PDA

View Full Version : You know, despite the flaws, this aint half a hell of a game isn't it?

ATAG_Naz
Jul-11-2012, 22:35
Hi All

I have not been able to fly much for the past few months but have found the time to get a handful of sorties in on the ATAG server in the past week or so. I was doing some work from home today and thought I'd have a quick "lone wolf" effort on ATAG to break the day up a bit.

I took off from Manston, ascended to about 16000 feet and headed towards Lympe/Hawkinge upon seeing a message of enemy in that area. As per usual I am the world champion at spotting flak but hopeless at seeing contacts. My modus operandi generally entails furiously looking about to no avail and then desperately evading once tracers start appearing magically all around my cockpit ...then I usually say to myself..."Ahh there he is!" :doh:

Anyway, true to form, BANG...hits received and my Spitfire started leaking something. Oh well, I had better try to get the hell out of here and dove for Lympe to try and land the damaged crate...at least try to deny my adversary a kill. As I was down to about 1000 feet I realised the 109 had come down with me so there was no chance of an easy landing...nasty fellas these 109 boys. My Spitfire seemed to still be handling ok so I thought I may as well try to weave and evade and hope the 109 pilot makes a mistake.

We then proceeded to have a great extended fight at tree top level with him brilliantly keeping his E, booming and zooming whilst I did my best to evade his gunfire. I lost sight of him several times but managed to reacquire SA again just in the nick of time. He got several more hits but never managed to hit anything important on the machine (particularly me!). At one point I am sure there was a second 109 who joined the fray so it was a hell of a time trying to stay alive.

Eventually, ATAG_Colander sends a chat saying he has run out of fuel and Salutes. As a final act of ineptitude I try to reply using typed text and crash into the ground...I am SUCH an idiot LOL. :-)

Anyway, I just had a good half hour + flight where I never even had the chance to bring my guns to bear, and you know what, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I am going back to do some more work completely refreshed and with a smile on my face.

So...yeah, despite all the carry on about Cliffs' flaws, this is still one hell of a game for mine. Salute Colander (and friend?), and Salute to ATAG for providing the server. Simply fantastic.

Cheers All

:)

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-11-2012, 23:06
Hi Naz, and welcome to the forum AND the server! :thumbsup:

Make sure you have Teamspeak loaded up and feel free to join us anytime. I just literally logged off after an extended session over Manston, then France with a few of the fellas.....and it was INTENSE! 109's everywhere! When I wasn't twisting and turning to get one off my six, there would be one filling my gunsights with me reflexively giving him an obligatory squirt. Somehow I amassed the awesome total of 1.58 kills without even knowing who I shot down. Finally I got my tailfeathers clipped (courtesy of Keller in his 109) over France, while the rest of the guys continued the running gunfight back over the Channel towards home. Whew! Not bad for an unplayable game. ;)

ATAG_JTDawg
Jul-11-2012, 23:41
+1 Snapper did you see there faces when we poped over the hill :P great fun guys , An to get a salute for base raping :( Salute dawg !!!

ATAG_Colander
Jul-12-2012, 00:17
Salute Naz. The "Friend" was ATAG_Keller, he stayed above enjoying the cat and mouse chase most of the time :)

Catseye
Jul-12-2012, 01:10
Salute Naz. The "Friend" was ATAG_Keller, he stayed above enjoying the cat and mouse chase most of the time :)

CAT? Where? Where?

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-12-2012, 02:26
It was quite the show you gents put on, I was lucky there were no other RAF boys in the area as I would have been dead meat with the trance that I was in watching the whole thing unfold.

At one point when you guys were turning circles I swear you were actually on each other's sixes at the same time! :salute:

I wish I'd taken a video of it.

Doc
Jul-12-2012, 02:32
:salute::) heard it on the radio. Was near but didn't see it.

Tvrdi
Jul-12-2012, 05:12
Its a great sim in many ways (FM, DM, sounds, cockpits, etc)....but my enthusiasm and excitement sinks every time I experince slideshow when effects are near (or when more planes are in dogfigh around me)...and I dont have a weak system plus I optimized my hardware and OS (most of the ingame settings are on medium anyway). Even guys with super powerfull rigs experience performance issues online. And there is very very bad net code which Bliss mentioned on banana forums and which causes so many problems....then there are a few things which I really cant swollow (for serious hardcore sim) like ghost trees....

ATAG_Naz
Jul-12-2012, 06:10
At one point when you guys were turning circles I swear you were actually on each other's sixes at the same time! :salute:

I wish I'd taken a video of it.

