PDA

View Full Version : CLOD and HOTAS WARTHOG

priller26
Sep-02-2015, 16:55
Hello, I've wanted one of these for some time, I'm left handed, and finally realized I just had to break down and learn to fly "right" Im running windows 7pro...TrackIR5 and the TM HOTAS...all seems fine no issue of the HOTAS dropping out.
My question is, has anyone taken time to map out the hotas for this game? Right now, the flight stick works fine, guns, flight, etc...HOWEVER, Im trying to configure the left thrust and am at a loss of just how to increase and decrease my thrust using the left throttle. There are some games that come with preconfigs for the hotas, unfortunatly as of now this is not one of them, and I really would like to get this thing mapped out properly to enjoy it fully. Any help appreciated!:thumbsup:

1lokos
Sep-02-2015, 17:30
Im trying to configure the left thrust and am at a loss of just how to increase and decrease my thrust using the left throttle.

Go do Options > Controls > Axes tab > select "throttle" and move the HOTAS left throttle up and down, test (the green bars bellow, at right) and if need check the invert box.

CloD controls allow you adjust the 100% throttle position, that can be useful for Spitfire/Hurricane/Blenheim:

Set this 100% position in ~90 of HOTAS throttle course - better if coincide with the throttle detent, so when the HOTAS throttle reach the detent, the in game throttle are in 100%, engaging the Boost Cut Out:ON and moving the HOTAS throttle beyond the detent you active the "boost" (110% throttle).

I guess that you can map with TARGET soft for this 90% position engage/disengage the Boost Cut Out:ON (instead press a key/button), so just passing the detent you "go though the wire".

priller26
Sep-02-2015, 20:38
Thank you so very much for the quick reply, I will give it a try it later this evening .. I think I have to work on the curve for the flight stick itself, it feels a bit heavy, actually some of the less expensive sticks felt better for flying. I do know there is a stiction issue with the TM HOTAS and am going to be resolving that soon. thanks again :thumbsup:

1lokos
Sep-02-2015, 20:53
CLoD controls don't allow adjust response curves, only sensitivity.

But you can adjust response curves using the TARGET software.

A way to reduce the "heaviness" of this stick - besides the lubrication for the stiction, what need partial base disassemble - is install a 10/15 cm extension.

Vlerkies
Sep-03-2015, 03:52
Thank you so very much for the quick reply, I will give it a try it later this evening .. I think I have to work on the curve for the flight stick itself, it feels a bit heavy, actually some of the less expensive sticks felt better for flying. I do know there is a stiction issue with the TM HOTAS and am going to be resolving that soon. thanks again :thumbsup:

I had a U2Nxt modded cougar before and it was sublime for flying props/helis. The stock cougar was rough.
The Warthog I agree is heavy and I did not like it when I first got it but put up with it as I was flying the DCS A-10C most of the time. Getting back into IL2 and then the DCS Huey it was actually uncomfortable flying the Huey for long periods.

A simple solution was to change the main spring tension.

You can look on Youtube for vids of people taking the stick apart, but basically there is a main center spring and 4 smaller springs on the corners. They all work together to provide resistance off center and to re-center the stick.
If you take the main spring out and go to a local spring/engineering shop they can make up a few springs of various tensions pretty cheaply and quickly.
I had about 4 main springs made up and settled on one which significantly reduces the pressure required to move the stick off the center point.

Just 1 point on the center spring, if you mod it make sure that the compressed height of the new spring is the same as the std spring, if it is higher it will restrict the joystick movement around the axis.

ATAG_Dave
Sep-03-2015, 05:21
When I first got the warthog i thought it felt too heavy. ATAG_Pantast patiently showed me how to reduce the heavyness of the stick - essetially dissasemble it and put washers under each of the four small springs is the best way to do this so im told and its extremely simple to do.

