PDA

View Full Version : Just testing... Oculus owners wanted

ATAG_Colander
Jan-08-2016, 19:24

(No, I don't have one. I was just curious how hard it would be to do this in CloD)

Edit:
A short video: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/test/avitest2.avi
Don't mind the FPS counter as when saving AVI it is SLOOOOW..

Edit2:
Another video now inside cockpit (not sure why it came out darker when replaying the track):
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/test/avitest3.avi

Edit 3:
From what I noticed with the naked eye, there where a couple of "bugs" on the code so the following video should be better.
Bugs:
1.- The left/right eye where inverted. (this was good for the cross eye viewers)
2.- The view vector was wrong. It was focusing on 0.5 meters, now is infinity (as Oculus says it should be). This should fix the clouds looking awkward.
3.- The interpupillary distance was too short. It should fit the average viewer now.

Video here: http://teamfusion.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/avitest4.avi

This is about as much as I can do without actually having some VR solution.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-08-2016, 20:47
Does that means you were able to to it? If so seems many Oculus will be happy :)

ATAG_Colander
Jan-08-2016, 21:37
Does that means you were able to to it? If so seems many Oculus will be happy :)

Well, I did what you see in the screenshot but since I don't have any VR thingy, I don't know if it will work.
Maybe someone that has one could put the screenshot full screen and report back.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-08-2016, 22:05
Added a short video to the OP. Hopefully someone can take a VR look at it.

Mysticpuma
Jan-08-2016, 22:25
Sounds exciting. Hope someone with OR can check this out :)

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 09:28
I have the feeling that the interpupillary and the focus distances are wrong but is kind of hard to test without a device :D

Continu0
Jan-09-2016, 09:45
Colander, you know that several people offered a OR to team fusion, right? So if this is going further than "just testing", let the community know!

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 10:08
Colander, you know that several people offered a OR to team fusion, right? So if this is going further than "just testing", let the community know!

Testing is what decides if it can go any further :)

For now all I've been able to do is make the video so the center of each image is the distance between my eyes and put my face on the monitor. It does look 3D but tiny :D

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 10:23
I don't have OR but I tried the still image and the movie using an iPhone in a pair of Google Cardboard type goggles, streamed from my PC with the Intugame app.

The still image is most definitely 3D, the movie less so. It would be good to have a movie sequence from the cockpit view with a bit of head movement.

Intugame is interesting 'cos it uses the phone's gyro to give head tracking too.

This all seems worth experimenting with, particularly using one of the new fancy phones with a 4K screen :)

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 10:26
I don't have OR but I tried the still image and the movie using an iPhone in a pair of Google Cardboard type goggles, streamed from my PC with the Intugame app.

The still image is most definitely 3D, the movie less so. It would be good to have a movie sequence from the cockpit view with a bit of head movement.

Intugame is interesting 'cos it uses the phone's gyro to give head tracking too.

This all seems worth experimenting with, particularly using one of the new fancy phones with a 4K screen :)

Give me a few minutes and I'll prepare another movie.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 10:41
Ok, new video on the OP.

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 10:45
checking it now:thumbsup:

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 11:05
I tried the in-cockpit video. I was getting a pleasing 3D experience of the cockpit itself and a definite feeling of the clouds and other aircraft being 'out there' in the distance. The iPhone screen is a relatively low resolution and small distant objects were therefore breaking up badly, and rather spoiling the show.
It will be interesting to see if someone with a DK1 or DK2 can give it a whirl:)

Cheers:thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 11:08
I tried the in-cockpit video. I was getting a pleasing 3D experience of the cockpit itself and a definite feeling of the clouds and other aircraft being 'out there' in the distance. The iPhone screen is a relatively low resolution and small distant objects were therefore breaking up badly, and rather spoiling the show.
It will be interesting to see if someone with a DK1 or DK2 can give it a whirl:)

Cheers:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Do the flying bullets look as cool as I imagine?

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 11:55
Thanks!

Do the flying bullets look as cool as I imagine?

Hard to comment because of the low resolution.

