PDA

View Full Version : Supermarine Spitfire Mk26b (not a typo)

Dutch
Sep-16-2012, 06:56
I want one of these.

And a pilot's licence to go with it. Anyone want to make a donation to my cause? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Lc2rrDrqI

Here's an article about it. Of course, it had to be an Australian amateur who designed and built it, and it had to be America where it was put into production.

There is a large puddle of drool on my desk as I type this......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9361764/A-new-generation-of-Spitfires-takes-to-the-air.html

ATAG_Colander
Sep-16-2012, 07:37
:stunned:

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-16-2012, 08:08
Wow!!

Everyone dreams of owning & flying a Spitfire, but the reality for all but a very few is insurmountable. Even if a pristine Merlin-equipped Spit was somehow miraculously handed to you, and you had the necessary certifications, insurance, clearances, etc x 10......most of us probably couldn't afford to fill the gas tank! LOL (and what about that persistent oil leak coming from somewhere under the propeller hub? etc x 10 -- again! LOL).

But here, with the simple expediency of remortgaging the house and selling one kidney, the dream is within grasp! :D

What a fun watch and good read, though. Thanks for posting this, Dutch! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-16-2012, 11:01
Never did like those home built replica fighters. They look nice then you put a pilot in them and they start to look like those toy "pedal" Cars. Big ole pilots head in a little bitty airplane. Usually single place: I'd rather have something I can put people in and go places.

oopps I'm messing up this post huh !! No please dont put this in the banana forums !!!!!!

O.K. O.K. ignore the above: Wow !!! thats pretty neat I want one :PP

Dutch
Sep-16-2012, 11:04
Knuckles, it has two seats. :D

Although looking at it, the back seat must be as comfy as being in the back seat of a Porsche 911.

It's 90% full size apparently, and stop trying to put me off. :PP

JG52_Krupi
Sep-16-2012, 11:35
Knuckles, it has two seats. :D

Although looking at it, the back seat must be as comfy as being in the back seat of a Porsche 911.

It's 90% full size apparently, and stop trying to put me off. :PP

I really don't understand these 90% scale ones, okay yes the last 10% does take as long as the 90% but seesh, if your going to go that far why stop at 90%... :P

Dutch
Sep-16-2012, 11:52
I really don't understand these 90% scale ones, okay yes the last 10% does take as long as the 90% but seesh, if your going to go that far why stop at 90%... :P

Ah. You blokes haven't read the article. Owing to some aerodynamic mumbo jumbo voodoo, the additional 10% would require double the horsepower. Simples. :D

JG52_Krupi
Sep-16-2012, 12:39
That sounds like a load of bull to me, unless they are using a lawn mowers engine... :PP

Dutch
Sep-16-2012, 13:45
That sounds like a load of bull to me, unless they are using a lawn mowers engine... :PP

Mmmm. Probably more to do with it having to be under a certain size/weight for some offialdom crap. All it says about the motors is this;

'either a General Motors V8 or a Honda V6' - apparently costs you Ј50,000.

I don't care. I still want one. :PP

In fact, a friend of my wife's uncle owns this which is similar but different I think.

Dutch
Sep-16-2012, 14:15
Just checked on their website, and the V8 is a 6litre job.

Here's the website. And it's just occurred to me that I could ask my wife's uncle to wangle a flight for me.......hmmmm.............:D

http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/index.htm

Here's another view; It seems that this one is an older version at 80% full size

ChiefRedCloud
Sep-16-2012, 16:16
What scale is it? Surely it is not full scale. And while very impressive that arch inside the cockpit looks like it could be uncomfortable after you bounced your head on it a few times .... Still impressive but not like the real thing ... is it?

Dutch
Oct-25-2012, 10:04
It's 90% scale Chief. (He said, resurrecting a really old thread. :D )

On ferreting around this morning I came across this site. A chap is trying to get a full squadron of these things in the air for display and history re-enactment purposes. Shame it's in Oxford. Check out the 'Zero to Hero' link.

Strange thing is, I'd swear I've heard this chap's voice somewhere before............

http://www.enstoneflyingclub.co.uk/cp7.php