PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Headphones with mic and Track IR 5

BKellem
Jul-19-2012, 12:53
I was wondering what is the best headphone and mic combo for gaming, or what are you guys using and recommending for TS? I have a Creative SB X-Fi sound card. I am sick of being a loner on the ATAG server and being chased by three spitfires at a time. Its hard to type to request help and maneuver the plane at the same time. Also the Brits seem to have their teamwork and strategy working for them. I need to get on TS so I...... we can make it harder for them.

I just ordered the Track IR5 unit. I have been using the mouse to look around so far and many have said that Track IR5 is the bomb, and they could not imagine flying with out it. I'm excited to try it and hopefully my SA will improve as well as my kill ratio. Any advice on the setup to make it easier and faster for me to get airborne? Anything I should be aware of? I just read a post in this Tech forum about it so I have somewhere to look if I have the same troubles.

Your advice and recommendations would be appreciated :salute:

Doc
Jul-19-2012, 13:03
Whatever you do do not get anything that requires a battery. I hate how my headset goes through them. Turtle Beach X41. Sounds great but hate having to change as often I do.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-19-2012, 13:12
Holy crap, BK! I've always considered you to be one of the more dangerous 109 pilots. And without TS or TrackIR?????? :stunned:

We on the Red side are doomed. :(

DOOMED!!!!!

However, that said, I use a set of Sennheisser earphones with swing-down microphone which, for me, have worked well and kept my marriage intact (although my wife upstairs in bed can faintly hear me bleating for help from my team mates fairly often).

I graduated from TrackIR2 to 5 a couple of years ago and pleased with its improved response and smoothness. I've been using Charvel's profile for a long time, but it's very sensitive to slight head movements and isn't everyone's favourite as a result. Others here will hopefully suggest their favourite profiles, all of which are easy to install and try.

Three new buttons to program on your HOTAS:

TrackIR: "Center" and "Pause/Unpause" toggle
Teamspeak: Push-to-talk (I have others such as Change Channels, Mute, etc.; but keyboard commands are fine for those, really)

Good luck!

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-19-2012, 13:32
Hey BK,

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CA-9011112-WW-Vengeance-Gaming-Headset/dp/B005QUQP7G

They are way comfortable and sound great!

ATAG_Headshot
Jul-19-2012, 13:44
I love my Logitech G35 headphones. They have very good sound quality with software 7.1 surround and I have been told the mic on it comes through very clear. It also has built in voice changing that can be quite humerous to use, though sometimes I forget to check if one of the modes is on before I log in so I sound like a space squirrel. It has 3 programmable buttons on the side, a mic mute button, volume control roller and the mic automatically mutes when you push it up. The track clip pro fits on very snug as well which is nice for track IR use. If you can afford it I highly recommend the G35

ATAG_Septic
Jul-19-2012, 14:37
Hi BK,

I have spent a fortune on headsets and like them all but have settled on the Razor Megalodon for use with Trackir because they are light, which is a consideration with the added weight [of the trackir]. As suggested above, I avoid wireless for gaming. I tried using a battery pack/solar panel to enable wireless track ir but it wasn't worth the hassle. My son though has twice ruined good headsets by allowing the wires to twist over time but this is so easily avoided by other than teenage boys it seems!

I've also come to the conclusion that stereo suits the game better than 7.1 but this is probably just my preference.

Happy hunting.

Septic.

BKellem
Jul-19-2012, 14:39
Wow! Thanks for the compliment Snapper. Hopefully when I decide which headset to buy they will fit on my head.

I ordered the Track IR5 last Thursday and it still hasn't arrived (eta Wed. USPS). Isn't it funny how when you order something you really want and are excited about it. It takes longer than normal for it to get there!

Keep the advice coming. :salute:

Dutch
Jul-19-2012, 14:48
I've got a cheap 'Creative' brand headset. Works fine, good enough sound qual, nothing fancy.

