PDA

View Full Version : hoping to fly again

Old_Canuck
Oct-04-2012, 14:55
It might be the beer and the Advils but today it feels like I can finally get back on the computer for extended periods. Have had chronic lower back pain for over 5 months. Sometimes the cramps would send me to the floor doubled up (embarrassing to happen while shopping). Aside from the usual remedies - ice packs / heat / exercise, I just picked up an Obus Forme lumbar support cushion and it feels instantly better. Will check again after the beer and Advil wears off.

Also hoping for the final patch and looking forward to learning the ins and outs of the Wellys and/or Ju 88s.

ATAG_Colander
Oct-04-2012, 15:21
That sucks!
Hope you feel better soon (or drink enough beers ;) )

Dutch
Oct-04-2012, 16:06
I know the feeling well. After a ruptured disc and 6 weeks lying on my back two years ago, I still ain't fully recovered. Any more than a couple of hours on a flight sim and I'm hitting the heavy pain pills bigstyle.

No fun at all. Take it in small doses mate. It's easy to get so engrossed in the game, you spend more time at it than you should and agony follows.

:grandpa

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-04-2012, 17:54
Dang, O.C., that doesn't sound like any fun at all. As Dutch says, don't overdo it -- set a timer since it's so easy to lose track of time until the stabbing pain intervenes. Hope that Obus cushion works well for you. Can you get medical coverage if your doctor prescribes petite oriental female, uh, "massage therapists" to trod upon you......therapeutically, of course?

Old_Canuck
Oct-05-2012, 00:24
The wife offered a trod-massage. She was 118 pounds when we met but now .... forget it. The timer idea sounds workable -- pain pills and beer make me think I'm a better pilot.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-05-2012, 01:32
OC - that sux m8. Just take it nice and slow. Hope to see you online soon, but not if you're going to be in pain. Maybe go straight to the bourbon and pain pills. I've heard it numbs one up pretty good. :getaway:

Old_Canuck
Oct-12-2012, 19:36
Thanks for the kind sentiments guys. I might be on the side lines longer than anticipated. Xrays today looking to confirm osteoarthritis of the hip joint. Have to limit seated time at the computer now so I'm thinking of designing a full body sling similar to that used by hang gliders but it's a bugger trying to figure out how to work the rudder pedals. :goofy

Dutch
Oct-12-2012, 20:02
Thanks for the kind sentiments guys. I might be on the side lines longer than anticipated. Xrays today looking to confirm osteoarthritis of the hip joint. Have to limit seated time at the computer now so I'm thinking of designing a full body sling similar to that used by hang gliders but it's a bugger trying to figure out how to work the rudder pedals. :goofy

At the risk of abuse mate, could you go back to using a twist rudder? Iknow, Iknow, but it could be an easier solution.....

Really sorry to hear your news though. It's bad enough having sciatica and an ear infection. You have my sympathy. In spades. :thumbsup: :salute:

ATAG_Colander
Oct-12-2012, 20:31
This is what you need!

http://img.ffcrafts.com/img/trade/2009/12/27/1261917677453712.jpg
http://www.alanharpdesign.com/_/rsrc/1323527992031/furniture-gallery/seating/supine-workstation/supine-back-copy.jpg

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-12-2012, 20:56

Very sorry to hear this OC. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. :(

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-12-2012, 22:04
Very sorry to learn of this, OC. Please stay close to this forum and keep us posted how things are. Hopefully you can find a way to work in a little stick time without unduly stressing your hips. As Dutch said, if a twist-stick rudder keeps you in the air, it may be worth a look.

All the best,

Snapper :salute:

335th_GRAthos
Oct-13-2012, 04:57
I might be on the side lines longer than anticipated. Xrays today looking to confirm osteoarthritis of the hip joint. Have to limit seated time at the computer now so I'm thinking of designing a full body sling similar to that used by hang gliders but it's a bugger trying to figure out how to work the rudder pedals.

Aoutsch!

Time for Microsoft SW2 FFB! :joystick:

~S~

Old_Canuck
Oct-13-2012, 21:55
Colander that looks like a good solution and twist joystick is certainly on the radar. Here's a bit of irony for you - a couple of years ago I sent a perfectly good MS FFB stick to a friend in Denmark just before he gave up on flight sims. He flies a 737 for a Norwegian airline. Might ask him to send that joystick back across the pond now.

ATAG_Colander
Oct-13-2012, 22:45
I thought of those chairs as my wife got an herniated disk and she said that those chairs where amazing when she tried them (sadly, the cost is also amazing).

Old_Canuck
Oct-14-2012, 12:54
Sincere sympathies for your wife. I hope she's healing up ok.

Here's a recliner that would probably work just as good but less $$$:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-line-LAFUMA-recliner-BRICK-RED-therapeutic-LUXURY-PICKUP-ONLY-/280994708874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c96fd8a

ATAG_Colander
Oct-14-2012, 14:17
Thanks but we bought one already. She had to try 10's of chairs as, like clothes, some fit some don't. When she finally found one she felt comfortable in, we pulled the trigger (without much consideration on the $$$).

Tonester
Oct-15-2012, 19:35
I sympathise mate....ive got a 'blue collar worker' back as well....
Its funny, i remember as a kid watching my bricklayer step father go through lots of pain with his back...and when you are a kid you just cant even begin to imagine what a bad back feels like...and then you get there...oh dear god, they can torture you in so many ways.....

for instance, i had a fall from a ladder last year that caused two wedge fractured vertebrae...(among other things)..now the relayed pain from the injuries, whichim told will only get worse over time, not better, has settled in my right side ribs, leaving me feeling as if i have cracked ribs chronicly...so i cant sleep on the right side of my body anymore...which i have done for forty odd years...

Cant sleep on my left side due to other issues, so my days end staring at the ceiling, and praying for sleep....damn hard to fall asleep on your back...

My best wishes go out to you brother as i am more than well aware how ones back can effect every
other part of the body...take care...mercifully for me im never in the cockpit long enough to make sitting down too long an issue..the blue boys, god bless em, take care of that...damn olbliging of them, dont you think?

Dutch
Oct-15-2012, 20:11
mercifully for me im never in the cockpit long enough to make sitting down too long an issue..the blue boys, god bless em, take care of that...damn olbliging of them, dont you think?

Take 'em down boys....just....take 'em down. :D

They don't like it up 'em, Captain Mainwaring, they don't like it up 'em!! :salute:

There are some days, when I think, 'I must stop posting on forums'.

This isn't one of them! Hahahaaaaa!!!! :)