I've just discovered that there is an update to Intugame with custom settings for distortion, resolution etc...I'll have a play :)

Mysticpuma
Jan-09-2016, 12:03
I'll embarrass myself here and say I used the cross-eye technique, so cross your eyes slightly and in the video a 3D version appears in the centre of your field of view......and if looks surprisingly good!

Is there any way of making an external version so maybe flying over a group of bombers or attacking them, that way it would give a better perception if depth between the two?

Looks great though and I'll test it on my 3D tv in about an hour. But seriously, it works for me :)

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 12:11
I'll embarrass myself here and say I used the cross-eye technique, so cross your eyes slightly and in the video a 3D version appears in the centre of your field of view......and if looks surprisingly good!

Is there any way of making an external version so maybe flying over a group of bombers or attacking them, that way it would give a better perception if depth between the two?

Looks great though and I'll test it on my 3D tv in about an hour. But seriously, it works for me :)

Yeah..the cross-eye technique works a treat!

..is there really a danger of getting stuck cross-eyed if the wind changes? :devilish:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-09-2016, 12:35
I did the cross-eyes technique on my big screen (46" -- not so big these days, I guess) and I, too, found it worked surprisingly well. I'd love to see more with

1) in and around clouds, and

2) flying fast on the deck

Both of the above while panning around as if using Track IR, in addition to just looking straight ahead.

Oh, and

3) shooting tracers

:)

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-09-2016, 13:32
I put the vids into me home made google cardboard and used my Samsung Note 3 with some nice results....The interior cockpit was really nice..very 3D effect....Just the distance clouds I was getting a lot of over 3D like as if the 2 images were too different for distance stuff...

Great work again Col....Always wanted to know what CLOD would be like in 3D...

ATAG_Dave
Jan-09-2016, 13:53
I'll embarrass myself here and say I used the cross-eye technique,

I just tried this too and er ..gave myself a headache :D

I did a half arsed test of clod in 3D a while back using my LG 3d tv with 3d passive glasses to convert the 2d to 3D (my TV has this built in so anything it displays can be converted to a 3d image - its not exactly perfect with any source but does give a bit of depth to the image). The in cockpit / close up stuff worked surprisingly well, especially tracers .Further away objects less so. One thing that was very wierd looking was when flying over a (small) town at high ish alt the town looked like it was sticking up proud from the ground - hard to explain properly. might be worth doing some tests over land / towns and so on.

interesting idea :thumbsup:

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-09-2016, 14:35
I tryed the crosseyed technique and i saw 3 images? :grrr:

Do i need to get really close to screen? I always see 3 images :(

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 14:57
The interior cockpit was really nice..very 3D effect....Just the distance clouds I was getting a lot of over 3D like as if the 2 images were too different for distance stuff...

Thanks. Those are the details I was wondering.

Lensman
Jan-09-2016, 15:48
I tryed the crosseyed technique and i saw 3 images? :grrr:

Do i need to get really close to screen? I always see 3 images :(

3 is normal..just relax and watch the middle one..

Normal viewing distance too

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2016, 15:52
The problem with xeye is that your left eye will see the right image and the other way around so the stereo will be wrong.
If the video is flipped, I guess it will look better.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-09-2016, 21:47
3 is normal..just relax and watch the middle one..

Normal viewing distance too

But, but... i wont be able to fly like that! :goofy

Now seriously. I get headaches and i cant concentrate myself. But i hope this one comes out on top as another proof of CLOD engine longevity (no to mention the TF members creativity and knowledge) Horray!

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-10-2016, 00:52
I am really excited by 3D in CLOD...or WWII flight sims.....but until they get a small screen that has the massive amount of pixels needed to see contacts in the distance there's going to be a problem...They'll get there in the end....

ATAG_Colander
Jan-10-2016, 09:28
I am really excited by 3D in CLOD...or WWII flight sims.....but until they get a small screen that has the massive amount of pixels needed to see contacts in the distance there's going to be a problem...They'll get there in the end....

Actually, far dots should be easier to see in oculus. If you lower the monitor resolution the dots are more evident.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jan-10-2016, 11:22
I'm part of the initial March shipment for CV1, once I get it I'll help out with whatever Colander.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-10-2016, 12:09
See edit 3 in the OP which includes a longer video.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-10-2016, 12:35
I was able to see it with this trick:
Make the video smaller so the center of each image is the distance between your pupils.
Get close to the monitor and focus so you see the two images merge.

I also tried with binoculars inverted and is a bit easier.

Sadly is all tiny :D

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-10-2016, 13:22
The overall visuals are better here than using NVidia's 3D Vision shutter glasses. The 3D Vision was giving me lots of artefacting with clouds and water surfaces. Also, the 3D Vision gave me pretty much the same in-cockpit three dimensional effect as in your videos, but outside clouds and terrain seemed noticeably two dimensional in contrast. The exterior view of the Bf110 in your second video looked far better in terms of visual three dimensional quality (including terrain and flak bursts) than what I recall the 3D Vision was giving.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-10-2016, 14:22
The overall visuals are better here than using NVidia's 3D Vision shutter glasses. The 3D Vision was giving me lots of artefacting with clouds and water surfaces. Also, the 3D Vision gave me pretty much the same in-cockpit three dimensional effect as in your videos, but outside clouds and terrain seemed noticeably two dimensional in contrast. The exterior view of the Bf110 in your second video looked far better in terms of visual three dimensional quality (including terrain and flak bursts) than what I recall the 3D Vision was giving.

The 3rd video should look a lot better than the first 2 because of the fixes.
I don't know if the FOV I used to record it is the ideal for VR though.

Chivas
Jan-10-2016, 14:37
Actually, far dots should be easier to see in oculus. If you lower the monitor resolution the dots are more evident.

That's exactly what I've been thinking for sometime. Although the dot might be too blurry to see. I have a DK2, but I didn't use it much because my IPD was too wide for a comfortable experience. Thankfully the CV1 has a physical IPD adjustment, custom VR display, and custom optic lenses which could make seeing the dots much clearer in combat flight sims, even if the CV1 resolution isn't optimal. What is your IPD, I think around 67 is optimal. I might make my DK2 available too TF, but would like it returned. Send private message.

Lensman
Jan-10-2016, 14:47
The 3rd video should look a lot better than the first 2 because of the fixes.
I don't know if the FOV I used to record it is the ideal for VR though.

Indeed...it's looking close to awesome using my google cardboard goggles and iPhone 6, via Intugame streaming app.

The only annoying glitch was when you switched to zoom view..it made my eyes go squiffy for a sec. So sticking to the same FOV seems important.

The distant objects and clouds are now looking smooth and normal.

:thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-10-2016, 16:32
OK, tried a few more devices.

Laptop (HP 15.6"): Basically same effect as the 46" LCD Samsung TV. Crossing the eyes, then relaxing them to bring the middle screen into focus worked, although the two outside screens were distracting and caused me to sometimes lose focus on the middle screen. Also -- the Spitfire target was double as it flashed though the reticle.

Apple iPad Air 2: I don't have an app to directly play .avi, so I simply uploaded Colander's third video to YouTube as a quick 'n easy converter. Some loss in video quality, including significantly darker than the .avi, but workable. I was disappointed in that I found it difficult to get the 3D effect to work, no matter how hard I tried crossing my eyes, plus moving the iPad closer/further to my eyes.

iPhone 5s: As with the iPad I used the YouTube video to try. EUREKA!!!!! This turned out to be freaking AWESOME!!!! The 3D effect was spectacular! By moving the iPhone back and forth a bit roughly 9" from my eyes the two screens suddenly became one 3D screen! I felt no eye strain, and no tendency to lose focus. The hard-manoeuvring Spit was not double-imaged as it flashed by. I think I just had a taste of what the Oculus Rift guys have experienced. There were no distracting screens on either side -- just the one 3D screen in front. Definitely deserves more investigation. I will upload the first two videos in the OP to YouTube to try out.

J2_SteveF
Jan-11-2016, 08:22
:)

I've got a DK2

At work at the moment, but I'm definitely going to check this out. I just posted on SimHq that I've only used the Dk2 in DCS. DCS is not a sim I play often, so the DK2 is redundant at the moment. I said I would not buy a release VR unit unless it could be used in Cliffs or Rise of Flight and then blow me I find this thread :)

EDIT: Latest OR Win drivers don't allow extended monitor, so I cant test the .avi.

