PDA

View Full Version : B-24 Pilot Manual

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-01-2015, 01:56
Salute All

I am constantly adding to my collection of manuals and data on the various types of aircraft which were active during WWI and WWII. I've got over 20 Gb of material at this point and it is just growing as more and more items are brought to light and copied from museum collections or put up on the internet.

I see a lot of pilot manuals for various types. And from my perspective, the USAAF is the King when it comes to writing a Pilot Manual which is both informative and also engaging reading.

Anyway, I ran into a late version B-24 manual today which I thought was a perfect example of how well these can be written. I've already got two B-24 manuals, but this was a welcome addition.

This manual basically goes over almost every situation a pilot might encounter, details all of the information he might require and does it in a relatively conversational manner. With excellent illustrations.

When you read this manual, you are almost along for the ride in the co-pilot's seat. It certainly makes clear just how competent and well trained a USAAF Heavy Bomber pilot needed to be. Pilots were expected to commit this manual to memory. And of course, there were many other elements of a pilots ground school instruction which are not covered.

Anyway, for those who might be interested in a sample of just how demanding flying might be in WWII, here is the link.

Recommend you read it in full screen and close the table of contents on the left to increase the size.

Here it is, all 270+ pages. ;)

http://aviationshoppe.com/manuals/b-24_liberator_pilots_training_manual/pilot_training_manual_b24.html

Vencejo
Oct-01-2015, 07:20
Nice and good!
Thanks for link.