PDA

View Full Version : Axis Senitivity Settings

ATAG_Highseas
May-15-2016, 12:24
Hi...

I posted this in another thread but dont want to skew teh original post... so im starting it again here.

Here's the question....

What are you chaps using as sensitivity settings in game for your various axis?

I.m using a Warthog and have always had mine all set to 0. Which I have got used to. Or at least I think I have haha!`

have rudder poedals as well asom set to 0.

Very interested to know what the rest of you chaps have dialed in....

discuss:

ATAG_((dB))
May-15-2016, 13:42
I think your rudder are too sensitive, legs are more rough and you can't be precise like with your hand.

ATAG_Highseas
May-15-2016, 19:25
I think your rudder are too sensitive, legs are more rough and you can't be precise like with your hand.

My legs are rough?

ATAG_Highseas
May-15-2016, 19:28

but being serious for a moment !

i have noticed that the rudder sensitivity in CloD is HUGELY greater than in Battle of Stalingrad... though also i havent played that much at all. Cliffs pretty much has me in its clutches.

Maybe thats an intentional thing in BoS though... less full on rudder input?

ATAG_Colander
May-15-2016, 21:40
When I say the thread title I thought of:

http://battleofww2.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/4/29343297/5811651_orig.jpghttps://adhdjustlikeme.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/emotions-e1288602244802.jpg

ATAG_Flare
May-23-2016, 01:18
When I say the thread title I thought of:

http://battleofww2.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/4/29343297/5811651_orig.jpghttps://adhdjustlikeme.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/emotions-e1288602244802.jpg

I was going to post "what about allied sensitivity settings?"
Now I did.

ATAG_Highseas
May-23-2016, 13:04
I was going to post "what about allied sensitivity settings?"
Now I did.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this thread you can call our helpline on 555-456543

invictus84
May-24-2016, 01:28
I demand a safety zone where my feelings cannot be hurt by these insensitive postings!

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 11:09
Sooooo

Im using:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Crazy money very nice indeed thanks very much Rudder Pedals.... traded the CH ones in.

Since day 1 ive been using 0 sensitvity on ALL axis.

This evening i plan to try out 1 on the rudder and 0.75 on the joystick axis

I have absolutely no idea what this will be like.

anyone wanna chime in with recomendations please feel free

Highseas

Vlerkies
May-26-2016, 13:12
I use TARGET rather to apply a curve for axis of the warthog, much easier to get a the result you are after.
The old IL2 games used to have similar graphical things built into them but for some reason they were removed with Cliffs.
http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174c.html

Mine is at like 2 s curve, but I have modded my stick and its all a very individual thing really, whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

Vlerkies
May-26-2016, 13:21
Just to elaborate on the Cliffs settings.

The sensitivity slider will apply a S curve to an axis.
So if you use that for your stick, make sure you set both the X and Y axis the same, to whatever setting you want to get response uniformity.

Rudder, depends on the rudders and your style of flying.
I used to rest my feet on my Saiteks and always had a deadzone included because of the fact they moved of center very easily.
Also for aiming, deadzones can really upset this process if to wide as you chase the first response.
I also apply a S curve on the rudder, to make the movements more subtle from the center point, this helps for more precise finer aiming. You need to try a few settings and see what works for you.

Best is to hit a default quick mission and just fly for a minute or so straffing houses or whatever to get a feel for the response you are getting after the changes you have made.
Only takes a few minutes for you to dial it in pretty close to what you want.

The further across the sensitivity slider is to the right, the bigger (more pronounced) the S curve is.

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 15:35
well in now using 0.75 on the rudder and 0.5 on the joystick both x and y

rudder is an improvement.... seems a lot easier to handle rolls and spins without over correcting and then having to counter.. REPEAT etc

not sure about the stick... tried 0.25 as well...

not sure it makes much difference... could probably get used to all of them to be honest.

hmmmm...

Vlerkies
May-26-2016, 15:42
well in now using 0.75 on the rudder and 0.5 on the joystick both x and y

rudder is an improvement.... seems a lot easier to handle rolls and spins without over correcting and then having to counter.. REPEAT etc

not sure about the stick... tried 0.25 as well...

not sure it makes much difference... could probably get used to all of them to be honest.

hmmmm...

