PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Thrustmaster HOTAS Flight X Mapping?

SwashBuccaneer
Dec-27-2015, 18:17
New to the CLOD and found this place.

Was looking for any suggestions on best mappings for use with a thrustmaster HOTAS Flight X stick.

RebelSqurl
Dec-27-2015, 19:28
Hi SwashBuccaneer, welcome to the forums! The Thrustmaster HOTAS X is the flight control system I use as well. Just to clarify before answering, are you using just the joystick only, or the stick and attached throttle quadrant in combination?

BOO
Dec-28-2015, 06:14
Hi and welcome

Thrustmaster Hotas X stick and throttle here too.

This is set up really just for the Hurricane and Spit but it might give you some ideas (you can save presets for each aeroplane if you wish).

Button 1 (trigger) - i set this up as my "shift" key so it has no other function (by shift i mean i pull the trigger and press a key - the control menu accepts multiple keys for most instructions)

Button 2 - FIRE

Button 3 - trim down

Button 4 - Trim up

Button 5 - Toggle undercarriage

Button 6 - Toggle Flaps

Button 7 - Toggle boost Cut out

Button 8 - Wheel brakes

Button 9 - NOT ASSIGNED

Button 10 - Teamspeak push to talk

Button SE - Rad Close

Button ST - Rad Open

Button 1 (trigger) and Button SE - Prop pitch down

Button 1 (trigger) and button ST - Prop Pitch up

Button 1 (trigger) and left mouse - interact with on screen menu

POV HAT (I use ED tracker so have no need to assign views to it)

Up - Zoom in (speed 4)
Down - Zoom out (speed 4)
Right - view Dashborad
Left - NOT ASSIGNED

I use the paddles on the throttle for rudder but this is personal preference.

I found it preferable to clear any functions that you dont use in the control menu as it helps to avoid problems caused by hitting keys accidentally (especially if you dont know which one you hit). There are also some instances where a key assigned to two things will not override and will do both)

Finally, if you are using a standard keyboard, disable the windows key!! Its send me to my death almost as much as my opponents.

Hope there's sommat useful in there for you.

Feel free to seek me out and ask for help if you are on Teamspeak.

SwashBuccaneer
Dec-28-2015, 13:19
Great, thanks!

And, I have the one with the stick and handle throttle on the side: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXYMFS?keywords=thrustmaster%20hotas%20flight% 20x&qid=1451326729&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

RebelSqurl
Dec-28-2015, 14:12
Interesting setup you have there, Boosterdog. I can see your point about using one of the joystick buttons as a SHIFT key and binding it to other keys for various functions.

For myself, being in a squad that sometimes needs multiple TS channels for operations in campaigns like Storms of War, I tend to assign my throttle buttons for TS purposes and use other keys for various functions. For comparison's sake, here's my own HOTAS X setup for all RED aircraft (Spit, Hurri, Blennie)

Button 1 (trigger) = Guns
Button 2 = Drop bombs/ordinance
Button 3 = Gunsight on/off
Button 4 = Snap view to forward

Button 5, 6, 7 = Teamspeak channels (all push-to-talk)
Button 8 = Boost/WEP on/off

Button 9 = Decrease prop pitch
Button 10 = Increase prop pitch

Button 11 = Close air radiator
Button 12 = Open air radiator

HAT Switch = Default view settings (I don't use TrackIR as yet, so I use the HAT to look around; hence the button on the joystick to snap back forward quickly)

Zoom in/out is via Z and X keys on the keyboard.
Elevator trim uses the 2 (down) and 8 (up) keys on the numpad, while rudder trim uses the 4 (left) and 6 (right) numpad keys.

Various settings for the Blenheim, such as autopilot mode selection, gyrocompass left-right, and engine and fuel tank selection, are bound to the 1-0 keys above the QUERTY keyboard.

I hope that between mine and Booster's, plus your own preferences, you'll be able to map your HOTAS to your personal comfort and efficiency.

Good luck, and I hope to see you soon in the virtual skies! :salute:

ACG_Rob
Dec-29-2015, 05:34
Hi sorry to be dim but is mapping just going into the options and assigning a function to a button on the joystick or something else, I've just got a new thrust master hotas x myself. It's really good but I am missing out by not really understanding mapping. Thanks Rob.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

TWC_Fatal_Error
Dec-29-2015, 07:24
Here is a simple drawing you can label and use so until you become fluid with the stick so you have a reference. Some of us old guys need this type reference but have found it quite useful to jog the old 5 braincells we have left :)

Logan
Dec-30-2015, 15:47
Here is a simple drawing you can label and use so until you become fluid with the stick so you have a reference. Some of us old guys need this type reference but have found it quite useful to jog the old 5 braincells we have left :)
I hate to say it but flying three games... even with my CH stuff set up almost the same in each game, I have to use a map like that to remember what's what. Good luck with your setup Swash and welcome to the addiction! :thumbsup: