PDA

View Full Version : Squadron too fast (RAF Redux Campaign)

floule
Oct-02-2015, 05:18
Hello everybody

I recently downloaded the RAF Redux Campaign, and learned to fly the Hurri. Not a big difference to the Spit, mostly the cockpit layout and the flaps. So i'm doing allright with it.
The campaign seems really cool and authentic, exactly what I was looking for.
But theres one thing i'm struggling with: Keeping up with my Squadron. Somehow i just can't get to my position in the formation. I take off as close as possible to the next aircraft, and then stay close to it. This works ok, until the squadron starts to climb. I then start to fall back more and more. Despite using maximum engine setting (posted below) and trying to take shortcuts when the squadron makes direction changes, i can't get back into formation. It's a bit frustrating.

My engine settings:

100% Throttle
90% Pitch (Gives about 2850 RPM, which actually shouldn't be used for longer periods)
50% Radiator

This results in a Boost of +6, dropping off when flying at higher altitudes.
Also, I never activate Boost Cut-Out.
I tried changing the fuel, but that doesen't seem to be possible in the campaign.

So, am I doing something wrong?
Any advice is welcome!

marinerblueuk
Oct-13-2015, 11:42
I'm having a similar problem in keeping up. Don't know if I'm attempting to climb too fast or what.

9./JG52 Mindle
Oct-13-2015, 12:38
The AI aircraft will always fly at optimal settings including trim. They seem to fly perfectly regarding performance. It is very difficult to stay with them when they climb hard. This is unfortunately a well observed quirk of this sim.

It has quite a few AI quirks.

My advice? Go multiplayer. Go online and start winging up with real people and you will see your performance is probably as good as most and better than many.

In the spit 1a and rotol hurricane, try climbing with boost ON, 100% throttle. 80-85% prop and 100% rads. Climb at about 2000-2500 ft/min. Use your rudder to keep the side slip indicator centred. And trim elevator for minimal elevator input when climbing. Might help.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-14-2015, 03:49
I don't fly single player, but it is relatively easy to go into the .mis text file, and change the cruise/climb speed of your Squadron to a lower figure.

That would then allow you to keep up.

Often these games have a default speed figure which comes up when someone builds a mission, and many people don't change that speed, which is more a cruise speed... if the aircraft are climbing, then you end up falling behind.

todd92371
Oct-11-2016, 10:19
I know this is an older thread. I"m looking in the MIS file for the ability to change this. Can someone direct me to the text to change the cruise/climb speed in the text file?

THANKS.