PDA

View Full Version : The new patch 1.09 spitfire

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-04-2012, 20:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytd_OgUVrxg&feature=plcp

Patch 1.09 came out for Cliffs of Dover and it fixed a lot of the spitfire flight model issues, at least at lower altitudes. This made them perform a lot better and made fights between them and bf-109's a lot closer of a match.

This was one fight I got into on the night the patch was released. There were a lot of people online so sometimes planes do warp around a bit but I thought I would post this to show the spits new performance. I came up behind a BF-109 and BF-110 and within four minutes splashed them both. The 110's gunner was killed in my first pass, and the 110's pilot was killed on the last pass while the 109's pilot survived until he hit the water. Just a note that the reason they went down so fast is that they decided to turn fight against a spitfire. If they had played the vertical game it still could have ended very differently as a 109 still can slightly out climb a spit.

I have lowered my resolution in game to make it so that I can see target dots from a lot further away, but unfortunately as this was recorded live and not from a track I was not able to increase the resolution again, resulting in a loss of some of the nicer video effects, but a much smaller file size!

To anyone who has not flown in Cliffs of Dover for a while I urge you to try it again with 1.09. The online dogfights are a lot more fun again.

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-04-2012, 20:28
Whew! That's some pretty dramatic footage, Headshot! Thanks for posting this!

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-04-2012, 20:28
That was a great video! :thumbsup: Loved the music choice as well.

If you're game looks like that in low res, I'd hate to think what it looks like all turned up :D

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-04-2012, 20:44
I really wish I could keep bringing myself to play it full res just for movie making. My normal for most games is 1920x1200 (which my other videos are done in) but I find it's almost impossible to see dots at any kind of distance which makes me feel like I'm flying in an empty sky... until my screen goes black. I've put my res down to 1280x800 for now and done a few tweeks in my nvidia console to make it still look half decent, but I can see target dots from a long long ways away now (several km easy), and it's really helping to improve the gameplay. If anyone is interested I can post the details for resolution and nvidia stuff. Also for this video I had to crop out the top portion of the screen to bring my 16:10 resolution to a 16:9 resolution. This did get rid of the chat bar though, however it also means sometimes you couldn't see the other plane at the top of the screen while as I actually flew it the 109 was in sight pretty much the whole time.

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-04-2012, 20:56
cool vid m8

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Oct-05-2012, 05:29
Hey Headshot,

u gave me a walk through on the lower res and nividia panel settings last weekend. Thanks for you time

Its made my online experience far less frustrating....finally!

Kiwi

Doc
Oct-05-2012, 06:07
Thanks for sharing this wonderful video bro! :thumbsup:

Dutch
Oct-05-2012, 09:34
Excellent footage, Headshot mate!

The number of times I've seen something similar since the new patch is a huge one.

Now if they could just get the Hurricanes turning better than the Spits, instead of worse, and sort out the altitude thing with the 100oct and the II, we'd be sorted. In other words, it's not perfect, yet, but this is definately more like it.

I've been having some great times this week, not least a long protracted cat and mouse chase with IvanK last night, which started at 20k ft + and ended skimming the waves off the North Foreland. Neither of us were gaining much advantage, and the fight ended when I landed having burst an oil seal or some such. But that was my fault, pilot error. The way the 'planes are matched is spot on, but for the altitude thing. That fight lasted about 30 to 40mins. Fantastic.

The other change is that I've been getting killed a lot more, but this is because I now go looking for trouble with 109s, rather than concentrating on bomber kills, which is how it should be in Spits. Leave the Bombers to the Hurri boys.

'Come on baby, let the good times roll'! :dthumb:

Catseye
Oct-05-2012, 11:14
I really wish I could keep bringing myself to play it full res just for movie making. My normal for most games is 1920x1200 (which my other videos are done in) but I find it's almost impossible to see dots at any kind of distance which makes me feel like I'm flying in an empty sky... until my screen goes black. I've put my res down to 1280x800 for now and done a few tweeks in my nvidia console to make it still look half decent, but I can see target dots from a long long ways away now (several km easy), and it's really helping to improve the gameplay. If anyone is interested I can post the details for resolution and nvidia stuff. Also for this video I had to crop out the top portion of the screen to bring my 16:10 resolution to a 16:9 resolution. This did get rid of the chat bar though, however it also means sometimes you couldn't see the other plane at the top of the screen while as I actually flew it the 109 was in sight pretty much the whole time.

Pretty much the same as I use.
I would be interested in seeing your Nvidia console settings for comparison to mine.

Good vid.

ps. What are your convergence settings and loadout on this vid.?