Can make my ears a bit sore with prolonged use, and they get cooked in hot weather. Luckily we don't get any hot weather anymore, so 'result'!

If you're getting the 'pro-clip' be advised it is very susceptible to damage if you happen to drop your headphones.

Mind you, I always thought the cap n clip worked better anyway. Trouble is, both the cap and the 'phones in warm conditions can end up cooking your head.......:stunned:

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-19-2012, 14:49
Which TrackIr clip did you order with your kit? Standard or ProClip?

ATAG_JTDawg
Jul-19-2012, 14:52
BK the DARTH VADER of the blue side , :PP i have enjoyed our fights . I love my Logitech G35 headphones good sound an mic . TS is a must , trac ir could care less about :doh: cya in the skies with 4 spits :devilish: salute

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-19-2012, 15:58
I use the Pro Clip (and yes, they're quite delicate) which I prefer over the Standard Clip since I don't like wearing a ballcap while flying. Functionally, the Standard Clip works just as well as the Pro Clip, and is cheaper. The one thing I REALLY hated about the Standard Clip is that it's made out of spring steel (quite sturdy) and I had the knack for springing it off my cap visor. That thing really travels -- usually to the other side of my office and behind a filing cabinet. After it killed two of our housecats, I ordered the Pro Clip......

(OK, that last bit about the cats wasn't really true. But it could've been!)

III./ZG76_Keller
Jul-19-2012, 16:14
...After it killed two of our housecats, I ordered the Pro Clip......

roflmao

BKellem
Jul-19-2012, 17:18
Which TrackIr clip did you order with your kit? Standard or ProClip?

At Amazon I typed in Track IR5 Pro so it should be the Pro clip I assume ($150.00). God I wish it would hurry up and get here already. :grrr:

[FFCW]Urizen
Jul-22-2012, 09:50
if thatґs (http://www.amazon.com/TrackIr-Premium-Head-Tracking-Gaming-Pc/dp/B0029M6VKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342964768&sr=8-1&keywords=TrackIR+5+Pro) what you ordered, i must disappoint you,

Product Features

Increased realism enhances your game experience through subtle immersion. Note:Item does not include TrackClip PRO.

It ships only with a Vector Clip, not a TrackClip Pro. That one has to be ordered separately.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-22-2012, 10:54
Aaaargh!

But the good news is that the Vector Clip gives you full use of your new TrackIR5. Two things you HAVE to do, though:

1) Decide on a cool-looking ball cap -- because when you answer the door for pizza delivery it's guaranteed you'll forget to remove the Vector Clip. Might as well look like a cool dork.

2) Usher out any house cats from the room before donning your Vector Clip.

ATAG_Septic
Jul-22-2012, 11:16
Aaaargh!

But the good news is that the Vector Clip gives you full use of your new TrackIR5. Two things you HAVE to do, though:

1) Decide on a cool-looking ball cap -- because when you answer the door for pizza delivery it's guaranteed you'll forget to remove the Vector Clip. Might as well look like a cool dork.

2) Usher out any house cats from the room before donning your Vector Clip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an upside, if you've chosen wireless then you can stay that way using the clip.

Regarding the cat problem, you could attach a small woodland creature, maybe a mouse, to the clip, which would give the cats the benefit of their predator instinct should the clip attack.

There you are, optimism, I knew I could do it :)

Septic.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-22-2012, 11:23
Re wireless: good point, Septic. I keep my Vector Clip handy, because the Pro Clip is quite fragile. One hard knock or drop to the floor -- I want to have the Vector Clip ready as immediate backup. :thumbsup:

Dutch
Jul-22-2012, 12:27
Decide on a cool-looking ball cap.

This made me look at mine, and I realised that it hadn't been washed in about a year. I looked closely with a magnifying glass, and various life forms were demonstrating the graceful art of the trapeze artist. Others were lying on sunloungers and sipping some tasty looking cocktails.

