PDA

View Full Version : Who at MG actually FLIES this sim?

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-29-2012, 11:14
I posted this over at 1C:

One thing that puzzles me is, do the devs actually FLY their own sim? I'm dead serious on this, and not being facetious whatsoever. My reasoning?

1) First thing I did after installing the new beta patch was to run some quick (VERY quick) tests on the Spitfire 2a and 1a 100 octane. Went into Quick Mission, selected Cross Country Flight.....and took off and climbed. Easy peasy. In this case I noted it took 20% throttle to start both aircraft. Take off roll at 9 lbs/6.25 lbs (full throttle resp), 3000 rpms, 100% rad (full open). On wheels up I held to level flight, coarsening pitch to 2850 rpms and closing rad to 50%. Watching oil & glycol temps, increased climb to maintain 185 mph IAS. All fine temps-wise, maintaining this combat climbout. At 18K feet (2a)/22K feet (1a 100 octane) the engine began sputtering, losing power, with rpms jumping wildly between 2400 and 3000. No damage reported in Damage Window; temps OK (ie oil < 95, glycol < 110 for both aircraft). The only way to smooth the engine vibrations and get partial climbing power back was to go Fine Pitch -- 300O rpms, but temps climbed with rad fully opened. Aborted climb, engine resumed normal operation below 16K feet with no apparent damage.

Each test here took about 10 minutes, but clearly no dev has done this, otherwise why wasn't it fixed OR reported in the readme? Sloppy.

2) I didn't do any tests on the Hurricanes. But how long would it take a dev to jump in the cockpit and discover the wretched thing wouldn't start? (Especially when the same problem had occurred in beta 1.07 and fixed in beta 1.08 ). Again, sloppy.

I'm baffled by the testing protocols, or rather, the lack thereof. If such ridiculously simple performance issues such as these are missed, how on earth are more complex issues dealt with?

ATAG_JTDawg
Sep-29-2012, 11:25

One thing that puzzles me is, do the devs actually FLY their own sim? I'm dead serious on this, and not being facetious whatsoever. My reasoning?

1) First thing I did after installing the new beta patch was to run some quick (VERY quick) tests on the Spitfire 2a and 1a 100 octane. Went into Quick Mission, selected Cross Country Flight.....and took off and climbed. Easy peasy. In this case I noted it took 20% throttle to start both aircraft. Take off roll at 9 lbs/6.25 lbs (full throttle resp), 3000 rpms, 100% rad (full open). On wheels up I held to level flight, coarsening pitch to 2850 rpms and closing rad to 50%. Watching oil & glycol temps, increased climb to maintain 185 mph IAS. All fine temps-wise, maintaining this combat climbout. At 18K feet (2a)/22K feet (1a 100 octane) the engine began sputtering, losing power, with rpms jumping wildly between 2400 and 3000. No damage reported in Damage Window; temps OK (ie oil < 95, glycol < 110 for both aircraft). The only way to smooth the engine vibrations and get partial climbing power back was to go Fine Pitch -- 300O rpms, but temps climbed with rad fully opened. Aborted climb, engine resumed normal operation below 16K feet with no apparent damage.

Each test here took about 10 minutes, but clearly no dev has done this, otherwise why wasn't it fixed OR reported in the readme? Sloppy.

2) I didn't do any tests on the Hurricanes. But how long would it take a dev to jump in the cockpit and discover the wretched thing wouldn't start? (Especially when the same problem had occurred in beta 1.07 and fixed in beta 1.08 ). Again, sloppy.

I'm baffled by the testing protocols, or rather, the lack thereof. If such ridiculously simple performance issues such as these are missed, how on earth are more complex issues dealt with?

+1 But think you were way to nice after this long . but once again look at the pretty tracers . They have two hands 1 behind thier back (the broke game ) the other one showing us a su 26 that is so awesome we could not believe it , so we could see how great thier work is an based upon . From what i'm reading it's broke to lmao

Dutch
Sep-29-2012, 13:23
Uh-oh. Same old story. i.e;

Stage 1 - Initial Euphoria;

'Yaheey!! The Overheating issue has gone!!! Look I'm shooting down loads of 109s!!!

Stage 2 - WTF?!;

Hang on, how come this Spit II will only go up to 12,000ft, beyond which you have to increase rpm to the extent that you start to overheat? And how come this same thing happens in the Ia 100oct, but up at 18,000ft? How come I can't get higher than 22k in my favourite Ia 100oct? I'd swear I got the old Spit II up to 29k. How come the RAF a/c are suddenly so difficult to start? Then when I do start I can't get up to the Bombers without my engine complaining? Uh-Oh................

Stage 3 - Conspiracy theory;

At least we've got a laser equipped sci-fi aerobatic job, just to show us that this is a game. What did you expect??? The Battle of Britain????

Stage 4 - Resignation;

I give up. I can't be bothered testing, reporting, complaining, or posting helpful hints on forums anymore. Someone else can have a go. Meanwhile, my new challenge is flying and surviving in a Hurricane. If I can get it off the ground that is.