Ohms
Oct-05-2012, 12:21
That was GREAT, the music was a great choice,who is it by?

:thumbsup:

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-05-2012, 12:44
Really injoyed the video and I've reposted it in our New Wings forums .... HERE (http://newwingstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1165&sid=d7d8c459fcb3a505d6d186d7e5d95df0)

w1nd6urfa
Oct-05-2012, 13:43
Good kills Headshot!

Good tutorial on how NOT to fly a 109 :geek:

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-05-2012, 20:15
Pretty much the same as I use.
I would be interested in seeing your Nvidia console settings for comparison to mine.

Good vid.

ps. What are your convergence settings and loadout on this vid.?

I will post screenshots of my Nvidia console after if you like, just have to take the screens and I'm itching to get in the server at the moment.

My convergence is set to 150 vertical and 150 horizontal. Loadout: gun 1=incendiary white tracer, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde. gun 2= 2 de Wilde, 2 AP. gun 3= 2 AP, 2 de Wilde. gun 4= 800m red tracer, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP. gun 5= 800m red tracer, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde. gun 6= 2 de Wilde, 2 AP, gun 7= 2 AP, 2 de Wilde. gun 8= incendiary white tracer, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP, 2 de Wilde, 2 AP.
The reason for this is so that if you are shooting outside of convergence or only get one wings guns on target you are always still putting in a mix of AP and incendiary. The reason I have white tracers on my outboard guns and red on the inboard is so that I can always tell where the spread of my bullets is going from each wing at any range. I find that this makes it so that I still get a lot of kills from outside of convergence or even if I'm putting only one wing on. With both types of tracers like this you can see at really close range or really far range what the spread between your guns is. For example I have scored enough hits on people to scare them into breaking and losing E from 600m away even with a 150 convergence because when the bullets get out to them you can draw a line in your head between the red tracer and white tracer from one wing and know your other two guns will be shooting in the middle of those, then you just need the right arc. I haven't seen many other people try the varied tracer colour load out but I highly recommend giving it a go. It doesn't do much on a hurricane as their guns are really close together but since a spits guns are quite spread out over the wing it helps estimate the spread a lot better at all distances when you shoot. Basically it lets you see a converging then diverging cone of fire from both wings. I can't really think of a better way to explain it without a diagram.

That was GREAT, the music was a great choice,who is it by?

:thumbsup:

The song is "Harmageddon" by the band "Apocalyptica". They play a lot of great music, and the majority of it is basically metal music just done with cello's.

Really injoyed the video and I've reposted it in our New Wings forums .... HERE (http://newwingstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1165&sid=d7d8c459fcb3a505d6d186d7e5d95df0)

Thank you very much for the compliment and repost! I'm happy to see people are passing it on, it really makes the time on videos seem quite worthwhile!

Good kills Headshot!

Good tutorial on how NOT to fly a 109 :geek:

True, however a good spitfire pilot can often trick a 109 into a turn fight (from my experience anyways). The trick is that when you see him starting to come in on you don't pull as hard as you can away. He will see you start to out turn him and go vertical right away. If you turn just slow enough to stay barely ahead of where he can point his guns most 109 pilots will think that they can still get you, not realizing you can still pull harder as needed. After 5-10 seconds most of his energy is gone and the 109 pilot usually decides that he is committed, at which point your tighten your turn rapidly and he doesn't have the chance to run. It's just a very fine line to walk because if you mess up at first he shoots your tail off...

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-06-2012, 06:06
Lol nice video...But serioulsy that 109 pilot should stick to the red aircraft...

That really ISNT how you fly a Messerschmitt :) :goofy

''After 5-10 seconds his energy has gone'' after 5-10 seconds id expect you to gunning for the deck after being hit and me on the way home for scones and tea, If i turned with you for even 5 seconds Id expect to be put back in flying school :)

Can I just ask what you would do if i faked the first BnZ on you where you have just comitted to a turn but i have now pulled a vertical and have even more of an Alt advantage on you.....Its only a matter if time before.... :)

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-06-2012, 11:14
Can I just ask what you would do if i faked the first BnZ on you where you have just comitted to a turn but i have now pulled a vertical and have even more of an Alt advantage on you.....Its only a matter if time before.... :)

Well first I would probably crap myself, then prepare for some pain... if you look at the description for the video I even mention there that if the 109 had gone vertical it would have ended very very differently.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-06-2012, 12:04
Well first I would probably crap myself, then prepare for some pain...

haha..

Ive been messing around offline last couple of hours, first time ive spent a bit of time in the Spit1aOCT for a few months....The difference in turning compared to the 109 is huge, not just circles but stability too..still trying to figure out where and when the mixture comes into play though :salute: