PDA

View Full Version : Thanks guys for your help

ATAG_Laser
Mar-12-2016, 14:22
Well, it was about a month ago that I introduced myself in the welcome section of this forum and started to really get into CLoD after installing the patches.
Since then, as I am sure many of you would know, I have vented my frustrations at trying to learn to play the game in full realistic mode well enough to join in with you all fighting on the main server, via many forum posts, for which I would like to offer my apologies!!!
I have struggled, (boy, have I struggled!!!) with the basic skills required, from taking off, landing, controlling my plane without getting into spins, and basic navigation, and one month on I am still struggling, BUT, I have made a lot of progress, thanks to you guys here who have given me some good advice, and I would like to give special thanks to the very patient people who have joined me on the servers during my Wednesday evening training flights. Marlow, The Doctor, Andyj, Monkeynut and Atag's Paranoid, Dave and Lewis, all of you have been a great help. I also have a few hardware problems. I need to get myself a better joystick, and I think that my computer is working at its limit with CLoD, as sometimes the graphics get a bit "jerky", but I am very much enjoying playing the game, and I hope to join the action very soon. See you in the skies :salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-12-2016, 15:40
Glad you are enjoying the game. :thumbsup:

In regards to your graphics problems with framerate and stutters... the best way to address this is to reduce your overall resolution, and reduce the number of trees, buildings, etc.

Recommend you try a series of lower rez screen settings to determine what works best.

Sometimes though, a system will be challenged by CoD and the only way to improve things is to upgrade. :salute:

Well, it was about a month ago that I introduced myself in the welcome section of this forum and started to really get into CLoD after installing the patches.
Since then, as I am sure many of you would know, I have vented my frustrations at trying to learn to play the game in full realistic mode well enough to join in with you all fighting on the main server, via many forum posts, for which I would like to offer my apologies!!!
I have struggled, (boy, have I struggled!!!) with the basic skills required, from taking off, landing, controlling my plane without getting into spins, and basic navigation, and one month on I am still struggling, BUT, I have made a lot of progress, thanks to you guys here who have given me some good advice, and I would like to give special thanks to the very patient people who have joined me on the servers during my Wednesday evening training flights. Marlow, The Doctor, Andyj, Monkeynut and Atag's Paranoid, Dave and Lewis, all of you have been a great help. I also have a few hardware problems. I need to get myself a better joystick, and I think that my computer is working at its limit with CLoD, as sometimes the graphics get a bit "jerky", but I am very much enjoying playing the game, and I hope to join the action very soon. See you in the skies :salute:

ATAG_Laser
Mar-12-2016, 17:10
Glad you are enjoying the game. :thumbsup:

In regards to your graphics problems with framerate and stutters... the best way to address this is to reduce your overall resolution, and reduce the number of trees, buildings, etc.

Recommend you try a series of lower rez screen settings to determine what works best.

Sometimes though, a system will be challenged by CoD and the only way to improve things is to upgrade. :salute:
Hi Buzzsaw. I will try changing my settings and see if that works. Most of the time it is fine, but I sometimes I just get a bit of a stutter there. One of the problems I have had in learning the game though is Navigation, and picking out those landmarks on the ground, especially when looking to find a particular airfield to land at, so I don't want to reduce the detail too much. I suppose it is a case of finding that balance :thumbsup:

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-12-2016, 23:49
You don't need spend lots a money on an expensive joystick to be as competitive as the vets in CLOD or any flight sim for that matter...

I use these....

I highly recommend the old Microsoft Sidewinder II.....either the cheaper spring version....(£7 to £15)

Ebay is the place to get one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-sidewinder-precision-2-joystick-/161999135322?hash=item25b7e6a25a:g:iA4AAOSwr7ZW3Hd C

http://media.engadget.com/img/product/27/l5v/sidewinder-precision-pro-2e9m.jpg

or the more expensive ForceFeedback version.....(£30 to £80)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411SX7TGGZL._SY300_.jpg

DO NOT GET A SIDEWNDER PRECISION PRO OR SIDEWINDER............MUST BE SIDEWINDER 2

Also....Check this thread to see what other folks are using....

