PDA

View Full Version : Spawning flak guns.

Hystix
Feb-09-2016, 14:05
I'd like to get various point of view on this issue for the FMB if possible. I'm starting to get into it for Clod.
I'm interested in getting things to work for MP successfully.
I would like to potentially get a Flak gun to spawn into existance when an aircraft approaches from 5km away and despawn when it goes further than that away. It would have to remain spawned as long as there are multiple aircraft within that range but as soon as the count goes to zero, it is allowed to despawn.

Question 1; Does the TpassThrough trigger work for like this in MP? Or is it mainly intended for single player mode and only one aircraft.
Question 2; Does the TpassThrough trigger take up bandwidth of the server, therefore limiting the number of players I can have in a mission the more triggers I have on the map? Other sims (BOS) have two different triggers (examples are zone check vs complex triggers), where the zone check is only really a load on the CPU, and doesnt add additional strain on the bandwidth of the server.

SoW Reddog
Feb-09-2016, 14:58
You will need to spawn a submission containing the flak gun to get it to appear, and then some scripting to remove it. Personally I'd question what the point would be, you can have thousands of objects in your mission file with no detrimental impact so far as we've ascertained. Why have it appear suddenly?

Hystix
Feb-09-2016, 16:31
Reddog, I'm glad you did not have to deal with single core problems. My intention was to avoid overloading the cpu and avoid limiting player numbers, nothing else. If it's pointless to spawn and despawn ground artillery then it's music to my ears. Best news I've had All day.

SoW Reddog
Feb-14-2016, 06:15
Its not necessarily pointless, depending on what you want to do I guess.

For reference, the current Storm of War "The Long War" mission file contains in the region of 4500 objects, 1900 spawnpoints, and at times several hundred craters on airfields. We haven't experienced any problems with it.

Hystix
Feb-16-2016, 13:13
Good grief! Thanks for giving me a stretch goal to work towards! It will probably take a solid 6 months to place that many objects on the map.