PDA

View Full Version : Symmetric bullet drop in COD

Baaz
Apr-11-2016, 23:33
The issue is that when in a near vertical dive, the bullet drop effect is the same as it is in a level flight. What my sense of physics tells me is that it's not just right.

Below is a rough sketch of the bullet trajectory when you fire in a near vertical dive in COD.

:crazyeyes:

What are your thoughts about this phenomenon? Wind etc do effect the trajectory but gravity is a more dominant force. It's like throwing a cricket ball in the field and dropping it from a roof top is almost the same.

ATAG_Lolsav
Apr-12-2016, 05:32
What guns? In what plane?

Baaz
Apr-12-2016, 08:00
What guns? In what plane?

Hurricane 1(ROTOL). I attacked condors in a near vertical dive and observed the bullet path.

Gromit
Apr-12-2016, 08:40
More likely you are not actually vertical, it's extremely difficult to dive vertically as the aircraft wants to go nose up as you dive and your chasing the trim as the speed increases rapidly, any nose up attitude , even a couple of degrees will see the tracer drop away as you scribe a gentle arc away from them.

On top of this your target is moving forward so you will be chasing the aim up and away from your dive!

The only way you could try to shoot vertically is to position yourself high in front of the target, trim the aircraft and hold it in a vertical dive and let the target fly through your fire, but the acceleration in the dive would leave your ability to trim behind so I doubt it's actually doable in reality.

Baffin
Apr-12-2016, 09:41
Try shooting while in a vertical climb... it's easier to estimate the pitch and you have more time. :shoot:

CLoD's ballistics seem accurate to me.

Torc
Apr-12-2016, 19:18
The issue is that when in a near vertical dive, the bullet drop effect is the same as it is in a level flight. What my sense of physics tells me is that it's not just right.

Below is a rough sketch of the bullet trajectory when you fire in a near vertical dive in COD.

:crazyeyes:

What are your thoughts about this phenomenon? Wind etc do effect the trajectory but gravity is a more dominant force. It's like throwing a cricket ball in the field and dropping it from a roof top is almost the same.

Remember also that your wings produce lift perpendicular to the chord line of the wing - this will impart a horizonal force when the aircraft is pointing straight down. It may cause an illusion of bullet drop as the bullets do not have the same force acting on them, they go straight down while you are travelling along somewhat.