PDA

View Full Version : Proper lane changes. . .

ATAG_Bliss
Aug-30-2012, 19:56
Am I the only one that drives like this for fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_napOis7zs&feature=player_embedded

Old_Canuck
Aug-30-2012, 20:05
I stopped after one too many close calls, Bliss. It was a 58 Plymouth and it's probably a good thing the engine seized some time in the '60s before someone got killed. :goofy

Dutch
Aug-30-2012, 20:31

Of course not. Why only last week, I received official notification that I'd been caught on a speed camera, doing 41mph in a 30mph zone.

When I read the notification, I felt so pleased and uplifted, I seriously felt like listening to ZZ Top.

However, I have been posed with a bit of a conundrum. They have offered to send me on a 'Speed Awareness Course' costing Ј79, or I have pay a fixed penalty of Ј60 and have my licence endorsed with 3 penalty points.

I have been in possession of this notice for over one week and am running out of time.

Also, the two albums 'Eliminator' and 'Afterburner' are becoming somewhat worn out.

Can anyone advise me as to the best course of action? In either regard?

Many Thanks,

SpeedFreak of Hell's waiting list. :goofy

Doc
Aug-30-2012, 21:37
I rate this :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ATAG_Bliss
Aug-30-2012, 22:39
I stopped after one too many close calls, Bliss. It was a 58 Plymouth and it's probably a good thing the engine seized some time in the '60s before someone got killed. :goofy

I hit the wall at 200mph in a mustang about 10 years ago - at the drag strip. It was the 1st "serious" car I ever built (2000hp small block car with a lenco 5 speed). I remember feeling the rear end come apart (mind you this was a split second) and immediately reached up to to my master kill switch (kill the fuel pumps and ignition). That's about all I remember. The car rolled about 5 times and slid to a stop on it's roof. Granted the car was back halved and had a funny car cage so i was well protected. That has been the one and only wreck in my entire life. That only made me want to go faster :)

Granted, I have settled down a bit since my younger days ( I know I'm real old lol - sorry!), but that immediate adrenaline rush of trying to control the uncontrollable always lingers in my head. It's such a natural high to go real fast, real quick :D

Old_Canuck
Aug-31-2012, 01:18
Watched a friend roll like that on a circular track. Couldn't believe it when he crawled out the window after only few seconds went by. Your drag racing experiences are about 100 times "higher octane" than anything I've been through on land. If a guy's still alive at 30 with that kind of action he's an old man -- like WWII bomber pilots near the end of their tours: considered old men in their twenties. The memory that haunts me sometimes is landing a floatplane on the coast of BC in fog. Coudn't see a thing out the windshield so I flipped the side window up while still coming off the step and a rock the size of a house went slowly past the wing tip. Most of the scariest things that almost kept me from getting old was in that floatplane. :salute:

Old_Canuck
Aug-31-2012, 01:32
Of course not. Why only last week, I received official notification that I'd been caught on a speed camera, doing 41mph in a 30mph zone.

When I read the notification, I felt so pleased and uplifted, I seriously felt like listening to ZZ Top.

However, I have been posed with a bit of a conundrum. They have offered to send me on a 'Speed Awareness Course' costing Ј79, or I have pay a fixed penalty of Ј60 and have my licence endorsed with 3 penalty points.

I have been in possession of this notice for over one week and am running out of time.

Also, the two albums 'Eliminator' and 'Afterburner' are becoming somewhat worn out.

Many Thanks,

Dutch, do the 3 penalty points affect your insurance? Just curious. I recommend listening to JJ Cale if you want to slow down a bit or Frank Sinatra if you want to get into a proper mood for assaulting a cop.

Dutch
Aug-31-2012, 11:10
Dutch, do the 3 penalty points affect your insurance? Just curious.

Yes they do but only slightly, however I don't think the 'speed awareness course' does.

The thing is, I am aware of speed. I know what speed is. It is the rate at which a particle of matter travels from point a) to point b). Even a weakly interacting massive one such as myself.

I mean, is someone going to walk up and down slowly, then run up and down quickly to make us 'aware' of what speed is? Nah, they'll just show lots of gory pictures and say 'Speed did this'. Then after 4 hours I'll go home in my car and still be aware of the fact that speed is still as defined above.

Actually, I think I'll just pay the fine and take the penalty points. I'd probably take the piss and insult the 'Trainer' so much I'd fail the course anyway. Such is life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SXK2UTQ_Y&feature=fvwrel

Sorry Bliss, not an intentional derailment! :)

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-31-2012, 11:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_napOis7zs&feature=player_embedded

I was born and raised in Montreal and I recall this was similar to the technique used by the young lads there for parallel parking and exiting a tight parking spot! LOL

Doc
Aug-31-2012, 11:30
ZZ Top :thumbsup: :goofy

Dutch
Aug-31-2012, 11:37

Yessiree. All these kids who describe things as 'cool' should go see ZZTop live. I couldn't take the grin off my face all the way through the gig. Now those blokes are COOL. :cool:

Old_Canuck
Aug-31-2012, 11:46

Agreed ZZ Top FTW. Don't have enough of them in my collection.

Feeble attempt to get this thread back on track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFJdCIEFbg

Doc
Aug-31-2012, 11:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5ioewi4pk

Old_Canuck
Aug-31-2012, 15:39
Have not heard that one or maybe just wasn't listening close enough. :thumbsup: Thx for sharing.

JG52_Krupi
Sep-06-2012, 14:25
Yes they do but only slightly, however I don't think the 'speed awareness course' does.

The thing is, I am aware of speed. I know what speed is. It is the rate at which a particle of matter travels from point a) to point b). Even a weakly interacting massive one such as myself.

I mean, is someone going to walk up and down slowly, then run up and down quickly to make us 'aware' of what speed is? Nah, they'll just show lots of gory pictures and say 'Speed did this'. Then after 4 hours I'll go home in my car and still be aware of the fact that speed is still as defined above.

Actually, I think I'll just pay the fine and take the penalty points. I'd probably take the piss and insult the 'Trainer' so much I'd fail the course anyway. Such is life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SXK2UTQ_Y&feature=fvwrel

Sorry Bliss, not an intentional derailment! :)

I watch this one :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

The drummer is a hero!

Doc
Sep-06-2012, 16:30
roflmao

Robo.
Sep-09-2012, 09:16

Many Thanks,

Dear Dutch. I had a similar issue, driving 39mph (!) in a 30mph zone. I bet that my 'photographic evidence' was just as blurry as yours. This happened at 02:34 am in a place called Tamworth, I was looking for a petrol station in my bosses Kia Sedona. [I am doing similar burnouts in that car, obviously.]

I'll cut the story short here and I tell you the 'Speed Awareness Course' was very boring and I got no certificate in the end. Also, I am a bit puzzled by the fact that mine costed me 90 Quid although I clearly did 2mph less than you. There is no justice in the world.

At the end of this pointless message I shall include my favourite speeding track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgYXLl3Wgc

Dutch
Sep-09-2012, 09:41
No Justice at all Robo mate.

In fact I noticed when I booked the course (yes, I decided to waste 4 hours of my life), that the course fee depends simply on where you live. Some authorities, whether police or council or both, rip you off for even more cash for your sheer audacity in taking them up on the offer.

Just more evidence of this having nothing to do with road safety, and everything to do with raking in cash by whatever means. Bastids. :grrr:

Thanks for the vid. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers supported Roxy Music on a tour way back in '75 or so, which was my first ever live rock gig. That was when Roxy Music were good of course, before they went all commercially popified. :)

71st_AH_Eagle
Sep-26-2012, 22:28
Why must it be that despite me being one of the youngest here, I'm the only one who doesn't have a need for speed? :ind: Maybe I should really come out of the shadows and head into the "light" or at least try to? I miss my friend now, she always cheered me up when I was down. :( Wish I wasn't confused in these matters or perhaps, I've spent too much time in the 19th century.