Bummer, but heartening that TF are at least looking at VR
Because it's excellent in DCS :)

Infinity
Jan-11-2016, 23:46

If they render at all, yes.

Actually the real problem, at least with the DK2, was you couldn't make out your opponent's orientation unless he was well within firing range. Even with icons on, I found dogfights pretty hopeless unless against some big assed transport.

Toxin1
Jan-12-2016, 13:56
Viewed both AVIs on my DK2 and they were ok as far as 360 viewing with expected distortion at the edges due to the warp around effect. Seems promising. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Jan-12-2016, 14:20
Viewed both AVIs on my DK2 and they were ok as far as 360 viewing with expected distortion at the edges due to the warp around effect. Seems promising. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that video has no distortion correction whatsoever.
Getting the game to do stereoscopic render is only step 1 of 100 (but without step one, the other 99 are useless :))

Codename_Duchess
Jan-13-2016, 10:05
Hi all,

I saw this over at simhq, I have a DK2 and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Getting Clod in VR would be absolutely stellar. I honestly haven't had much hope seeing as Clod is past its official expiry date, and the VR headsets are changing so much it's a constantly moving target.

In any case, if it was possible, and if there was someone interested in making it work, I'm game.

J2_SteveF
Jan-13-2016, 14:27
Hi Toxin
Are you using an older driver for the rift ?

Toxin1
Jan-13-2016, 18:05
Hi Toxin
Are you using an older driver for the rift ?

I am using the 0.8 SDK runtime and Kolor eyes 360 player for viewing AVI files. http://www.kolor.com/kolor-eyes/:-)

Salmo
Jan-16-2016, 20:57
Exciting development here :thumbsup: Imagine CLOD as Oculus VR compatible, with the new Oculus touch controllers too, having your hands in the game ! I can dream can't I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKKH0pNdrc

J2_SteveF
Jan-17-2016, 07:27
I am using the 0.8 SDK runtime and Kolor eyes 360 player for viewing AVI files. http://www.kolor.com/kolor-eyes/:-)

Cheers Toxin, I'll give that a go
:thumbsup:

Buchon
Jan-19-2016, 13:25
DK2 user reporting in!!

I own a DK2 since the last summer and my first try with a AAA game was try get this working, I did try every injector with zero results, nothing hooks whit CLOD so yeah, this is a great miliestone you got there, congrats.

Tested avitest4 in Windows10 in extended mode using the Oculus runtime 0.5 through the switcher that can be found here (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3paivl/rtu_package_to_switch_between_oculus_07_and_05/) and played interpolated to 60 FPS
The main problem is that the aspect ratio is wrong, its streched vertically so everything looks weird, but it works incredibly well, it almost put a tear in my eyes, i have feel the vertigo in those loops over the chanel, it was amazing.
There the problems of the no chromatic aberration correction and the tough one of the double sig.

A few notes that you should have in mind:

1- You should match the correct FOV for the Oculus, in my test 110 its perfect.
2- Using the Aim Zoom its a bad idea, even for searching targets, it triggers motion sickness cos breaks the FOV.

Also pls, look around the cockpit, lean foward to the weapons sig and the instruments, it will be amazing to see that.

Overall it looks amazing, I mean, I was there in the cockpit but this is hard to explain, explain VR its like explain how amazing watch movies is to someone just showing him pictures, you should just watch it your self.

This its not just a screen straped in your face guys, this its real.

J2_SteveF
Jan-19-2016, 17:01
Another DK2 owner finally managed to test the AVIs.
Using Win 10, discovered the OR defaults to extended mode if you kill the runtime.

Like Buchon I've tried a few injectors to get Cliffs working on the rift with no joy.
I've managed to get RoF working in 2d with Vorpx, but no joy with CoD

First the cockpit is amazing in 3D, comparable to DCS VR native support.
Agree on the zoom through the site, caused me some queasiness too, airsick even. How real is that :D

My only comment has been mentioned in posts above and that is the clouds have a odd look to them.