Joystick Thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7000)

ATAG_Laser
Mar-31-2016, 01:24
After spending a lot of time offline practicing those landings, and getting used to the handling characteristics of first the Hurricane, and then the Spit, I am now trying to spend a bit more time on the server. I have been taking off and flying around the coast a lot, and listening in to comms, but I am not good with navigation and still haven't found any action as yet. Most of the time I cannot get onto comms properly, too much noise and distractions, but on Wednesday evenings I can usually spend a couple of hours by myself playing CLoD, and can get on comms properly, and would appreciate it if someone flying red could wing up with me and help me to get to where the action is
Regards, Laser :salute:

Gromit
Mar-31-2016, 04:40
Your best option is to climb up to 15k ft and simply trawl up and down the coast from the Isle of white to Ramsgate comparing what you see to the in game map, it does not take long to work out where the main features lie relative to one another, once you have familiarised yourself with the overall shape of the map you will then find locating the airfields to be quite a bit easier.

In game the guys have nicknames for certain easy to locate spots along the coast, "Hells corner" for instance is the curve of land just to the East of Dover harbour and before Deal, "English Point" is the Dungeness point to the West of Littlestone, you soon pick up the names and if someone says "Bandits S of Hawkinge feet wet" you instantly know which direction you need to be looking, bit of patience required that's all.

And jump in on comms and introduce yourself you can usually find a wingman or where the guys are operating, red team have a welcoming bunch on TS and there's always plenty of advice and banter to be had!

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-31-2016, 06:21
Hi laser...

A couple things here....First is....Most of us have flown flight sims before and that helps massively with getting to grips with any new one...Not sure what your history is with flight sims but it will be a lot harder if this is your first or you have less experience with them than many here...Bear that in mind...

The other thing is that CLOD is a learning experience for all of us...I have over 1600 hours on it mostly in Spits and I still feel like I am learning...I think if it didn't feel like that then I may have lost interest a long time ago...And...as I have said before the learning is the fun too...

As for comms...Well...even if you can't talk it is still best to join our teamspeak....You will be learning some of the lingo and getting use to how the action develops from more experienced fliers...and you will be able to join fights that folks call out...You will be able to help those in trouble even though you can't talk to them...No one on comms minds that we have silent fliers on there....That is important for folks to know because we do not want them not joining because they feel they can't talk...

Winging with someone on the server is another skill that will take time to develop....I still lose my wingmen from time to time...My visibility is still not as good as some and that comes down to a few factors including monitor size and situation awareness on my part...I often am checking for threats and then my wingman is not there when I turn back to look for them...So don't feel that you are the only one when that happens to you...Unless you fly with a 52 inch monitor like ATAG_Dave you will struggle....Also it is a good idea to wing with someone in a 'loose formation'...Only the other day I was winging with 2 experienced fliers in a tight formation only yards apart which was very pretty and we were laughing and having fun when we got bounced and one of us got killed immediately...We ran...so 'loose' is the way to go....co-alt with 2 - 300 yrds apart at approximately 90 degrees to each other...That is the best defensive formation.

As a new player I would recommend 2 things....At some point you need to get some good dogfighting experience and so I would get low and dirty with the enemy...You will get tagged but you will learn some important dogfighting skills that you wouldn't normally if you are flying high and playing safe....You need to get into the fight...When I first started flying CLOD I was attacking everything I could to get into the fun....I got spanked all the time but I learned stuff that I still have with me today....You have to accept you'll be spanked but treat it as a learning process...You can't get dogfighting skills without getting into the mix with a tiger or two...

and then now and then get high up...The advantage of getting high is enemy are more likely to be lower....and if there is an enemy above and threatening to fight then you have a BIG safety net of altitude to dive away into...Another thing is that contacts are more visible against the surrounding area if you are high....Even when looking down at a contact they are more visible because the ground is more bleached from high up.....That's about as simple as it gets...

Keep at it laser and you will get better...and remember , if it were easy many of us would probably be playing something else by now...

If I see you we can wing up...;)

Here's a map that will help with geography...Double click on it...Copy and paste it to your desktop..

ATAG_Dave
Mar-31-2016, 07:14
...Unless you fly with a 52 inch monitor like ATAG_Dave you will struggle....

Lew - Ive told you a million times - do not exaggerate :D

Gromit
Mar-31-2016, 07:32
You told me you played in an I-Max cinema! :P

ATAG_Dave
Mar-31-2016, 08:20
You told me you played in an I-Max cinema! :P

its actually two Imaxs side by side so I have it all in 3D but Shush the Occulus guys will be jealous :D

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-31-2016, 08:54
We can't all afford big monitors like Dave...so why not get the next best thing....

