PDA

View Full Version : Can Teamspeak not have a password?

BOO
Jan-18-2016, 07:05
Hi

Im sure you'll all be aware of the recent episodes of idiots 9and one in particular) deciding that bugging us is a better use of their time than finding a girl/boyfreind (presuming one would have them....which i doubt) and im sure its been asked and considered many times, but cant we password the ATAG teamspeak?

Banning only seems to last until the name changes and i wouldnt think that id-ing an IP is either possible or practicable given their dynamic nature.

Sadly, for me a least, it completely ruins my enjoyment of the game (to the point i spend a lot of time either off TS or sat in the AFK where i cant be bugged or simply not playing)............And its all the more irritating because he has a voice that would match a face that i could never tire of punching either!

I know that all puts an extra burden on the ATAG admin but it could be passed from peer to peer by us all as well (since we mostly know whos genuine and whos not).

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-18-2016, 09:25
You get my vote, BD. :thumbsup:

As you might suspect, we've had ongoing discussions about this very thing (TS password), but historically we ultimately decided against it since many players on the ATAG server are not forum members, so they would find themselves unable to join Teamspeak. I know, sounds lame considering the havoc the current crop of trolls have created. Until recently, the trolls were merely annoying and usually dealt with quickly and decisively. Now they seem to be hitting us repeatedly, causing regular players like yourself and others to log off -- not what we want!!!

Let's open this for a quick discussion. Would it make sense to have a dedicated thread/forum here that we could post the password of the day/week/month/whatever? If this cures the troll problem, then it's a small price to pay in terms of any additional workload or hassle for ATAG. From my POV as an ATAG Admin, a further advantage would be to oblige players to actually register as members here in this forum to access the current password. We occasionally get a "bad actor" on the server that repeatedly breaks one or both of the two Server rules (no team killing, no bad/abusive language) that is not a member of this forum (and probably hasn't read the rules -- all two of 'em). In the face of many player complaints, we're then forced to deny the bad player access to the server until he joins this forum so I can communicate with him....and hopefully set him straight so his access can be re-instated.

If we were going to start passwording the ATAG Teamspeak, then IMHO we would have to give at least a week or two notice on the server to give everyone a fair chance to register into this forum.

My 2 cents. :D

Snapper :salute:

ATAG_Dave
Jan-18-2016, 09:52
Would it make sense to have a dedicated thread/forum here that we could post the password of the day/week/month/whatever?

+1 to that plus stick it on the in game 'welcome page' that players see when they log into the ATAG server which wil help with anyone who isnt regeistered here.

Add the PW to Lews welcome message too for good measure Id suggest.

BOO
Jan-18-2016, 11:55
[QUOTE= but historically we ultimately decided against it since many players on the ATAG server are not forum members, so they would find themselves unable to join Teamspeak. [/QUOTE]

I see the dilemma, its hard enough getting some to use TS as it is i guess.

Being English , middle aged and (accordingly) grumpy, I'd have everyone signing up to the forum, then to TS and then, and only then, being allowed into the server. Perhaps then i could use a runway without being rammed head on, take off at Ole Plage without being gunned to death by a spit and concentrate on lining up a shot without worrying about someone cutting off my prop diving in for their 0.01% of the kill (i see now why Barn Swallow lives on the edge of space!!). :-)

Id also have button assigned to "give a stern look"

That aside i do think its worth saying, as a non ATAG pleb, i really do appreciate the work and effort all you fellas put into this and i do see the dilemma and thanks for considering the matter.

Kind Regards

Artist
Jan-18-2016, 14:34
There's been the same discussion (for the obvious reasons) recently here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18884), with some interesting posts.

I am not sure what the situation is now, but if it's the same as then, this were my 2 cents:

Normally this kind of 'attack' is done by automated scripts which just walk through some kind of list (list of teamspeak servers aqcuired somewhere, or maybe even just iterate through all IP-adresses). It's just: (1) test if there's an open, not password-protected teamspeak server, (2a) if not, test next item in list, (2b) if yes, fine: do what you wanted to do.

As long as there are many (enough) open servers, nobody is going to make the effort to even try some standard passwords, let alone research them somwhere.

Given that, even "atag" as password would probably be enough of a hurdle to prevent most of this kind of attack.

But Doublestandards is right: The password must be easily known by anybody who as much as just thought about getting into CloD.

I never set up a TS-Server, but would it be possible to add text to the password dialog (similarily to .htaccess), saying: "Please enter 'atag' here:"?

DRock
Jan-18-2016, 15:29
+1 to that plus stick it on the in game 'welcome page' that players see when they log into the ATAG server which wil help with anyone who isnt regeistered here.

Add the PW to Lews welcome message too for good measure Id suggest.

+2

The small hassle is worth extra security.

Besides, you can put the password into our TS bookmark, so you don't have to enter it each time.

SoW uses it for their TS. Works great.

RCAF Rob
Jan-18-2016, 16:15
I like the idea of getting the password when you sign up on A TAG and make your intro post which I think is now mandatory to download the TF patches?

Then save the PW in TS and forget it. Probably no need to ever change it again. This would be a small hassle for new players and maybe make it difficult for them to get information and get signed up and they may become discouraged, but we don't need to PW the entire TS, we could leave most of it open and only PW the sub-channels on the Axis and Allied channel. This way people can still get in but when the trolls show up , just move down to the password protected channel until the get bored and leave.

New or potential players could still get in and fly or get advice and help from players most of the time, only when the trolls are on and they won't be getting any help anyway will they be left out.

BOO
Jan-19-2016, 11:12
I like the idea of getting the password when you sign up on A TAG and make your intro post which I think is now mandatory to download the TF patches?

Then save the PW in TS and forget it. Probably no need to ever change it again. This would be a small hassle for new players and maybe make it difficult for them to get information and get signed up and they may become discouraged, but we don't need to PW the entire TS, we could leave most of it open and only PW the sub-channels on the Axis and Allied channel. This way people can still get in but when the trolls show up , just move down to the password protected channel until the get bored and leave.

New or potential players could still get in and fly or get advice and help from players most of the time, only when the trolls are on and they won't be getting any help anyway will they be left out.

to the uneducated (me) Robs suggestion makes perfect sense. In terms of putting off newcomers i do think we have to cut the apron strings somewhere. I know this'll make me sound at odds with the ATAG ethos but Lewis's post is the most straightforward, all in one, start up guide you can get for Clod. All you need to do is read it. Twice if you have to. Id also say the post sets the ATAG tone very nicely. Chucks guide is also a very well constructed, professional and easy to understand. I read them both. I still do. I still ask questions but have never asked "so how do i start my plane" (land my plane....yes, but only on the rare occasions i get back cos its been a while).

and from experience (3 times in the 2 months ive been around), the guy who doesnt read the post or the manual is the guy who keeps you waiting for an hour on the runway whilst he talks off mic to his kids after asking you for help, occasionally breaking the silence with "sorry, be right back"

life is full of small hassles (waiting your turn to shoot, going the right way down the runway on a busy airfield, not cussing, remembering that youre flying a TV, not shooting down friendlies cos they weave less). As such id prefer see new people on here who are able to navigate one more small one successfully whilst enjoying speaking to them without some ill odoured teenage inadequate giving me an ear infection.

BTW - how do you start a plane?

Steerpots
Jan-31-2016, 07:01
I would suggest that a password would be a nightmare to admin i.e. getting any change out to the community.

Why not:
1 Just mute the idiot(s)

2. Have a lot more admins appointed so that idiots can be dealt with via name and IP address for a ban that is appropriate to the "crime"
Admins may possibly have different permissions so that there are not a whole army of people with complete server rights.
Group 1: A large group with the ability to permanently mute/un-mute a user based on their name AND IP(muting applies to both bits of data)
Group 2: Smaller group with more permissions to deal with higher level admin functions and to ban a user from server.
Group 3: Elite group with total server rights

3. Only registered users can join the TS server, unregister the idiots; will be an admin overhead and an extra step to those wishing to fly using ATAG TS.

Steerpots

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 11:50
I would suggest that a password would be a nightmare to admin i.e. getting any change out to the community.

Why not:
1 Just mute the idiot(s)

2. Have a lot more admins appointed so that idiots can be dealt with via name and IP address for a ban that is appropriate to the "crime"
Admins may possibly have different permissions so that there are not a whole army of people with complete server rights.
Group 1: A large group with the ability to permanently mute/un-mute a user based on their name AND IP(muting applies to both bits of data)
Group 2: Smaller group with more permissions to deal with higher level admin functions and to ban a user from server.
Group 3: Elite group with total server rights

3. Only registered users can join the TS server, unregister the idiots; will be an admin overhead and an extra step to those wishing to fly using ATAG TS.

Steerpots

Another afternoon of being bugged by a cross between Borat and Kevin the teenager promts me to bump this thread!

First in reply to Steerpots:

1) Mute the idiots. they change name and reappear. plus i like to fly and have one monitor - i dont like constantly having to access TS to mute muppets

2) More admins wont stop the annoyance happening. From what ive seem it also take time to ban an IP if it can be done on TS at all. That said it is frustrating when there are no ATAGs about and although a larger group may stop that why should we have to break from play to sort something that does not even need to be a problem?

So, I am back to asking for a simple password that could be put on the ATAG welcome splash and/or the briefing help discussed elsewhere - that way the game has to be purchased and installed at least. It could also be put on Lew's welcome post (the need to look for the password not the actual password) and, as one of the regular greeters to new players (there is a small band of us) we could could also stress it.

The bothersome nature of it previously saw me stop using TS and ultimately ATAG (no fun without TS) and its worrying to see that after a break its still a problem at times.

The TS aspect makes this game. We stress its benefits to all newcomers some of whom are nervous of it at first and some of whom just want to get out their real world worries of perhaps and play socially. Shame then if we cant give it a coat of looking at to stop idiots and spotty virgins ruining it!

Kind Regards

BOO

Vadr
Jun-30-2016, 13:11
Given our recent discussion on getting new players started, it sounds like re-thinking the splash screen and mission briefings as whole might not be a bad ATAG idea.

That's valuable real estate that's being under-used, says I. You guys could put a lot of stuff there. And as has been pointed out, having info there would make it a lot more convenient to point the noobs to it over Teamspeak/server chat than trying to direct them to the forums.

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-30-2016, 13:42
, having info there would make it a lot more convenient to point the noobs to it over Teamspeak/server chat than trying to direct them to the forums.

But they would have to have already been there to put the password in to get on teamspeak to be able to be advised to go get the password to get on teamspeak

hehe.. just pulling your leg ! :)

Those morons do tend to sod off pretty quickly when ignored...

but yeah... I think a password isn't a bad idea at all...

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 13:51
Cumar has been bugging people all afternoon - thats not sodding off quick- thats lingering like a bad ex at a wedding.

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-30-2016, 14:13
Cumar has been bugging people all afternoon - thats not sodding off quick- thats lingering like a bad ex at a wedding.

Hmm...

Well a password seems like a good idea. But I asume it would need to change from time to time.

Not sure how effective it woudl be either... publishing the password

Not trying to be a nay sayer here by the way...

keeping those idiots at bay would be very welcome.

Could be worth a trial period at least?

InvaderZim
Jun-30-2016, 14:59
How about adding a ready room to both Allied and Axis channels. The ready room is "no password required", noobs can gather there until they register. Then have the actual Allied and Axis Channels protected, with the password being given to those who register? this allows unregistered new people to get information and allows seasoned players a break from trolls.

Any password my have to be changed intermittently as a seasoned player may become disgruntled and publish the password to the public; then we are back to square 1.

InvaderZim
Jun-30-2016, 15:07
In your splash screen (welcome screen) idea you could post both the "use ready room" for noobs and the requirement to register prior to entering the main channel.

ATAG_Colander
Jun-30-2016, 15:15
Ideally TS would check against the player being in the server to let you in the game channels.

This, however, has a few issues:
1.- It would be required for all users to have their TS name = to their Steam name
2.- You could not get into TS to ask for help because you can't join the server
3.- Someone has to code it.

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-30-2016, 15:20
In your splash screen (welcome screen) idea you could post both the "use ready room" for noobs and the requirement to register prior to entering the main channel.

That's a really good idea. I like!

Vlerkies
Jun-30-2016, 15:33
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18884

Vadr
Jun-30-2016, 16:07
But they would have to have already been there to put the password in to get on teamspeak to be able to be advised to go get the password to get on teamspeak

hehe.. just pulling your leg ! :)

:-P

I do think the issue is the player who gets to the server before he gets to the forums. If he misses/can't find the TS password on splash or in briefing, he can ask on server chat, and it gets very easy to point him in the right direction from there. Likewise, if he can get the TS password, but can't figure out how to launch, it gets easy to tell him to scroll to the bottom of the briefing for a link to instructions, instead of having to walk him through it or read him off a forum post address.

Adding a link to Lewis' Getting Started post is a great idea as well.