Ohms
Sep-29-2012, 16:22
That is a good question which they will answer by the end of the day, oh wait they have said that before!!:grrr:
Instead of prying open the coffin lid and saving the game they have put the final nail instead.:ind:
I have had fun in the past that is true but the last two patches have been awful on the FM front and have killed the game for those who fly Red which has also effected the Blue's.The first patch with the CTD'S WAS BETTER THAN THIS MESS,imo.

Ohmie:doh:

Catseye
Sep-29-2012, 19:12

Snapper,
Good post.
Finally someone who agrees with my position over on the banana forums under my heading, HURRICANE NOT STARTING AGAIN???.
Please post this over there for me. It would add weight to the argument.
Well done.
Cheers

Doc
Sep-29-2012, 19:41
Snapper,
Good post.
Finally someone who agrees with my position over on the banana forums under my heading, HURRICANE NOT STARTING AGAIN???.
Well done.
Cheers

I spent the entire day on red only and will again when I get back from dinner. There are several RAF A/C that are hosed again. You can't start them. Same issue as before. I can't believe they let a patch out again that repeats the same issue. :pcsux:

ATAG_Colander
Sep-29-2012, 20:01
I'm investigating to see if I can find a way to spawn them warmed up. I don't promise anything though (not even in two weeks).

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-29-2012, 20:11
You da man, Colander....even if nothing works as hoped. I think the Hurricanes have an airstart out of Eastchurch (?), but many prefer a real take off, which I can understand. Fingers crossed you find something.

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-29-2012, 20:15
Snapper,
Good post.
Well done.
Cheers

Thanks, Cats. Actually, I originally posted this over at 1C, but in a different thread. I can't get on the 1C Forum right now, my Internet is acting weird tonight (too many neighourhood kids on the same Internet system as mine, I suspect), but when I do I'll make comment in your thread and link back to my 1C post as well.

Unbelievable, is all I can say. :doh:

ATAG_Torian
Sep-30-2012, 04:24
Add the MkI to the won't start list. As for the Ia_100oct and the IIa try bringing the throttle back to 50% and dropping rpm down to 2200-2400. Worked for me anyway the higher I climbed. Speed wasn't stellar...about 170mph but overheat wasn't a prob.

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-30-2012, 07:09
Re 1a_100 octane & 2a: good tip; will try it today. Thx!

ATAG_Deacon
Oct-01-2012, 10:19
To your point with the thread title, I would say no-one. How could they leave anyone using SLI/Crossfire in the lurch as they've done?

Unless someone knows of a work around I will be patiently waiting some sort of patch/mini-update to fix this issue.

Ohms
Oct-01-2012, 11:07
Hi Guys
I would like to take back my first comments about this being the final nail in the coffin lid. I am still not happy about the fact that they didn't test the Hurri and some Spits to see if they would start but with that being said what we have now with the planes we do have is a fighting chance which is all we can ask for.Had fun with all the boys on last night which really is the point, having fun.
I will stay on my meds(Innes & Gunn) and stay calm and have fun.

Salute Ohmie

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-01-2012, 11:34
Hi Guys
I would like to take back my first comments about this being the final nail in the coffin lid. I am still not happy about the fact that they didn't test the Hurri and some Spits to see if they would start but with that being said what we have now with the planes we do have is a fighting chance which is all we can ask for.Had fun with all the boys on last night which really is the point, having fun.
I will stay on my meds(Innes & Gunn) and stay calm and have fun.

Salute Ohmie

OHMIE OHMIE OHMIE + 1 Atleast some good DFing again , Also why are blue pilots bailing now , is there something im missing?

JG52_Krupi
Oct-01-2012, 12:04
We are worried that ATAG_Dutch is flying around... Sorry, i meant ramming not flying :grrr:

:PP

Dutch
Oct-01-2012, 12:07
We are worried that ATAG_Dutch is flying around... Sorry, i meant ramming not flying :grrr:

:PP

Guilty. :( But at least I'm not shooting my own side, like you and your mate Snapper...... :)

JG52_Krupi
Oct-01-2012, 12:54
Hey that's not exactly fair I was shooting a 109 on the blenhiems tail... While Snapper was having a day dream about flying for the better side :PP

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-01-2012, 16:34
Eh? Whazzat? :recon:

:)

Catseye
Oct-01-2012, 16:47
Thanks, Cats. Actually, I originally posted this over at 1C, but in a different thread. I can't get on the 1C Forum right now, my Internet is acting weird tonight (too many neighourhood kids on the same Internet system as mine, I suspect), but when I do I'll make comment in your thread and link back to my 1C post as well.

Unbelievable, is all I can say. :doh:

Thanks Snapper,
I saw your post in the different thread. Seems my thread has basically run its course and now dwindled down into the usual "you're an idiot, am not, am too, am not" type of thread with one of the usual morons.

@ Colander,
Thanks muchly for taking a look.
Sure would be interesting for runway warmed-up starts to happen in the maps until the sequel.

Cheers Guys,