PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Gunslinger
Aug-16-2015, 11:55
how does one go about getting enrolled in Flight School? I am new to ATAG and am trying to figure out a way to fly with different people. I still haven't figured out TS but that's a different forum. What does Flight School involve and how long does it take to graduate or what ever is needed to complete the course. Thanks for any and all help. I would also like to know if it is possible to change your Log In name onn this forum.

ATAG_Freya
Aug-16-2015, 12:13
Hi Gunslinger. The first step is to figure out TS. After that, the post you made above is enough to catch someones attention and set up a meeting where someone, anyone, can get you going through the basics of the sim. I've no doubt someone would be along shortly with more useful info than I. There are lots of people who are great at teaching, I am not one of them, though if you see me online just ask and I'm at your service. Get that TS going though - it's the most important step.

:salute:

ATAG_Dave
Aug-16-2015, 12:15
It will help potential instructors if you give a hint as to what plane it is you are looking to learn :thumbsup:

PanTast
Aug-16-2015, 13:15
Hey Colander: maybe we should have a forum tag for instructors that can be displayed near the avatar :)

Gunslinger
Aug-17-2015, 10:04
As far as plane type, I am mostly familiar with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. I can start, take off, lqnd (sometimes) and understand CEM. I still do not know how to contact anyone on TS. Do I go to athe Ready Room Squadren or what? Also is flight school a program of different steps that have to be accomplished?

ATAG_Dave
Aug-17-2015, 10:15
As far as plane type, I am mostly familiar with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. I can start, take off, lqnd (sometimes) and understand CEM. I still do not know how to contact anyone on TS. Do I go to athe Ready Room Squadren or what? Also is flight school a program of different steps that have to be accomplished?

If its Spits and Hurries there are many folks who can help you get started including ATAG_Pantast and If you are available at the times we fly which is GMT evenings which may not be ideal for you. First thing though is to sort your TS - what is the problem you are having? Is team speak installed and working? Do you have a headset with microphone?

Assuming it is installed and you have a headset then run teamspeak and connect to the ATAG teamspeak server (ip address for the server can be found on the main forum page). Once connected you will land (as it were) in the ready room. You can then join any of the channels below by double clicking on the channel - you will see by scrolling down which channels have pleyers in them. If you are generally just wanting to fly and have comms then join the ATAG Allied channel which is normally polulated with players. If you have arranged to meet someone at an agreed time then you can just wait in the ready room for them, they can then drag you to whatever channel they are going to use to fly with you.

There are no exams lol or steps to pass. The programme is simply more experienced players helping new players with whatever help it is they are looking for.

9./JG52 Mindle
Aug-17-2015, 10:16
Jump into allied forces main channel when in Teamspeak. It is usually the most populated allied channel.

-=7th-DR=-Milo
Aug-17-2015, 11:35
Hi Gunslinger

I've received loads of help from Dave, Pan-Tast and Mindle so take them up.*

If you see me about give me a shout and I'll help where I can in a slightly incoherent and amateurish way.

*Milo Legal Enterprises would like to point out that there will also be banter involved as well.... usually aimed at Milo strangely enough.

69th_Turn
Aug-17-2015, 21:22
See three posts below yours if you're also interested in bombers.

Baffin
Aug-18-2015, 09:21
how does one go about getting enrolled in Flight School? I am new to ATAG and am trying to figure out a way to fly with different people. I still haven't figured out TS but that's a different forum. What does Flight School involve and how long does it take to graduate or what ever is needed to complete the course. Thanks for any and all help. I would also like to know if it is possible to change your Log In name onn this forum.

Dear Gunslinger,

Unlike the military where there is a lot of standardization, or civil aviation training where you "Get what you pay for", the training for Cliffs of Dover (CLoD) is a loose selection of volunteers with different methods and goals. Some of us are hard core video gamers, some are weekend "Entertainment Game players", and still others are historical or procedural "Simulator pilots". I suspect that most of us are a conglomerate of all these users depending on backgrounds and personal desires on any given day. Sometimes I want to fly like a real fighter pilot in the battle of Britain, while other days may have me simply trying to "run up a score" for the fun of it.

To help attract the instructor for you, or any other newcomer reading this, I recommend you modify either your original post or your forum profile to reflect how you personally like to "Play the Game", with a couple of additional items:

You have included more than most in your profile, which makes things much easier. May I suggest you include your age (General age is fine like "40-something if you prefer not to be specific "). This helps prevent the very young from teaching the senior citizens and vice-versa. Sometimes it can get awkward.