S!

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 17:37
Hmm...

Well a password seems like a good idea. But I asume it would need to change from time to time.

Not sure how effective it woudl be either... publishing the password

Not trying to be a nay sayer here by the way...

keeping those idiots at bay would be very welcome.

Could be worth a trial period at least?

Were over thinking and misunderstanding some of this fellas.

Highseas, the trolls find the the ATAG TS server through automated malware. They dont know what it is just that its not got password protection. Chances are you could publish the password openly in the forum and it still would never be a problem.

However, i am not suggesting that the password is published there. I suggest that the password is put on the ATAG welcome message you get when you enter the server and again on the briefing page. Trolls have TS presumably and the internet with which they could access the ATAG site but do not have CLOD and therefore no access to the information. As we are not concerned about trolls on the AvA game server, publishing it there is not a concern. A process to deal with players abusing players is already in place and works.

Vadr, absolutley right mate. Because its on the welcome message in the ATAG server a player will not miss the password by hopping to the server before the forum because they will see a big spalsh screen " WELCOME TO ATAG ya de ya JOIN US ON TEAMSPEAK Server 1234.1251.1254 PASSWORD "BUMFACE" or whatever. Once in the game, those that just press "OK" will no doubt eventually use chat to type "how do i get on TS?" - the easy answer is "go the the briefing page, note down the password and follow the links. THe password could also be added to Server message that highlights the TS address in game.

Or they will got to the forum to the TS section, in which will be a sticky post saying something like "Get thee to thy server and read the damn message this time"

Lews welcome post would say similar in the bit on TS.

So thats it - as far as i can no need for stream names or anything complicated. I also understand that the passowrd and channel hierarchy for TS is also pretty easy (for clever people) to alter and set up although i assume all it needs is a password on the main gate as opposed to rooms inside (thus denying any access to Trolls).

Regards

BOO

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-30-2016, 17:44
i am not suggesting that the password is published there. I suggest that the password is put on the ATAG welcome message you get when you enter the server

Ahh...! Yeah.. I missed the point somewhat !

That's a fine idea.

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 18:13
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18884

Hi Vlerkies

Im aware of thread. I stated this as nothing ever came of it. I rebooted it because nothing came of that.

Not sure if you agree of disagree with what im saying and im quite happy to be proven wrong. However, i cant be proven anything unless its trailed.

Regards

BOO

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 18:17

Zim, my only concern is having ANY access to any room is that a troll could just sit there and prey on the good and trusting nature of many of us to get the password. I would happen with folk getting caught off guard. As above, im hoping i havnt missed anything but i dont think there is a need to register.

Kind Regards

BOO

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 18:19
Ahh...! Yeah.. I missed the point somewhat !

That's a fine idea.

I witter mate. Its easy to miss my points!! :-)

Vlerkies
Jul-01-2016, 02:56
Hi Vlerkies

Im aware of thread. I stated this as nothing ever came of it. I rebooted it because nothing came of that.

Not sure if you agree of disagree with what im saying and im quite happy to be proven wrong. However, i cant be proven anything unless its trailed.

Regards

BOO

Just added the link for others to reference the discussion that was held previously.
:salute:

BOO
Jul-01-2016, 04:35
Just added the link for others to reference the discussion that was held previously.
:salute:

All points are good points - the more info the better!

~S!~

71st_AH_KneppMeister
Jul-01-2016, 11:35
Giving TS a password does need to happen. I like the previously mentioned method of putting a password on the entire server, and giving it ingame and on the forums in threads limited to registered users only. From what I understand these guys are just using malware to randomly go through TS channel lists until they find an unprotected server, so that would keep the interruptions to almost nil.

BOO
Jul-03-2016, 12:15
Sorry Chaps but im going to keep bumping this.

This afternoon i sat down with the sound on the TV on so that my 8 year old could see and hear what all the fuss is about with CLOD (hes all Dr Who and Minecraft).

Stupidly i put on TS as i saw Knight and Moose on. Within 5 mins im throwing the joystick and hitting Tab-alt like a madman to get to the desktop in order to shut it down as 2 possibly 3 kids probably not much old that my own are yelling obscenities down the mic.

We seem to have an easy solution, many of us agree that TS needs a server password (although i sure some dont).

We also have other young members on here now too. It doesn't take long to establish who there are and, if youre of a mind, corral them into a situation. And remember its not just beavis and butthead who troll.