Do a flight at 0, then move the sensitivity all the way to the right for X and Y. You should feel the response difference off the center. If to laggy in the center at one, start cutting it back to the left.

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 16:04
Do a flight at 0, then move the sensitivity all the way to the right for X and Y. You should feel the response difference off the center. If to laggy in the center at one, start cutting it back to the left.

Its a trickey one this for sure.

0.5 on joystick and 0.75 rudder works well

0.75 joystick and 1 rudder... not so much. not responsive enough until you are at the edge of your throw.

pretty sure my rudder is staying at 0.75

joystick... not sure yet... 0.25, 0.5,

or somewhere betwixt the twain.

Tis a curios kind of magic this "sensitivity"...

makes me want to cry all over again

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 16:24
OK

Logic finally kicks in.

THINK BIKE !

Having just imediately crashed again during extreme aerobatics... im sticking with my last crash and burn settings. They work a little bit past what i can do.

Rudder 0.75 stick 0.25 x and y

my reasoning being THINK BIKE !

it still turns on a penny... way quicker than i want in the event that i decide to be a tool... much like my bike... quicker than i can handle... ie i have performance above my ability if i want to try using it... and THAT as we all know... is what we want on two wheels. Go faster than we need, stop quicker than we can handle, and turn faster than our bowels can realistically deal with.

once these settings seem manageable (or dull) I might lower sensitivity further. Not on the rudder though. That's pretty damn perfect right there.

A big thanks to me for all my input (well done me), and a special mention to Vlerkies. (Well done you)

haha !

My Advice.

0.75 rudder 0.25 joystick.

0 throttle (which I hope seems obvious)

ATAG_Dave
May-26-2016, 19:01
So if you use that for your stick, make sure you set both the X and Y axis the same, to whatever setting you want to get response uniformity.

Thats an interesting observation :thumbsup:. Mostly I fly the spitfire which is (in relative terms) more sensitive in pitch compared to roll. So i have the pitch at a higher 'sensitivity' (ie less linear) setting than the roll. Ive never thought to try adjusting this when in the 109 which has different (relative) handling pitch v roll.

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 19:14
OK fine.

Special mention to Dave too.

Vlerkies
May-27-2016, 02:26
Thats an interesting observation :thumbsup:. Mostly I fly the spitfire which is (in relative terms) more sensitive in pitch compared to roll. So i have the pitch at a higher 'sensitivity' (ie less linear) setting than the roll. Ive never thought to try adjusting this when in the 109 which has different (relative) handling pitch v roll.

Dave, it's just my slow brain not being able to comprehend different sensitivities for the X/Y axis. :D
I have always and do prefer to keep them (X/Y) uniform myself, across all flight sims or plane types, but yeah maybe other folks like to mix it up a bit.

ATAG_Laser
May-28-2016, 06:03
Last night my game for some reason went back to default settings. I have had to set everything up again, including my joystick sensitivity settings, but I cannot remember what they were before. I have set my X and Y axis to 0.25 and rudder to 0.75 after seeing this thread and that seems to work ok, but my stick doesn't feel quite right. What about the dead zone sliders beneath the sensitivity slider?, where should these be set? at the moment mine are all the way to the left

ATAG_Highseas
May-28-2016, 07:12
Last night my game for some reason went back to default settings. I have had to set everything up again, including my joystick sensitivity settings, but I cannot remember what they were before. I have set my X and Y axis to 0.25 and rudder to 0.75 after seeing this thread and that seems to work ok, but my stick doesn't feel quite right. What about the dead zone sliders beneath the sensitivity slider?, where should these be set? at the moment mine are all the way to the left

I have no dead zone other than on the toe brakes. Which I don't use as I'm flying allied planes.

I don't even know what the default setting are!

Enlighten me!

I may go back to 0 on the stick.

ATAG_Laser
May-28-2016, 08:24
I have no dead zone other than on the toe brakes. Which I don't use as I'm flying allied planes.

I don't even know what the default setting are!

Enlighten me!