Oh yeah, a recording of it would have been great! Man, at times I felt like I was in an episode of that "dogfights" documentary on the History Channel. Glad you enjoyed the show :)

There was a moment when we circled a few times that I thought I was going to be able to get into a shooting position but Colander zoomed up at the perfect time to deny me the opportunity. By then I was aware you were there too so I was too scared to push up after him (probably a wise choice anyway).:)

@Tvrdi
Yeah mate I imagine we all agree with you to some degree, hence my saying, "despite the flaws" ... But still, no other game gives me the thrill I got from Cliffs today :).

Salute

Tvrdi
Jul-12-2012, 08:11
no other game gives me the thrill I got from Cliffs today :).

Hear hear...this is exactly the reason why Im so frustrated...I dont care about other games as I care for this one....also, you must admit, if you have top noch rig its easier to "endure" all the performance issues in Cliffs of Dover (*wink*)....

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-12-2012, 09:22
Thank you for sharing the story _RAAF_Naz. I was also on TS while that fight was going on, and i recall Colander exact phrase: "@Ј§§@Ј{Ј@§... i lost him the @§@Ј§" so i guess he was having fun also!

While that was going on i was heading to one of the major battles this server has ever saw over Manston. High/low left/right, clockwise/counter, paper/scisor.. it was a complete fun mess !!! Hey i was the only G50 flying around, i bet i could be easily identified :D

That was the same night were a Well intentioned Wellington disguised in front of one of the 109 flyers. He dematerialized in front of his eyes and reapered suddendly crippling the 109 to death (pun intended: he was blind its the only reasonable explanation) - its more or lessa priv joke this part. But from now on there will a be a question about bombers, "Is it a wellington? Be carefull those are dangerous, they cloak"

ATAG_Colander
Jul-12-2012, 09:35
Yeah, those transparent wellies are hard to spot. I've heard of some people even crash with them because can't see them.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-12-2012, 10:18
Yeah, those transparent wellies are hard to spot. I've heard of some people even crash with them because can't see them.

Ha! I ain't going near that one (although the flier in question 'fessed up over at 1C -- an honourable man). A few months ago I closed on a 109 having a go at one of our AI Wellies. Just as I pushed the button the 109 pulled off his target -- and my eight .303's smashed into the Wellington at perfect convergence. To my everlasting horror, I shared "credit" for the kill! :stunned:

MajorBorris
Jul-12-2012, 10:18
Nice fight Naz, I too fly much better when not typing:joystick:

ATAG_Colander
Jul-12-2012, 11:32
Here's a picture of a wellington pilot getting ready for takeoff...

http://www.visualjokes.com/pics/stealth.jpg

ChiefRedCloud
Jul-12-2012, 11:55
I agree RAAF_Naz CloD is what it is and while I'm waiting for it to get better, I enjoy the hell out of it.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-12-2012, 11:56

roflmao you just made me laugh here, at the office, making my collegues turn around to see whatґs going on. Of course i cant explain them our "lingo".. how can you tell about virtual airplanes, bombers, and things such "check six".

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-12-2012, 13:07
Lolsav; so that was YOU flying that G50! Man, you were all over the place over Manston! At one point I yelled out that a G50 was on my six, and all my Teamspeak buddies were laughing at me -- saying that I couldn't out turn you, but I could out run you! Big help, my buddies were....:grrr:

Gotta say, you sure know how to fly that thing. Three or four times I tried to shoot you down, but I couldn't get you in my gun sight! We had at least 7 or 8 Spits over Manston looking to "nail that G50". (Of course, we were distracted a little by those annoying 109's). Did ANY of us manage to get you?????

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-12-2012, 16:54
Did ANY of us manage to get you?????

I was there 2 times. The first 1 i got pilot killed at one time, the second one i managed to return to base, despite beeing chase over the water until the attacking spit run out of bullets i guess. I had to jink 90% of the time, but in the end i was able to out"land" Fear, who had no prop. He landed over water, i had Schnaps and knockwurst waiting at airfield :D

ATAG_Naz
Jul-12-2012, 17:08

:roflmao:

III./ZG76_Chasing Fear
Jul-12-2012, 17:39
I was there 2 times. The first 1 i got pilot killed at one time, the second one i managed to return to base, despite beeing chase over the water until the attacking spit run out of bullets i guess. I had to jink 90% of the time, but in the end i was able to out"land" Fear, who had no prop. He landed over water, i had Schnaps and knockwurst waiting at airfield :D

Thanks for calling me out Lolsav. :PP Slingn and I should've shot you down when we had the chance :D

-Fear