Being lazy i didnt bother of course. You soon get used to the feel of the stick and it becomes your new 'normal' as it were and now other sticks feel too 'light' to me.

so stick with it maybe.........see what i did there? :D

I would also recommend utilising the TARGET software - to not do so is to fail to get the most out of your HOTAS set up.

9./JG52 Mindle
Sep-03-2015, 08:00
The warthog is heavy feeling but you soon get used to it. It is preferable to me than having a 'loose' stick. It gives an illusion of having a real aircraft under you.

Try setting clod sensitivity to around 0.25 for roll and pitch to start with. You can always increase this value if you want greater play in the controls / less sensitivity.

Rudder pedals (if you have them) are good at 0.75 until you find your own preference for your pedals.

I don't have enough hours in the day free to properly get into the TARGET software, the clod control panels work great as they are and will do for me.

priller26
Sep-03-2015, 23:17
Thanks, I will be using the target software to set up for CLOD, I have used it before, and I liked it, especially when there are presets as in elite dangerous and IL2 battle of Stalingrad, however, it does seem a bit challenging to set it up for a game which has no preset. I will be re-lubricating the stick using lewmar marine grease as many suggest, it's on the way and thanks for the suggestions on the springs, i'm sure as many mentioned it just takes a while to get used to this stick as the new normal, and then I will enjoy it much more. Right now it is just heavy and seems bit of a chore to fly, but I assume that will change.

Hot_Pursuit
Sep-04-2015, 01:51
As 1lokos said a stick extension is a good way to make the Warthog stick feel lighter and it gives you more precision.

I got my Warthog stick extension from Simpit technologies in New Zealand and can highly recommend it. Here's a link to their site if you're interested.

http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/products/thrustmaster-warthog-extension

And a video showing how easy it is to install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZ8hK3QBWc

And there are other people that make extensions too.

Good luck with your programming.

Dingo50
Sep-04-2015, 10:50
I have a problem. I have programmed the warthog system, using the T.A.R.G.E.T GUI .
However when I check the output all I can find is an .fcf file for the mapping I have completed.
I would like to edit the file, but all the info I have seen concerns modifying the .tcm file.
Can anyone point me to where I might find that?

Thanks
Dingo

ATAG_Dave
Sep-04-2015, 11:23
I have a problem. I have programmed the warthog system, using the T.A.R.G.E.T GUI .
However when I check the output all I can find is an .fcf file for the mapping I have completed.
I would like to edit the file, but all the info I have seen concerns modifying the .tcm file.
Can anyone point me to where I might find that?

Thanks
Dingo

Hi open target gui and go as if to edit the file. on the main screen there is an option to 'view script' click this and it will output your script to note pad. save this to desktop as a tmc file. shut down target gui and you can then use target script editor to open and edit the file :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-04-2015, 21:26
does anyone make an extension in the states ?? or all are in Europe

Dingo50
Sep-05-2015, 11:39
There it is!
Many thanks Dave, been going bonkers trying to find that!!!

1lokos
Sep-05-2015, 12:33
does anyone make an extension in the states ?? or all are in Europe

This guy make some advertising in simulations forums:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4121973/TM_Warthog_Extensions

Other possible source: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146767

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-05-2015, 12:57
thanks Lokos
gonna check on that

Knucks

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-05-2015, 17:28
as long as were still on this subject: just re-downloaded the TARGET software, would some of you like to share your favorite "dead zone" "curve" "zoom" settings,
DAVE PANTAST not to call anyone out

Knucks

ATAG_Dave
Sep-05-2015, 18:34
as long as were still on this subject: just re-downloaded the TARGET software, would some of you like to share your favorite "dead zone" "curve" "zoom" settings,
DAVE PANTAST not to call anyone out

Knucks

here u go mate. x axis i have no curve set, y axis below. u also have to bear in mind how these interact with the clod in-game sensitivity (which is another non-linearity curve...)

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-06-2015, 18:36
thanks Dave: wasn't sure how extreme your curve might be, I understand its rather slight, good starting point , appreciate the info

Knucks

priller26
Sep-07-2015, 17:58
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am definitely still having some major issues with the stick. One of them seems to be that if I move the joystick too far up into one of the corners, the plane then just spirals, and I'm unable to recover, this is not on an advance flight mode so something if the joystick goes to an extreme position is not working right, exiting the game in resuming will solve it.

Major issue for me is I'm left-handed, and bought this to see if I could retrain to use this item. I've always wanted to have one, and thought I would give it a try. However, what I'm finding is that my hands just are much smaller, and the stick is cumbersome, and at my age, 54, I'm not sure I will ever acquire the dexterity or Percision to fly with the HOTAS stick. No matter how good the stick is, if it's not for your dominant hand, it just takes too much effort to really relearn to hit anything. I think I would keep it and keep at it if it was $200 but for this price honestly my thrust master 16000, although cheap and plastic just seems to do the job fine. I'm going to give it another shot and see what happens thanks again for all the help.

Vlerkies
Sep-07-2015, 18:13
Heres mine. (x and y the same naturally)
I have it set differently for different sims. It is a very personal choice from one pilot to the next, some dont like curves at all.

Priller, run the windows calibration on the stick if you have not already, just to make sure it is representing the extremities of the inputs correctly.

In the start menu of windows type usb game controller, that will bring up the option and you can go through a quick calibration.

priller26
Sep-08-2015, 12:47
Heres mine. (x and y the same naturally)
I have it set differently for different sims. It is a very personal choice from one pilot to the next, some dont like curves at all.

Priller, run the windows calibration on the stick if you have not already, just to make sure it is representing the extremities of the inputs correctly.

In the start menu of windows type usb game controller, that will bring up the option and you can go through a quick calibration.

Thanks, I have done that several times and still have the same results on this and other flight sims maybe there is simply something wrong with this particular stick I received. Either way it will go back and I'll just use to thrust master 16000, The left as the joystick for flight and right joystick y axis for throttle and other controls. I think that will probably work out pretty well . Thanks for your help

ATAG_Dave
Sep-08-2015, 16:15
Thanks, I have done that several times and still have the same results on this and other flight sims maybe there is simply something wrong with this particular stick I received. Either way it will go back and I'll just use to thrust master 16000, The left as the joystick for flight and right joystick y axis for throttle and other controls. I think that will probably work out pretty well . Thanks for your help

The t16000m is a nice stick - remember it is also compatible with the TARGET software :thumbsup:

-=7th-DR=-Milo
Sep-08-2015, 18:06
The t16000m is a nice stick - remember it is also compatible with the TARGET software :thumbsup:

I'll second Dave on the T16000... actually it was Dave who pointed me in that direction. Haven't played with Target software as a) It seems impenetrable b) Well, see A.

ATAG_Dave
Sep-08-2015, 18:53
I'll second Dave on the T16000... actually it was Dave who pointed me in that direction. Haven't played with Target software as a) It seems impenetrable b) Well, see A.

TARGET GUI is very easy to use once you have a basic understanding. Ill happily take you through it Milo - if I can get the hang of it anyone can :D

priller26
Sep-09-2015, 19:29

Thanks Dave, am I correct that I can use 2 joysticks, the TM 16000 on the left and one on the right as a modified HOTAS? They are both from the same manufacturer so I thought this would work just curious as to your opinion thanks for your input sincerely Scott

ATAG_Dave
Sep-10-2015, 05:50
Thanks Dave, am I correct that I can use 2 joysticks, the TM 16000 on the left and one on the right as a modified HOTAS? They are both from the same manufacturer so I thought this would work just curious as to your opinion thanks for your input sincerely Scott