I personally think that if we are encouraging people to use TS then meaningful steps need to be taken to provide some basic protection for its users.

Regards

BOO

ATAG_Dave
Jul-03-2016, 12:30
Sorry Chaps but im going to keep bumping this.

This afternoon i sat down with the sound on the TV on so that my 8 year old could see and hear what all the fuss is about with CLOD (hes all Dr Who and Minecraft).

Stupidly i put on TS as i saw Knight and Moose on. Within 5 mins im throwing the joystick and hitting Tab-alt like a madman to get to the desktop in order to shut it down as 2 possibly 3 kids probably not much old that my own are yelling obscenities down the mic.

We seem to have an easy solution, many of us agree that TS needs a server password (although i sure some dont).

We also have other young members on here now too. It doesn't take long to establish who there are and, if youre of a mind, corral them into a situation. And remember its not just beavis and butthead who troll.

I personally think that if we are encouraging people to use TS then meaningful steps need to be taken to provide some basic protection for its users.

Regards

BOO

keep yer 'air on Boo - its under discussion :thumbsup:

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jul-03-2016, 12:58
@ Boosterdog

A quick solution but that works like a charm...

Next time than one of these " smart ones " will join the ATAG Ts simply do this:

- Right click on his username on the Ts window
- Select " Mute Client "

Until you will not change it again you will be not able to hear anymore the " smart one " ( and also all the times that he will rejoin ) ruining your game experience while instead you will continue to hear all the other players and you can enjoy Ts, as per normal and as it should be, with us! ;)

Quick and easy! ;) :salute:

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jul-03-2016, 13:07
If the solution proposed above do not work try this next time that another " smart one " will show up! :)

BOO
Jul-03-2016, 14:11
ll Dave's says its under discussion so that' good enough for me for now.

As for mutin - ifyou can mute without alt tabbing (i cant) thats good but the samrt ones just change their name

Anyhow - its under discussion. :-)

Lets hope its not a long one :-)

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-03-2016, 14:14
ll Dave's says its under discussion so that' good enough for me for now.

As for mutin - ifyou can mute without alt tabbing (i cant) thats good but the samrt ones just change their name

Anyhow - its under discussion. :-)

Lets hope its not a long one :-)

Just to confirm Dave's post, it is under discussion; we're just working out the best way to do this. :salute:

BOO
Jul-03-2016, 14:19
Merci Mesrs Dave and Snapper

I shall keep the faith!

Oh.....and shut up about it now :-)

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-03-2016, 17:35
Merci Mesrs Dave and Snapper

I shall keep the faith!

Oh.....and shut up about it now :-)

nothing wrong with making a noise Boo !

BOO
Jul-03-2016, 18:11
well yes and no - Im British. Whining is a speciality. I probably do it too much.

Sometimes its easy to forget there a whole bunch of fellas behind all of this trying hard to make sure everyone has the best experience and for no profit or pay.

Regards

BOO

BOO
Jul-23-2016, 04:06
Hi

Any update or decision on this? I notice the Trolls were back last night and again on Tuesday for a while (when i was last on TS)

Kind Regards

BOO

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jul-23-2016, 08:31
Just to report it: several " Idioten " were online again yesterday evening\night disturbing the Ts users entering channels and putting up their damned music or making obscene sounds...
It's really true that the mother of the idiots it's always pregnant! Mein Gott...Don't you have really nothing better to do in your life than breaking the balls on TeamSpeak on Friday evening? Poor poor nerds, indeed...

:doh:

ATAG_Colander
Jul-23-2016, 09:41
As a general knowledge note:
If you right click on a user, you should see a "make complaint" option.
If a user gets complaints from 5 different users, it will automatically be banned from TS.

In short, 5 people can ban an idiot (is a temporary ban for around 1/2 hour). We could lower this number to say 3, but then 3 idiots would be able to do the same to you :D

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jul-23-2016, 10:19
As a general knowledge note:
If you right click on a user, you should see a "make complaint" option.
If a user gets complaints from 5 different users, it will automatically be banned from TS.

In short, 5 people can ban an idiot (is a temporary ban for around 1/2 hour). We could lower this number to say 3, but then 3 idiots would be able to do the same to you :D

Thanks I didn't know this option! ;)

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-24-2016, 06:22
Thanks I didn't know this option! ;)

Me neither...... Let's hope they don't figure it out as well.... !