PDA

View Full Version : ATAG Server#1 Maintenance. ***IMPORTANT***

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-16-2012, 11:30
Hi all, I need to let everyone know that server #1 is going to be down today for some much needed maintenance. As is stands right now it looks like we've got some bad sectors on the hard drive that are causing issues. What were going to do is shut everything down and run a check disk, reboot and hope for the best, if things go well we should be good to go, if things go bad we'll need a new hard drive.

The following won't be available during maintenance, ATAG server #1 CLOD, IL2 1946 HSFX and our TS3 server. I can't exactly how long it will be down, but I wouldn't expect it to go longer than four hours, so please spread the word, be patient and thanks again for being part of the ATAG community.:thumbsup:

ATAG_WatchMan.

ATAG_Septic
Jul-16-2012, 11:44
Thanks Watchman, hope all goes well.

Septic.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-16-2012, 12:08
+1

Thanks for the heads up, Watchman. At least we know we don't have to ask JTDawg to drive to Chicago from Indiana to give the server a swift kick! :)

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2012, 12:39
Reposted here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=33289

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-16-2012, 14:06
Thanks Colander, for the post at 1C. The server is in chkdsk limbo at the moment so I won't know for awhile if things are okay. It's my feeling that the hard drive is probably trashed, basic system tools weren't even running properly and my initial chkdsk without repairs got stuck at 53% and that had to be done through command prompt because that didn't initiate through the tools section for the hard drive. So I'm not too optimistic right now, but we'll see.

WatchMan.

P.S. Snapper, you might want to get dawg a plane ticket to Chicago:)

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2012, 14:10
Is there anything the provider can do?

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-16-2012, 14:39
Yeah - they'll be replacing the faulty hard drive if the bad sectors can't be fixed by check disk. :ind:

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2012, 14:41
:S

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-16-2012, 16:02
Well it looks like it's going to be awhile, but I started up TS3 on server #2, so at least people can talk with one another and we still have CLOD on server2 and UP3.0 RC4. It could be worse I suppose, we could be in the midst of changing offices or something, tragic like that.:)

TS3 Server Info:
Name:ATAG Server 2
Address:216.52.143.205

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2012, 16:11
Is chkdsk still stuck?

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-16-2012, 16:47
@Colander, "yes":(

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-16-2012, 17:01
Just from what little I googled. If this procedure finds problems and has to fix them, this could take quite a bit of time. Some people have reported having scan disk running all night long to fix/find errors. We know we have bad sectors. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't take 8-10+ hours of repair.

All I can say is be patient. It's either this or every program will eventually become corrupt like steam did yesterday.

Doc
Jul-16-2012, 17:41
Obviously a scandal created by the red team and their Yankee mercenaries trying to stall their demise.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2012, 17:43
I just hope we have a backup of the server.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-16-2012, 18:44
The important stuff - yes.

But the hard drive is definitely dying/almost dead :(

Trying to arrange a time / see when it can be replaced. Of all the PC's for one to fail on, it had to be the server's :grrr:

More to follow.

Sorry guys - out of our hands..

Catseye
Jul-16-2012, 22:51
All I can give is moral support guys.
Bummer - blame it on Luftwaffe secret weapons failure. :)

Best to you all right now.

Cheers

AbortedMan
Jul-16-2012, 23:39
Is this one of the reasons why people give ATAG money every month? Easy, quick replacement of new hard drives, or is this a different sort of issue?

w1nd6urfa
Jul-17-2012, 00:46
Good luck with the fix.

Was that a single drive, not RAID?

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-17-2012, 02:05
Is this one of the reasons why people give ATAG money every month? Easy, quick replacement of new hard drives, or is this a different sort of issue?

Are you insinuating that we're screwing around and not doing everything we can to get the server up ASAP?

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 07:23

That would be ATAG business, of course. Every effort is being made to salvage the existing disk first prior to a new installation.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 09:19

I would hope people help donate to spread the costs out for what we provide. Perhaps you don't understand, but server #1 costs us $250 a month. Server #2 costs almost $100 a month. That doesn't include any costs for these forums or their hosting as well. So regardless of how many donations are recieved, I still pay well over $100 a month out of my own pocket to keep this a float.