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/small%20copy_zpsxuqwkkwd.jpg

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-31-2016, 09:44
We can't all afford big monitors like Dave...so why not get the next best thing....

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/small%20copy_zpsxuqwkkwd.jpg

No wonder you spot "massive bugs (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6436)" on cliffs and manage to see yous miles away.

Btw you look handsome :) The girl behind seems to think the same!

TWC_SLAG
Mar-31-2016, 12:13
I have benefited from reading two books: Fighter Combat (available at Amazon) and In Pursuit, which is free. Just Google "In Pursuit PDF" and download.

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Apr-01-2016, 11:23
If you need help in having a Bf 109 or Bf 110 on your tail just ask! ;) :) :) :)

ATAG_Laser
Apr-01-2016, 16:30
its actually two Imaxs side by side so I have it all in 3D but Shush the Occulus guys will be jealous :D
And there is me playing on a laptop. No wonder I am strugglin!!!:doh:

ATAG_Laser
Apr-01-2016, 16:33
If you need help in having a Bf 109 or Bf 110 on your tail just ask! ;) :) :) :)
Yeah, bring it on mate, could do with the practice:thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Apr-01-2016, 17:11
Can the spit fly in reverse now? :)

ATAG_Laser
Apr-07-2016, 01:27
Ok guys, well, it seems that I have started to get a bit ahead of myself with all this talk of getting into combat. Spent a couple of hours on the server last night and for some reason I was crashing on take off again, in both the Spit and Hurricane, and I haven't a clue why. Apologies to Dix, with whom I was meant to be flying. He was very patient, but in the end I had to give up. :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

SARR
Apr-07-2016, 03:06
Ok guys, well, it seems that I have started to get a bit ahead of myself with all this talk of getting into combat. Spent a couple of hours on the server last night and for some reason I was crashing on take off again, in both the Spit and Hurricane, and I haven't a clue why. Apologies to Dix, with whom I was meant to be flying. He was very patient, but in the end I had to give up. :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Maybe you just pulled the stick too hard during take off. I´ve had these problems with the Spit too. But that plane takes of quite easily if you do not push her to hard.....otherwise she will roll and crash....just pull up the stick very gently and it should work. And keep an eye on the speed, if you are not sure about that.....The Hurricane is much less sensible.........I am a beginner too, but if you like we could fly together. I just do not know, when I have time to fly again, mayby tomorrow evening....If you like, you could have my E-Mail or send me a PM here.....

Greez Sarr / Roman :salute:

dix
Apr-09-2016, 13:05
Oh mate don't you even think twice about that, I enjoy helping people, and used the time to sort out some trouble i was having in some landings, a good sortie it's not just about getting a new cross painted on your spitfire =D (aka getting airkills)
Especially because I mostly play bait to those yellow noses :P

Also having a second pair of eyes I hope helped you sorting out what the problem was, which from my plane looked like a too hard pull at wheels up.
I found this example from no.54 philstyle at 2:34 https://youtu.be/mq7FYfRBtB0?t=141 that shows you how gently he pulls up the nose of the plane to take off, you can barely see the difference at the beginning but he did just enough to pull the wheels up and from there he started gathering more speed to climb up
GL and don't lose hope, we've all been there :salute:

ATAG_Colander
Apr-09-2016, 13:28
For takeoff trim the tail a bit heavy, make sure you take off against the wind and don't pull before time of wait too long as rolling too fast might make you nose over.

ATAG_Laser
Apr-09-2016, 15:35
Oh mate don't you even think twice about that, I enjoy helping people, and used the time to sort out some trouble i was having in some landings, a good sortie it's not just about getting a new cross painted on your spitfire =D (aka getting airkills)
Especially because I mostly play bait to those yellow noses :P

Also having a second pair of eyes I hope helped you sorting out what the problem was, which from my plane looked like a too hard pull at wheels up.
I found this example from no.54 philstyle at 2:34 https://youtu.be/mq7FYfRBtB0?t=141 that shows you how gently he pulls up the nose of the plane to take off, you can barely see the difference at the beginning but he did just enough to pull the wheels up and from there he started gathering more speed to climb up
GL and don't lose hope, we've all been there :salute:
Thanks once again for your patience. Yes, I seem to have been pulling up a bit too steep maybe, but I don't know why I was doing it. I have been having trouble with landing, but taking off has been fine. I will be practicing on my own for a while until I get better, don't want a repeat of Wednesday night, that was embarrassing!!!:doh: