PDA

View Full Version : Mixture control

ATAG_Torian
Sep-05-2012, 01:43
Found this link on mixture control. It's not about WW2 fighters per say but does make reference to older non-alloy engines. Some1 might find a better link but I found this worth reading all the way down.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/solo/special/mixture.html

Now once we work out where the mixture lever actually sets the mixture on the Brit fighters we might be in with a possible chance of not burnin engines out.

Dutch
Sep-05-2012, 05:54
Nice article there mate, thanks for ferreting it out for us.

For Cliffs of Dover Mixture probs, see IvanK's post#59 here, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=458227#post458227

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-05-2012, 07:14
That's an excellent article, Torian. I have it "bookmarked" for future reference.

The crazy way the Spits and Hurries are currently modelled in CoD has me feeling busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger.

ATAG_Torian
Sep-05-2012, 07:15
Ahhh, thank u Dutch.
I did try and search the 1c forum as I thought surely some1 has posted something but I didn't see that one from Ivank.
That post explains a lot. It's more porked than I thought. It's like they have gone out of their way to really make it hard to fly red
and just can't bring themselves to fix it.
Would be rather sinister if they fix it in the BoM expansion but won't in the original. Guess we'll wait and see.

Dutch
Sep-05-2012, 08:01
It's like they have gone out of their way to really make it hard to fly red
and just can't bring themselves to fix it.

You can say that again if you like. All this bad mixture modelling faffing around plus ridiculously overmodelled drag in the radiators???? :grrr: Queue comments from Blue flyers regarding 'tactics'.

Just for interest's sake, hell just froze over and I took an E4 on the 'free flight France' quick mission. There is nothing to do. I found myself opening and closing radiators just to alleviate the boredom. It is possible to blow the engine by closing the radiators and going full throttle for a while, but you really have to try hard.

So in answer to Snapper's question of 'how do noobies cope?' - the answer is easy. They fly Blue. :wf:

ATAG_Torian
Sep-05-2012, 08:44
lmao Dutch. Your command of sarcasm is peerless.
To be sure the 109s are a comparative no-brainer. Prop pitch management in the E1s & E3s is not too hard to get a handle on either.
Kudos to the Krouts tho for automated engine systems.

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-05-2012, 09:03
The 109's were/are excellent machines and fearsome opponents. They deserve the same.

Dutch
Sep-05-2012, 09:55
Kudos to the Krouts tho for automated engine systems.

Agree, but that's the point of your thread. The mixture was 'auto' in the RAF planes too. One setting for general use, one setting for flying from Gibraltar to Malta.

I just want the 'general use' setting please Mr Shevchenko. :devilish:

(Oh, and the bloody radiator shutter drag factor reducing to the same if not less than the 109s).