PDA

View Full Version : Definite foul Bf-109

Pepe_57
Aug-25-2015, 08:06

philstyle
Aug-25-2015, 08:29
Hahaha, yes, the rather unpredictable CloD collision model strikes again!

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-25-2015, 09:10
I've been receiving complaints of "deliberate ramming" which I've been assured by those accused is NOT the case. Nonetheless, such a collision should be catastrophic for BOTH aircraft. I hope Team Fusion will at some point be able to address the current collision model of Cliffs of Dover to rectify situations like this.

Vlerkies
Aug-25-2015, 12:03
I've been receiving complaints of "deliberate ramming" which I've been assured by those accused is NOT the case. Nonetheless, such a collision should be catastrophic for BOTH aircraft. I hope Team Fusion will at some point be able to address the current collision model of Cliffs of Dover to rectify situations like this.
I see no problem here, the blasted Spit scratched the 109's paint :D

Seriously though maybe, maybe not always even in reality. From a gameplay perspective not a bad idea perhaps, depending on how the damage model calculates it at the moment, because it does work both ways and sometimes both planes just go boom.

Is there a trackfile for this?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-25-2015, 15:19
This is a lag effect and is a function of connectivity on a multiplayer server.

When flying online, all connected PC's are constantly exchanging messages with the server, and updating their positions, while at the same time, receiving updates as to the position of other player's aircraft. These are sent in discrete packets, at milli-second intervals, from the players to the server, and then from the server, back to the players.

Using the updates as to where the other objects/aircraft are located, anytime a player's PC reads his aircraft as colliding with another, his aircraft will take damage or be destroyed.

But if the other player's connection speed is quite different from the first, (and with people connecting from around the world, the difference can be .5 of a second, which is a lifetime in air to air) his game may very well read the collision as not having happened, and of course, there will be no damage to his aircraft.

In addition, sometimes due to connection errors, there are packet losses, and all of information does not reach either the server, or a given player's machine. When that happens, the Player's PC suspends its update for a few milli-seconds while it waits for the next update. In that time period, a collision even could happen, but because the information was lost, it does not affect the player who had the packet loss.

The screen cap is taken from the player whose PC saw the collision as happening. If the other player's computer had a screen cap from the same point in time, it would show no collision.

These connectivity issues have been in effect since the very beginning of multiplayer gaming. There have been improvements with the advent of high speed internet connections, better coding for multiplayer game packet exchange, and more reliable data transmission over the internet... BUT they still remain.

TF can't fix these issues, they are a function of the overall internet environment.

Note:

Weapons effects appear to be calculated differently from collisions. When a player fires his weapons, and his PC tells the game he has scored hits, that information is then passed onto the server, and then onto the target player... he then takes damage. So while a player looking out the back of his cockpit at an opponent on his tail may think his opponent does not have a 'guns on' solution, and may think he is going miss, in fact due to the difference between the two PC's connection speeds, the opponent is seeing a gun solution, and scoring hits.

This is why it is very important in virtual online air to air combat to make sure your opponent does not get ANY opportunity to get his aircraft even close to a position where he can achieve a gun solution.

I have heard some players tell me, "Oh, I know he can't hit me, he is not pulling enough lead." That may be the case from the perspective of the target player, but the other player may be seeing something quite different.

Cybermat47
Aug-25-2015, 20:42
I'm not sure if that's quite the case, Buzzsaw. It happens in singleplayer, too. I once collided with a Hurricane. The Hurricane blew up immediately, my 109 only lost a wingtip.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-25-2015, 22:30
I'm not sure if that's quite the case, Buzzsaw. It happens in singleplayer, too. I once collided with a Hurricane. The Hurricane blew up immediately, my 109 only lost a wingtip.

The difference between offline and online is that in offline you must actually contact the other aircraft for yours and the other aircraft to take damage... if you don't contact it, neither aircraft will take damage. There can never be a 'lag' collision situation whereby one aircraft has zero damage and the other is destroyed. This is because there is only one PC doing the collision calculation, there can never be any contradiction in the physics model due to lag or packet loss.

You took damage, you were not unscathed... in this case the wingtip was lost, but clearly your wingtip contacted something more important on the other aircraft.

I don't think the game takes into account the impact of varying pieces of an aircraft on a variable force scale... so a wingtip contacting a wingroot will destroy both, even though the wingtip is made of fabric and wood, and the wingroot is much heavier aluminum sheet and framing. And if the wingroot contains a fuel tank, then it would be destroyed as well, causing catastrophic destruction to the entire aircraft. Something like that happened to the Hurricane you contacted. Whereas you just lost the detachable wingtip.

The game's damage model is not perfect by any means, collisions are not its focus, it is designed mainly to replicate the effects of kinetic and explosive damage from weapons.

As has been mentioned many times, we hope to improve the damage model for TF 5.0.

But that will not change the fact online lag collisions or online collisions affected by packet loss are going to give odd results.