Hmm to be honest I dont know for sure but it might work - it certainly allows you to plug in two identical MFG panels - I would check it out before buying a second stick if i were you (assuming you dont already have the 2nd stick of course). Personally if i were in that stuation i would buy the MFD panels to use as the modified HOTAS rather than a 2nd stick, they are excellent and will integrate nicely with TARGET :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-Replica-Force-Cougar-Flight/dp/B002HH9TRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441878763&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster+mfd

or if you are wanting additional axes in your modified HOTAS then these work well if you can find one for a sensible price (not compatible with TARGET of course)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Throttle-Quadrant-/111740899502?hash=item1a0446d0ae#ht_432wt_1157

9./JG52 Mindle
Sep-10-2015, 19:06
if I can get the hang of it anyone can :D

Mindle's patented Welsh TARGET GUI interface system.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/5a04fb3b2d7f692805bf6227fb8b5fdc.jpg

Looks a bit like the Welsh socket set...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/373327ec9ad0278b9a02aa666340c3f4.jpg

And of course the Welsh soldering iron.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/f796c301e9915daf2511ad674cbef99b.jpg

priller26
Sep-10-2015, 23:53
I can confirm two thrust master T16000M work GREAT as a HOTAS option for CLOD (for leftys) what a difference it makes in gameplay having a dedicated throttle with the additional buttons and rudder/yaw on the left twist stick, for the price you can't go wrong! Returned my WARTHOG HOTAS and will fly as I should lefty for 75$ instead of 450$ to try to fly as a righty!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Works great for Elite Dangerous as well.

dsenn
Jun-19-2017, 17:02
So I just finished building a gaming computer, bought TM Warthog stick and throttle. Played a little IL2 1946 with success, mostly because of the built in preset in TARGET.

Played with TARGET GUI, and set up a configuration using someone's published fcf(?) file. I tried to set up the configuration to start CLOD using LAUNCH.EXE. Had big issues with what appears to be a lot of "F" keys being sent to the game. I am sure this is a problem with the configuration and the "F" key. I have not found much info on forums regarding how to use TARGET to start CLOD after the configuration is set up.

Can anyone tell me how TARGET should be set up to launch CLOD? Am I approaching this the wrong way? BTW, I bought CLOD from Steam, and have sync'd the patch.

I am still having issues with the TM Warthog, even if I don't use TARGET. Can't trim using keyboard or stick hat switch. Was able to map gun (SPBAR) to TG1 in game Options. Works fine.

Thanks for all the great info here. It helped a lot getting CLOD off the ground for me!

HenryLuebberstedt
Jun-21-2017, 02:53
[QUOTE=dsenn;269885
Can anyone tell me how TARGET should be set up to launch CLOD? Am I approaching this the wrong way? BTW, I bought CLOD from Steam, and have sync'd the patch.
[/QUOTE]

Hi dsenn

the Warthog comes with a pretty good 45 pages manual. I don't wanna be impolite but I fear you have to read it. Target is a very powerful tool and to get the most out of it some intense "homework" at the start is unfortunately necessary. CloD and Target are working quite well together, I mapped over 50 key combinations in Target.

Unlike the Madcatz-Software (Saitek) its as far as I know not possible to create an icon for a game which starts game along with the associated Target-fcf-file. But you can create a game-shortcut within Target. In the upper left corner you see the button "Add" - just follow the instructions there.

BOO
Jun-21-2017, 03:15
couldn't you use a batch file command thing? That way if you have a number of profiles (I have ones for the 88/111, the 110, the blenni, the brit fighters and the 109s) you can start different batch files.

dsenn
Jun-23-2017, 20:35
Thanks Henry, but my problem is not mapping key (or writing scripts for that matter. I read both manuals).

My question is more from the screen you posted, I set up a configuration that uses laucher.exe in the CLOD folder. TARGET then launches the program, like you described it would, with some complications.

Specifically, should I use the launcher.exe as the path, or is there another option. I need to look at the fcf file as to why I have the constant "fffffffff" being sent to the game. I thought I would check to see if I was going the wrong direction first.

Starting a program using the steam client is not covered in the TARGET manual. That's why I asked.

dsenn
newbee, unless you count real pilot hours...