Needless to say, said life forms are about to experience the effects of a soapy tsunami. :D

(jk)

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-22-2012, 21:04
This is what I use:

Keeps the ole' noggin nice and cool...although I look like a dork with the vector clip, only the kids and cats get to
see it :P

BKellem
Jul-23-2012, 00:14
Finally got the Track IR5, it came with the vector clip. First impression is that its a really cool device. I am having some issues when sunlight enters a certain window at a certain time. I think I need to practice with it for a while before I decide if I love it. I tried it online and didn't have trouble getting a kill it was really cool. I think its harder to spot targets using it because its hard to keep it centered on a view like you can with a mouse, but I need to practice to get used to it. I have programmed the required keys to my joystick and I am getting familiar working with the track ir software. As far as picking headphones I gotta wait to get paid. Oh and there are two cats here but they are scared to enter because of the large ceiling fan that's running. Thanks for the advice everyone :salute:

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-23-2012, 05:33
I am having some issues when sunlight enters a certain window at a certain time.

Any light source behind the trackir can cause this issue. Thick, heavy, and dark curtains recommended :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-23-2012, 07:53
Glad you got it up and running, BK. AND scored a kill using it already???? :stunned:

We Reds are doomed. DOOMED!! :(

Seriously, the more you use it, the more you'll like it. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-23-2012, 09:13
Any light source behind the trackir can cause this issue. Thick, heavy, and dark curtains recommended :thumbsup:

I have a big issue with this: I cant use TrackIR untill after 2:00 in the afternoon: I have bloody towels over my windows but light still seeps in. I have to wait until the sun passes to the "Un-Windowed" side.

Unless its a cloudy day

Nothing is worse than lining up on a target only to have your whole picture go up side down :goofy

ATAG_Deacon
Jul-23-2012, 09:56
Nothing is worse than lining up on a target only to have your whole picture go up side down

I used to have this issue...went to that fine French dept. store, Target...spent $50 on thick, heavy, dark curtains and issue is solved.

Ah, the benefits of being single...didn't even care whether they matched or not :PP as long as they fixed the issue :salute:

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Jul-25-2012, 04:34
Ah, the benefits of being single...didn't even care whether they matched or not :PP as long as they fixed the issue :salute:

Lol...

To the OP.. I can't recommend the Rocat Kave 5.1 headphones, they are not wireless however but are great bins and the mic is very clear too..
Has a built in equalizer so you can adjust channels without having to go into comp settings..detachable Mic and lovely blue light shiny things too...

[FFCW]Urizen
Jul-26-2012, 07:45
If you donґt mind, that the Roccat Kave isnґt wireless, they are ok headphones, quite comfy to wear, even for longer periods (unlike my medusa i had before), however, i donґt recommend that one for listening to music or watching a movie, for the former it lacks in brilliance, for the latter it lacks in boom.

S!

miky
Jul-27-2012, 05:14
Headphone Gaming Guide (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-24-2012-m50s-edited-other-minor-edits) from Head-Fi.org.

EAF51/155_TonyRule
Jul-27-2012, 07:39
Im happy with this:
http://www.amazon.it/Sennheiser-PC-360-Cuffia-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343389083&sr=8-1

NoelSilva
Oct-31-2013, 13:53
Hi BK,

I have spent a fortune on headsets and like them all but have settled on the Razor Megalodon for use with Trackir because they are light, which is a consideration with the added weight [of the trackir]. As suggested above, I avoid wireless for gaming. I tried using a battery pack/solar panels (http://www.shinesolar.net) to enable wireless track ir but it wasn't worth the hassle. My son though has twice ruined good headsets by allowing the wires to twist over time but this is so easily avoided by other than teenage boys it seems!

I've also come to the conclusion that stereo suits the game better than 7.1 but this is probably just my preference.

Happy hunting.

Septic.
Thanks for sharing your opinion..I am searching to get new headphones so will try to follow your experience.........

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-31-2013, 14:24
Using Strato for 2 reasons: They are cheap when compared to other of same range and they are 5.1

http://www.ozonegaming.com/product/strato-evo/