Without sounding like a "Computer Snob", I like to have a feeling for the hardware you have for playing the game before trying to teach something you are not equipped for. CLoD is a pretty hardware-intense application so trying to do too much with minimal equipment can be an impediment to efficient learning. In my opinion, the forum "Signature" block is a good place to list your computer gear... All of it.

Scheduling restrictions help a lot to prevent matching "Graveyard" shift people with nine to five types. You already indicated your time zone for USA instructors, but it helps to know if you are available "Anytime" or only between 6 and 9 PM, or not available Saturdays, etc. The IP (Instructor Pilot) for you may not even be American, so the more you can tell us the better your chances for a perfect fit.

Finally, try to absorb as much as possible from the forums you are on now. We especially recommend ATAG Lewis' Beginners' Guide near the top of the forum home page. There aren't many questions that haven't already been answered.

Get ready for some serious fun on CLoD! :hpyflying:

ps: I personally think that "Gunslinger" is a great name!

II/JG77_Jack
Aug-18-2015, 09:43
Hey man, if you are into german fighters and are looking for a group to fly and train, be the best with, check us out:

http://www.ii-jg77.net/

Feel free to PM me :thumbsup:

DRock
Aug-18-2015, 10:55
Hey man, if you are into german fighters and are looking for a group to fly and train, be the best with, check us out:

http://www.ii-jg77.net/

Feel free to PM me :thumbsup:

We appreciate any help with new pilots, but please keep any recruitment to the Squadron Recruitment Area. The flight school is designed strictly to help.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Thank you.

Gunslinger
Aug-18-2015, 11:48
Many thanks ATAG Dave. I will give that a try and see what happens. I have ATAG Bookmarked on TS and I will take you up on your suggestion. Again, many thanks.

Gunslinger
Aug-19-2015, 10:16
Fidget;200220]Dear Gunslinger,

Unlike the military where there is a lot of standardization, or civil aviation training where you "Get what you pay for", the training for Cliffs of Dover (CLoD) is a loose selection of volunteers with different methods and goals. Some of us are hard core video gamers, some are weekend "Entertainment Game players", and still others are historical or procedural "Simulator pilots". I suspect that most of us are a conglomerate of all these users depending on backgrounds and personal desires on any given day. Sometimes I want to fly like a real fighter pilot in the battle of Britain, while other days may have me simply trying to "run up a score" for the fun of it.

To help attract the instructor for you, or any other newcomer reading this, I recommend you modify either your original post or your forum profile to reflect how you personally like to "Play the Game", with a couple of additional items:

You have included more than most in your profile, which makes things much easier. May I suggest you include your age (General age is fine like "40-something if you prefer not to be specific "). This helps prevent the very young from teaching the senior citizens and vice-versa. Sometimes it can get awkward.

Without sounding like a "Computer Snob", I like to have a feeling for the hardware you have for playing the game before trying to teach something you are not equipped for. CLoD is a pretty hardware-intense application so trying to do too much with minimal equipment can be an impediment to efficient learning. In my opinion, the forum "Signature" block is a good place to list your computer gear... All of it.

Scheduling restrictions help a lot to prevent matching "Graveyard" shift people with nine to five types. You already indicated your time zone for USA instructors, but it helps to know if you are available "Anytime" or only between 6 and 9 PM, or not available Saturdays, etc. The IP (Instructor Pilot) for you may not even be American, so the more you can tell us the better your chances for a perfect fit.

Finally, try to absorb as much as possible from the forums you are on now. We especially recommend ATAG Lewis' Beginners' Guide near the top of the forum home page. There aren't many questions that haven't already been answered.

Get ready for some serious fun on CLoD! :hpyflying:

ps: I personally think that "Gunslinger" is a great name![/QUOTE]

Gunslinger
Aug-19-2015, 10:30
Thanks for the response Fidget. As I have stated I'm not real computer literate but I hope some of the following information iw helpful.
Mi h97 PC Matem (MS-7850) Mother Board
Intel Pentium G3220 3.00GHZ
Socket 1150LGA
Core Speed 799.81 MHZ
2 Cores 2 Threads
24 GB DDR3
2TB Hard Drive
Windows 7 64 Bit
Direct X 11
CH Rudder Pedals, CH 568 Combat Stick and CH Pro Throttle

I hope this info helps. By the way I got the handle in a little known country in Southeast Asia. I'm not familiar with all the various forum rules and I'm sure I'm breaking some with this answer but I will learn as time goes by.

crazywomble
Sep-12-2015, 09:48
Very helpful thanks