PDA

View Full Version : Hey what's up with the "air abandons"?

Vadr
Apr-01-2016, 15:33
<minor rant>

Can anyone tell me the rules for what constitutes an "air abandon"?

Of course I get one when I bail-out, as I'd expect to, but I also seem to get them after landing an aircraft on an airfield. Even an active (white) airfield for my side. Damage or lack thereof doesn't seem to matter.

Is there some way I can cut down on these, other than landing at the same airfield I took off from?

<S>

ATAG_Ezzie
Apr-01-2016, 18:26
Good question Vadr.

Here's what I have observed - not sure it fully answers your question though.

Air abandon happen when

Spawn in then spawn out without taking off
Bail out
Leave the aircraft mid flight (escape key server crash game crash) or before the server boots you out at the end of a mission
Pilot kill ( also counts in deaths count as well)
Some crash landings - can't figure out why some register and some don't

Re landings

If I get the Ezzie landed message then it counts as a landing even if I do it wheels up on the airfield. I seem to get this message even when landing on non active airfields

Sometimes I don't get this message even after a proper landing etc.

That's what I can recall seeing/ figuring out. Gotta go battery at 2%

Ezzie

ATAG_Marlow
Apr-18-2016, 18:16
Hi Vadr...just wanted to say....as far as I know I have only ever had 'Bail Out's after abandoning the aircraft by parachute. (so far it has always opened!) However, why should that be the case for me but not you I don't know. Of course, I do lose track of my own Stats now and again so could easily be mistaken. (Mental note: must pay more attention!)

I also wanted to say what a fantastic picture at the bottom of your post! Awesome!
That is the sight that scares the hell out of me far too often...when I take a casual glance behind and see this beautiful....deadly.....shark-like machine careering towards me! The 109 was truly a menacing but supremely charismatic aircraft. Great find! :stunned:
:thumbsup:

Vadr
Apr-18-2016, 18:35
Thanks Marlow. The pic was taken by a friend of mine (=bbgn= from the old Warbirds sim) at an airshow in the Pac Northwest.

<S>

ATAG_Laser
Apr-19-2016, 14:40
I too am wondering how the stats work. I don't seem to be listed, but as there is a "Laserman" listed, whose stats look familiar , I am guessing that this is a misprint and "laserman" is indeed yours truly. If this is the case, then my first successful landing on Sunday has not been listed, but I didn't land at the airfield that I spawned at.
Another thing that I was wondering, is how does the server / this forum determine your status as a pilot? I have just gone from "novice"to "combat pilot". Is it determined by missions? ,minutes on the server?. I certainly haven't been promoted on number of kills, which is still zero!!! I wonder how many combat pilots still crash as often as I do :doh:

farley
Apr-19-2016, 15:06
Hey laserlight.

I had the same problem the other day, and was kindly informed that my name was not missing in the stats, but the names that are not capitalized are shown at the end of the names.

I checked and your name is there at the bottom of page 5. It shows you as having 4 landings.... doesn't say how successful they were, but what's the old saying about any landing you can walk away from being a good one! :)

ATAG_Laser
Apr-19-2016, 16:03
Hey laserlight.

I had the same problem the other day, and was kindly informed that my name was not missing in the stats, but the names that are not capitalized are shown at the end of the names.

I checked and your name is there at the bottom of page 5. It shows you as having 4 landings.... doesn't say how successful they were, but what's the old saying about any landing you can walk away from being a good one! :)
Oh right, thanks. So someone here has a similar username to me. I have definitely only landed without crashing my plane just the once, so the stats flatter me somewhat. Hopefully it won't be too long before I am adding some kills to my stats :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-20-2016, 07:37
I have definitely only landed without crashing my plane just the once, so the stats flatter me somewhat.

I'm new around here too... seem to be ok with landings... mostly !! Though last night was a bit embarasing after saying as much and then knocking my wing off at about 20mph AFTER touching down and braking. Gave it a touch of rudder on the brakes... which as you know (and I momentarily forgot.. again... ) in the spit only activates one side of the brake system. I tipped it onto the wing. Snap. Early days... plenty to learn !

Still went up in the info window as a safe landing mind so I assume in the stats as well.

as far as I can tell a landing is recorded even when you smash the wheels off.... as long as to dont go pop (I may be wrong... anyone??)

no idea if landings at strips other than the one you took off from count.... or if they are ground abandons... I asume they count as landings?

I must say its a bit confusing to me as well.

Any veterans want to chime in and set me straight?

JG27-Gaidin
Apr-20-2016, 10:06
I too am wondering how the stats work. I don't seem to be listed, but as there is a "Laserman" listed, whose stats look familiar , I am guessing that this is a misprint and "laserman" is indeed yours truly. If this is the case, then my first successful landing on Sunday has not been listed, but I didn't land at the airfield that I spawned at.
Another thing that I was wondering, is how does the server / this forum determine your status as a pilot? I have just gone from "novice"to "combat pilot". Is it determined by missions? ,minutes on the server?. I certainly haven't been promoted on number of kills, which is still zero!!! I wonder how many combat pilots still crash as often as I do :doh:

Salute and Howdy Laserlight,

The "promotion" to "Combat Pilot" has to do with the number of posts you contribute to on the forum. The more post, the higher on the food chain you rise.

Gaidin

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-20-2016, 13:48
Salute and Howdy Laserlight,

The "promotion" to "Combat Pilot" has to do with the number of posts you contribute to on the forum. The more post, the higher on the food chain you rise.

Gaidin

really?

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-20-2016, 13:48
is

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-20-2016, 13:49
that

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-20-2016, 13:49
right?

Vadr
Apr-20-2016, 13:59
Well, you've apparently already donated to ATAG. That makes you a "supporting member". Can't get much higher than that. ;)

ATAG_Flare
Apr-20-2016, 17:12
Well, I'm blue!

TF Members have purple. PanTast even has pink!

ATAG_Ezzie
Apr-23-2016, 18:54
Another data point to add to air abandon knowledge

Just got shot up over England on sea lion and managed to do a single engined landing at Wilmington. One of the undercarriage legs collapsed on landing but got the following messages after I ground looped.

(A) Ezzie landed safely
(B) Ezzie was captured.

I checked stats a few minutes later and I was 'awarded' one landing and one air abandon. Interesting....

Not sure if the person who shot me up got a kill though. I got a kill on his Spit1a 100 Oct but I think this was after he successfully landed it and it hasn't shown up in the atag forum stats (I'm not expecting it to). But if he got my kill on the atag forum stats that would also be interesting re trying to work out how this works.

Ezzie

ATAG_Dave
Apr-23-2016, 19:40
Another data point to add to air abandon knowledge

Just got shot up over England on sea lion and managed to do a single engined landing at Wilmington. One of the undercarriage legs collapsed on landing but got the following messages after I ground looped.

(A) Ezzie landed safely
(B) Ezzie was captured.

I checked stats a few minutes later and I was 'awarded' one landing and one air abandon. Interesting....

Not sure if the person who shot me up got a kill though. I got a kill on his Spit1a 100 Oct but I think this was after he successfully landed it and it hasn't shown up in the atag forum stats (I'm not expecting it to). But if he got my kill on the atag forum stats that would also be interesting re trying to work out how this works.

Ezzie

That was me Ezzie in the spit. Yes I landed safely at Rochester after your tail gunner pinked me. Oddly in net stats it awarded me precisely 0.00 even after your landing and exiting the server. I was amazed you flew on for so long after reading the damage report after I landed. I'm afraid I cant tell for sure whether I got you as a kill in stats on the atag forum as I got other kills also but I'm 99% certain it has awarded me your kill in this case.

Hope that helps

S!

ATAG_Ezzie
Apr-23-2016, 21:13
That was me Ezzie in the spit. Yes I landed safely at Rochester after your tail gunner pinked me. Oddly in net stats it awarded me precisely 0.00 even after your landing and exiting the server. I was amazed you flew on for so long after reading the damage report after I landed. I'm afraid I cant tell for sure whether I got you as a kill in stats on the atag forum as I got other kills also but I'm 99% certain it has awarded me your kill in this case.

Hope that helps

S!

Thanks Dave - useful to close the loop so to speak.

Yeah you gave me a good whacking. I've been practicing doing my own rear gunnery so lucky for me I got a lucky hit on your pilot otherwise I wouldn't have survived much longer. I contemplated flying home on one engine and have done it quite a few times in the past. But you'd done a lot of damage and I couldn't get a zero/positive rate of climb even after firing off all my ammo. So I decided to land at the pro-German town of Wilhelm-ington and see what the stats did re a successful landing on a red airfield.

Seems you got the kill eventually due to me being captured which also gave me an air abandon even though I landed successfully. Makes sense I guess.

S

Ezzie

ATAG_Ezzie
Apr-29-2016, 21:05
Dave and I had another repeat of our encounter from last week. This time I crash landed in England rather than landed on an airfield. I didn't get any crash landed message ( despite getting my 110 down in 1 piece more or less) or captured message as far as I could tell (I waited a few minutes in my crashed a/c to see if there were any messages) though but was awarded an air abandon in the stats later on. Hopefully Dave got a kill awarded to him.

Ezzie

ATAG_Ezzie
Nov-01-2016, 02:54
Another observation to add to our knowledge re air abandons (not that's it's important in the big scheme of things)

In a multi-crew aircraft if you have been in your gunners seat (and presumably other crew stations) and the map ends while u are still airborne you will be credited with 1 x air Abandon even if you keep flying the aircraft until the game boots u out of the server.

No big deal - just an observation to aid anyone trying to decipher how air abandon 'works'

Ezzie