I don't understand the jab tbh. There's many people here that have spent countless hours of their own time and money to try to provide a fun experience for everyone. Believe it or not, but the bandwidth nor the dedicated server that you use for TS3 or for the countless hours you've played on our server doesn't come free. We don't ask for much. But perhaps you should learn something before you be a jackass here.

Ohms
Jul-17-2012, 09:42

That's out of line. If you look the major portion comes from ATAG members.

Ohmie

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 09:46
Thanks, Ohmie.

For once, I was at a loss of words on that one.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-17-2012, 10:36
Am I reading the banana forums? :confused!:

No.401_Speed (YO-R)
Jul-17-2012, 10:56
post deleted

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 11:21
Hi DNR, and welcome to the forum! Such a classy first post!

Of course, donations are always appreciated :D, but first and foremost we want everyone to find flying on the ATAG Server a challenging and FUN experience. Hopefully we can soon deliver again on that! :thumbsup:

Snapper

Doc
Jul-17-2012, 12:00
Thank you for your support! This is everyone's server and that extra change you find in between couch cushions helps to keeps the war effort going!

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 12:05
Thank you for your support! This is everyone's server and that extra change you find in between couch cushions helps to keeps the war effort going!

But what do we do with everyone's old pots and pans they're sending in now?? :P

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 12:07
Just wanted to let you know that we have put a pitch into the 401 forum for donations to help offset the ATAG operating costs. Off course we all value the work you guys are doing and with such a large community, communicating these costs is an important aspect of keeping the system up and running. Thanks for what you do and we'll do what we can to support your efforts.

Cheers

P.S.

Any update for today?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2063 120mm LQ, AM3 Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz), ASUS M4A87TD EVO MB, G.Skill Ripjaws PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 16 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Dual 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6870 (Crossfire) GPUs, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Saitek X52 Pro stick/thrust/ rudder, Cyborg, 70 Sharp Quattron, TrackIR 5

Wow DNR - that's very nice of you. Please don't feel like you have to do this.

As far as an update - I'm installing everything on the server as we speak. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say everything's going to run better. According to Colander some hard drive errors have been there since March. And it only took trying to back up the data, just to see how much corruption there was. Just getting into the mission folder resulted in 20 corrupted / unreadable files. So imagine how much other corruption there was in the important bits of IL2COD on the server. If anything it's going to run much better.

It's the 1st time I've ever seen/had a hard drive failure. It was scary seeing how badly it had corrupted everything. Anyhow, back to installing :)

As far as your PC specs: You play with a 70" monitor? Holy Cow! :stunned::yikes:

That must be awesome :thumbsup:

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-17-2012, 12:18
As far as your PC specs: You play with a 70" monitor? Holy Cow!

That must be awesome

Didn't want to jack this thread, so started this one:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?1879-Question-for-No-401_DNR

Regarding the 70" monitor...would love see or hear how it is with CloD!

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 12:26
@ Colander - Please check your inbox! :)

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 13:02
Only thing I have to do is configure some network stuff and everything should up and running :thumbsup:

No.401_Speed (YO-R)
Jul-17-2012, 13:08
post deleted

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-17-2012, 13:18
Awesome set up!!!

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 13:22
http://evilengineering.com/gallery/d/38658-1/mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

MOHAWK
Jul-17-2012, 13:26
No.401_DNR , ===WoW, I want one , what kind of HorsePower do you have in your Machine ? can you run with Graphics at Max? does it matter if the Tv is Plasma or LCD 1080P or I - or what . what to look for in the TV specs ????? (Inquiring Minds whant to know )

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-17-2012, 13:44
No.401_DNR , ===WoW, I want one , what kind of HorsePower do you have in your Machine ? can you run with Graphics at Max? does it matter if the Tv is Plasma or LCD 1080P or I - or what . what to look for in the TV specs ????? (Inquiring Minds whant to know )

A 24" 1080p monitor and a 70" 1080p Television have the exact same amount of pixels, (1920 pixels x 1080 pixels). If your graphics card will run 1080p or higher then it doesn't matter if it's a 150" screen or a 17" screen.

That's quite a nice setup there DNR, but I don't want guys thinking that a 70" display is 6 times better than a 24" Monitor. Monitors are designed to be viewed up close and TV's are designed to be viewed from a distance, sitting close to a large screen TV will actually result in poorer image quality.

As far as Plasma goes, it's a dying technology. Burn-in is still an issue and LED/LCD TV's are catching up very quickly; Plasma's days are numbered. To give you an idea of how manufacturers are dealing with burn-in, they have a utility built into the TVs that removes burn in; this "utility" does the following.

When pixels are burnt into the display the utility will "burn" the rest of the pixels down to the level of the most burnt ones. To use my favorite analogy; if your tires are experiencing uneven wear just go into a parking lot and burn rubber until the rest of the tread is as bald as the worn part. Obviously this is not a perfect solution for burn-in on Plasmas.

MOHAWK
Jul-17-2012, 13:51
Copy that Keller . thanks , will see if its worth rearranging the the computer room for the extra viewing distance .................good info -thanks ..I wont be going 70 " , buy I do belive we might have a spare 46 " laying around , if i can convince Nancy wee need a bigger TV = I do see a blemish on this one ??? ( begin planning stage )== Your Plasma info will work , since our 46" is Plasma --hence a perfect reason besides the blemish to get and LCD --and we do see a small yellow spot on lower left hand corner --( you Da Man )

No.401_Speed (YO-R)
Jul-17-2012, 14:56
post deleted

ATAG_Septic
Jul-17-2012, 15:37
Hi Chaps,

I've just had a quick go on the server and all seems well. I'm not sure whether it's officially back up but thanks so much for your efforts Bliss, Watchman, Colander and all. It's much appreciated.

Septic.

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-17-2012, 15:59
Good deal all. Bliss try and get on TS3 when you get a chance.:)

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-17-2012, 16:04
Is TS up yet? I can't get on TS with either server.

<16:03:35> Trying to connect to server on 216.52.148.29
<16:03:41> Failed to connect to server
<16:03:44> Trying to connect to server on 216.52.143.205
<16:03:50> Failed to connect to server

MajorBorris
Jul-17-2012, 16:19
Thanks Bliss, Watchman and Collander for the hard work to get the server back up!

:salute: :salute: :salute:

ATAG_WatchMan
Jul-17-2012, 16:21
Keller, I would give it a few, Bliss is probably swapping things around right now.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-17-2012, 16:21
All, this is all Bliss and Watchman. I didn't do much.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Jul-17-2012, 16:46
http://evilengineering.com/gallery/d/38658-1/mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Yea...agreed!

thats some serie..ass Tv/monitor on zee large scale

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 17:40
Well,

It should all work now - TS3 included. Still updating windows occasionally so the server may randomly shut down at times. Once the updates are done we should be set.

Edit: All updates are done. Wonder how it runs without every 4th file being corrupt? lol

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 18:01
I can confirm TS3 is working; just said "hi" to Macro there! :thumbsup:

AbortedMan
Jul-17-2012, 20:55
Wow, why the backlash?! I asked a question, a simple non-loaded question with no sarcastic tone to it what so ever. I legitimately wanted to know what sort of assets were being used to rectify the issue, whether it was the monthly tidings from players and members or was it a hosting management company that was dealing with the machine itself and ATAG just remoting to it.

I just read all the replies to my post and I'm astonished...it's as if I'm specifically known as some asshole around here. I thought the few posts I have on here and the banana forum were somewhat constructive and insightful, dunno where this rep is coming from. Coupled with the teamwork oriented participation I offer in-game, I would think people would assume my tone more proper.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-17-2012, 21:12
Aborted:

Your O.K. I have done this in the past and :: is the problem with communication via E-Mail. I quickly read something and dont really get the proper tone and then reply, and after re-reading, wish I would have taken more time.

I really think thats the issue here as its was just one response: Be assured we (ATAG) dont make a habit of sticking our tongues out just for a comment :PP
well sometimes we do but its all in fun :geek:

I'm sure othesr will comment here so sit tight:

Knuckles

ATAG_Colander
Jul-17-2012, 21:21
Well, English not being my mother tongue, the way I read it was "With all the money we give, why isn't it fixed yet?".
However, I can understand and relate to the misunderstanding as I tend to say things that, to others, sound totally different from what I mean.

Let's move on.

ATAG_Colander.

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-17-2012, 21:24
Wow, why the backlash?! I asked a question, a simple non-loaded question with no sarcastic tone to it what so ever. I legitimately wanted to know what sort of assets were being used to rectify the issue, whether it was the monthly tidings from players and members or was it a hosting management company that was dealing with the machine itself and ATAG just remoting to it.

I just read all the replies to my post and I'm astonished...it's as if I'm specifically known as some asshole around here. I thought the few posts I have on here and the banana forum were somewhat constructive and insightful, dunno where this rep is coming from. Coupled with the teamwork oriented participation I offer in-game, I would think people would assume my tone more proper.

Glad we got this cleared up, I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. I'm really glad you came back to clarify.

:salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2012, 21:57
Thanks for the clarification, Aborted Man.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-17-2012, 22:47

Well I took it the wrong way. The server costs are discussed in detail both under the rules and donation sections and are a recurring monthly fee that don't change or should I say, haven't increased yet. Because of that - same costs every month, it did indeed rub me the wrong way. Because it was insinuating that there's some sort of slush fund lying around from people that donate that I'm holding on to hoping to keep the money unless something happens - which is on the absolute opposite end of reality. Whether it was meant to come out that way or not, that's how I read it, and it did indeed upset me. I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. I hope that my explanation explains why some other people took it as offensive as well.

Wolf
Jul-17-2012, 23:47
Well I took it the wrong way. The server costs are discussed in detail both under the rules and donation sections and are a recurring monthly fee that don't change or should I say, haven't increased yet. Because of that - same costs every month, it did indeed rub me the wrong way. Because it was insinuating that there's some sort of slush fund lying around from people that donate that I'm holding on to hoping to keep the money unless something happens - which is on the absolute opposite end of reality. Whether it was meant to come out that way or not, that's how I read it, and it did indeed upset me. I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. I hope that my explanation explains why some other people took it as offensive as well.

Thanks Bliss for your dedication to the community. :salute:

I hope this lightens the mood for all. Except my arch nemesis Atag_Dutch! He says he is not Dutch.... but I know better! He probably doesnt even know he is my arch nemesis maybe he isnt but as long as I have this link he remains just that! :geek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

I dream of one day becoming an ATAG member..... :(
:recon:

Warhound
Jul-18-2012, 00:40
Very glad the server is back up and the misunderstanding cleared up.

Having ran an Operation Flashpoint server years back and paying it's costs on my own for a while..I know it's not something i'd want to do again.
We eventually ended up going with a monthly fee those who wanted, which basically added badges and gave them first choice to participate in clanbattles. This worked well but wasn't ideal either(and isn't applicable to ATAG anyway).

Hearing Bliss pays 100$ out of his own pocket monthly made me think maybe that cost should be reflected in the donations page.
I know I've regularly seen the counter at 100+% and figured "ah funding is more then enough, no need to donate just yet", and I bet there are more who think that.
So maybe it's an idea to have it reflect the actual cost and then cover any shortfalls? Afterall..we all benefit from the testing done on server 2 and having a Teamspeak server.

To close ..a vid I found of our old clan holding a paintball event. (just because it brings back nice memories for me :shoot: :alcohol: )
We tried to have an event 1-2x a year and even if most participants were clanmembers ,we got people from rival clans join in a few times from neighbouring countries..which made for awesome fraternization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RE_nQXQYR0&feature=context-cha

ATAG_Lolsav
Jul-18-2012, 06:50
Having ran an Operation Flashpoint server years back and paying it's costs on my own for a while

I played and did some missions for OFP, i was in the "suicidesquad" server ( http://www.suicidesquad.co.uk ).

Did we used play togheter back then? We were mostly coop server, but boy that was FUN!

Dutch
Jul-18-2012, 10:59
Except my arch nemesis Atag_Dutch! He says he is not Dutch.... but I know better! He probably doesn’t even know he is my arch nemesis… maybe he isn’t but as long as I have this link… he remains just that! :geek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDrqC6NjNQ

:)

Warhound
Jul-18-2012, 11:25
I played and did some missions for OFP, i was in the "suicidesquad" server ( http://www.suicidesquad.co.uk ).

Did we used play togheter back then? We were mostly coop server, but boy that was FUN!

Your name did ring a bell and asked you about it on TS once, but always thought it was on the LOL-coopserver which you don't know? And I'm pretty sure I used to play suicidesquad maps now and then.
Def know you from WarbirdsOfPrey though. :)

@Wolf and Dutch, which one of you drives a Porsche and who drives a Mustang? :maddriver:roflmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk