Still it might be fun to experiment with this in a controlled environment. Ultimately the goal is to have fun. If one is unable to control the tail gunner while flying and the AI is ineffective the thatch weave might only be usable if you have a dedicated tail gunner. On the other hand the thatch weave is very effective without needing a tail gunner at all, and winning is pretty fun stuff.

Regarding the option to pull a hard stop, the fastest method i know is to cut the throttle, pull back slightly on the stick bank right or left and rudder the opposite direction of the banking. For example if you bank right, you rudder left. This is an useful tactic for any pilot. Pulling back of the stick may allow for the tail gunner to get some very precious blasts into an engine. The reason I mentioned this tactic is to get feed back on a variation. What may be even more useful for a 110 pilot would be to push the stick forward. Though stopping the plane might occur more slowly and the tail gunner may not be able to line up a shot as effectively. You might be able to decrease the enemy's energy more by making them nose down and lose power due to carburetor inferiority. As they pull away they will likely try to gain a bit of altitude which may make it easier for a friendly, who has been flying level not up and down, to catch up. Also since you are pointed downward recovery of full control and speed may be made more quickly which may allow for greater separation and more time for team mates to step in and help.

The last maneuver which may be especially helpful for the bf110.... a hammerhead. I have read that a p38 is able to make these more quickly by accelerating the engine contralateral to the yaw. Unfortunately I am computerless at the moment and cannot test this. Also i have only one throttle on my joystick making it difficult once i get my PC back. Can anyone get this manuever to work by operating the engines independently and snapping more quickly into a dive? I dont dream that i can make a spit stall before i do enabling me to maneuver behind them. I do however find myself in a situation where I am pulling up on the stick to keep the enemy within the firing arc of the tailgunner. Smarter opponents seem to approach from below the firing arc and they force me to pull up slightly. Eventually this puts me in a climb and then a stall....a situation where a hammerhead might be a good idea.

Can you think of other evasive options a 110 pilot may have with a spit or hurri on the tail or have any comments that may discourage me from attempting a useless maneuver?

ATAG_Ezzie
Aug-15-2015, 20:34
Hi Diamondaxe,

I fly the 110 and try and avoid getting myself into this situation mainly because I haven't worked out a tactic that works reliably once a spit/ hurricane is on my tail. In some situations I can force them to gloc but this isn't always possible.

Some good 110 pilots just use their rear gun and can reliably damage attacking spits/hurt is. I tried this but couldn't work it well enough so don't do it

My only real tactic once we've done a couple of head on passes is to keep in a horizontal scissors with the attacking fighter and bunt under his gun passes as he shoots. I try and bring the nose around using rudder but if they are competent they will usually get their guns on me before I get mine on them. Sometimes I get lucky but often it ends in tears for me, which is the main reason I always try and avoid getting into this situation.

If I have a human gunner I will push it a bit more re taking risks but will still use the horizon scissors approach. I guess if I used differential throttle I might be able to increase the rate my nose tracks in azimuth but I don't have the gear to do that and I'm probably not smart enough to do it anyway.

Reading the RAF 1941 evaluation of the 110 v spit and hurricane I could find nothing that would make me think there is a reliable way to turn the tables on a spit or hurricane that is close on a 110's tail and co-E.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17926&highlight=Chaps

But If you work out a good tactic for this pls let us know as I would be keen to learn more about.

Ezzie