But over all effect is cool :)

I hope we see some dev work to get VR in CoD

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jan-20-2016, 00:32
His reactions are pretty awesome, can't wait to try this hardware out.

https://youtu.be/1gX88bg4sC4?t=1470

Chivas
Jan-20-2016, 13:34
His reactions are pretty awesome, can't wait to try this hardware out.

https://youtu.be/1gX88bg4sC4?t=1470

Matt Wagner, a member of the DCS team, made an encouraging comment on the youtube video.

Nice video Pete, a few comments regarding DCS + Rift:
1- Keypad 5 re-centers view
2- We now have DCS 1.5/2.0 working great in the CV Rift with 1.0 RC runtime. Night and day compared to DK2 with 0.8.
3- The big item we are now working on is better mouse interaction with the cockpit while in VR.
4- For Rift CV you will ideally want 90 FPS; however, we have "timewarp" working great now. So, even at less than 90 FPS, the experience is very smooth.

Buchon
Jan-20-2016, 14:13
I tested DCS 1.5 Beta with my DK2, these guys know that this is big and this tech will revolucione the sim genere.
When you are in VR the sim envolve you, you are just there, and if the VR world its in real scale like happen in simulators then become a full imersion experience.
Be in the cockpit of the mustang in DCS is mindblowing, the scale its real, the simulation its there too ... so yeah, amazing.

If you made a VR cockpit with the controls matching the VR controls the imersion is amazing, this video about WarThunder explain somewhat that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0-UR3FVH1E

About the tests:

1- To fix the aspect ratio issue in future tests you should match the render resolution per eye of DK2, so you need render 960 x 1080 per eye and the FOV recomended is 100 but I found 110 more confortable.

2- First record the cockpit of a plane grounded and then raise the bar slowly, go to the air then take some prety fly by and then some combat and dont do fast movements with the head in any of them to a void motion sickness.

If you can get this working this can revitalize this game, I sure you, I played the shit out of Live for Speed just becouse the VR, in VR the graphics are less important its all about the imersion and if it works it is amazing.

If you can made this first step I think that the best shot its made contact with Ralf from VorpX, if he gets involved he can take care of the rest SDK implementation.

M0RT
Jan-24-2016, 12:23
Just another DK2 Owner/CV1 pre order guy checking in.

New to the forum but long time flight simmer, though I haven't played a lot of CLOD.

I've been actively involved in beta testing 'FlyInside' the plug in for FSX/Prepar3D and I'd love to try and help with this in any way I can.

Cheers,

Bruce

EDIT: Just watched the last video on my DK2, it's a very promising start!

graziano
Jan-31-2016, 11:52
I am so happy someone managed to do this! I've just watched the videos on my DIY rift (1280 x 800) and this looks great! Obvious things to do are the the screen ratio (the images can't be squeezed for Rift), and lens distortion, but the important thing is that there seem to be no artifacts like for example 2D clouds popping out from the image, which would be much more difficult to fix.

Due to (already) many types of HMDs out there i think you need to include the interpupillary distance adjustment as not always an eye gets just in the middle of the 3d half-picture. But i believe you already know this if you got that far :)

I'd be glad to help in whatever i can. I was losing hope i'd ever see CLOD in VR :)

Tempered
Feb-28-2016, 17:07
So I have a DK2, a CV1 on order, love CLOD, and think you guys are doing an amazing job. Once I get my cv1, I would be willing to lend my dk2 to the team, if it would help get VR up and running for CLOD. They are suppose to start shipping the cv1 at the end of march, I believe. Not real sure where I stand on the shipping list.

Winger
Feb-29-2016, 11:12
Hi, also got a CV1 on preorder. Sadly April shippingdate. The good thing however is that my collegue is original kickstarterbacker and gets oen of the free units. He doenst have the PC to run it so he agreed to lend me his unit until mine arrives.
A few days ago he got a mail from OVR that asks him to confirm shippingadress because they are about to ship:)
So shouldnt be out too far. So in case there is still help needed id like to offer my help to test OR support.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Mar-01-2016, 03:21
This thread is making me so happy.

I can't wait for this to work in CloD.

Good luck everyone.