I may go back to 0 on the stick.
This happened to me once before. When I started playing ATAG Paranoid helped me to set up my sensitivity settings but after a while the game reverted to default and I had to set it up again with the help of one of the ATAG guys, I think it was Dave. The default is maximum sensitivity, was having trouble with crashing on take off, (even more than usual). When I get the settings right I really should make a note of them in case it happens again

ATAG_Highseas
May-28-2016, 09:00
This happened to me once before. When I started playing ATAG Paranoid helped me to set up my sensitivity settings but after a while the game reverted to default and I had to set it up again with the help of one of the ATAG guys, I think it was Dave. The default is maximum sensitivity, was having trouble with crashing on take off, (even more than usual). When I get the settings right I really should make a note of them in case it happens again

Ha !...

yeah... I'm just experimenting...

0.75 on the rudder seems good though. Less than that is still definately controlable... but in a panic combat situation... not so much !!

anything over 0.5 on the stick and its suddenly not that responsive... very noticable in take off where its not so easy to get the nose down to then pull up a bit for take off.

thats basically why i went for 0.25.... half way beteen where i was at 0... and what definately didnt work for me.

Cant decide if I pefered 0 or not now ! haha!!

What is quite obvious is that if you take a player who is used to one setting and sudely change it all.. he will struggle to fly for a little while... and then compensate and be fine again....

starting to think it doesnt much matter.... just whatever you get used to... but that said there must be some kind of middle ground...

come on community... talk about your sensitivitys... dont hold back, we are all friends here.... just let it all out...

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-01-2016, 18:55
It's open mike night here again at the weekly "eveyone be too sensitive to talk" evening

Man...

tough crowd

ok... let me facilitate this weeks session...

everyone find a friend... or go to your happy place...

I'm now running 0.75 rudder... works well

0.25 on both x and y joystick axis also seems good.

0.00 on throttle though that should be obvious

good flight tonight aerobatic wise

Definately wouldn't want the rudder any more senitive... may even try it out at 1.00... though not for a month or so.

joystsick... seems good.. wouldn't want to go any higher than 0.25 though..... less maybe.. but this is a good setting i think...

so....

so far so good.

ok... there... I shared with the group...

Who would like to share next?

You?

OK yeah !.. You there with the massive balls and the swagger of Gary Cooper...

Floor is yours:

dix
Jun-08-2016, 05:53
Wait how are you using 0 sensitivity?
Isn't that like no sensitivity at all? Don't you just move the joystick around getting no real movement on the controls?

I'm using 100% on all axis and no deadzones

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-08-2016, 06:14
Wait how are you using 0 sensitivity?
Isn't that like no sensitivity at all? Don't you just move the joystick around getting no real movement on the controls?

I'm using 100% on all axis and no deadzones

well you would think so eh?... but no.... its actually quite the opposite.

0 is full senitivity. direct translation from input of your stick to output to the plane.

Basically it sets a senstivity curve. 0 is linear.

100 is teh maxiumum cuirve. It gives way less output to start with and reaches maximum at full deflection..

If you look at the sliders on the axis settings screen you can see this in real time. (not that that tells you how it will actually feel)

at 0 the input and output lines move exactly together, at 100 the output starts off slowy and catches up with the input at full deflection.

I found that joystick settings over 50 made it dificult to control the nose in take off.... less than 0.25 and it becomes a bit erratic in a panic situation.. combat becomes very taxing indeed.

rudder pedals any less than 0.75 is very twitchy.. very hard to correct a spin without overdoing it and spining the other way. 1.00 might actually be best on rudder pedals... in still running 0.75 though. I figured having changed so much recently i needed a bit of time to at least let one setup sink in properly !

Try this Dix:

Set all your settings to 0 and have a fly... its entirely possible... just will feel very twitchy to you.

in fairness I think you can probably get used to anything...

but 0 on throttle seems obvious... since you want a linear input there for sure.

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-08-2016, 06:23
I spent much of last month messing about with this... which is absolutely the single only reason I didn't shoot anything down... the single only reason you hear.

ok there.. I've said it.:D

seriously though....

Changing my setings has definately improved my level of control. I basically experimented finding the limits of where I knew I was having problems. and then opted for the mid point.

dix
Jun-09-2016, 06:02
Oh so basically i was flying in the very way I don't like to..
great..

I'm using all 0% now :doh:
I like my sens lines at 45 degrees, how can you fly with your butt if the controls are not linear? ^_^

it didn't have much impact on takeoff and landing to be honest, or in combat, just a little twerky while keeping formation but nothing to worry about

thanks for the heads up! :-) :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-09-2016, 06:32
I'm using all 0% now

thanks for the heads up! :-) :thumbsup:

No probs. I found going from 0 to 0.25 on the stick gave me a better feel. Not a huge amount in it... just felt a bit better. more than that I didnt like at all.

Conversely I found it very hard flying with 0 on the rudder, but I think the rudder is modelled WAY too sensitive in the first place.

Going to 0.75 has made a huge diffrence being able to control rolls. At zero I found that extreamly difficult.

At 0.75, I have much more control and find that I can stabilise the plane far more accurately when things get squirley !

ATAG_Laser
Dec-13-2016, 15:12
I have been having trouble, from pretty much the beginning really, with keeping my plane straight on the take off run. The Hurricane isn't too bad, but the Spitfire requires 100% effort and concentration on my part to get airbourne. I can usually manage to get up ok, but still crash, or pirouette on the runway sometimes, and now I have been trying out the 109 and this is even harder to keep straight.

The reason I have posted this here is because I am wondering if my rudder sensitivity settings could be to blame. Yes, I do apply slight right aileron to counter the torque, but if my plane starts to veer to one side I counter with my rudder (I am using the twist grip on my joystick rather than pedals) I twist the rudder very gently, hardly any movement at all, nothing happens, then suddenly my plane swings in the other direction. Most of the time I manage to correct myself in time to take off, (in the spit, the 109 less successful) but I am sure it shouldn't be this difficult.

I note from my post earlier in this thread that I was using a setting of 0.75 for rudder, but at some stage I must have changed this (can't remember doing this) as I have just checked and it is now set to 0.38 My dead zone sliders are both set right back to the left.

Now I could, and probably will, mess around with these settings to see what works best, but seeing as most of the posters on this thread are using pedals, I would be interested to hear from others that use a twist rudder as to what settings they use. :salute:

ATAG_Dave
Dec-13-2016, 15:49
I note from my post earlier in this thread that I was using a setting of 0.75 for rudder, but at some stage I must have changed this (can't remember doing this) as I have just checked and it is now set to 0.38 My dead zone sliders are both set right back to the left.

In short change it back :thumbsup:

Firstly Remember that a lower value is more 'sensitive'......(sensitivity is the wrong word for this anyway, its actually a non-linearity setting or S curve setting as they are otherwise called, but anyway)

A way to get a sense of what happening is to watch the sliders in the bottom right of the screen when you are adjusting the axis sensitvity. one is called In (for input) and one is called Out (for output). So you twisting the grip will move the In slider, ie you are making an Input. If you set the sensitivity to 0.00 the output slider will move at exactly the same rate as the input slider, so every single movement you make with your wrist is directly translated in game to the control surface (in this case the rudder) = very twitchy.

If you then set it to 1.00 you will see that initially the input slider moves at a faster rate than the output slider and gradually catches up towards the end of the travel. What this means in practice in game is that the rudder (in this case but it applies to pitch and roll in the same way) will be more forgiving of your inputs in the initial stages of movement of your twist grip - so a clumsy input will have a less dramatic output in game if that makes sense = less twitchy.

as ever everyone is different and what works for one wont for another but as a rule you are likely to find a higher (circa 0.75) value much more easy to live with.

Hope that helps :salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Dec-13-2016, 16:48

Firstly Remember that a lower value is more 'sensitive'......(sensitivity is the wrong word for this anyway, its actually a non-linearity setting or S curve setting as they are otherwise called, but anyway)

A way to get a sense of what happening is to watch the sliders in the bottom right of the screen when you are adjusting the axis sensitvity. one is called In (for input) and one is called Out (for output). So you twisting the grip will move the In slider, ie you are making an Input. If you set the sensitivity to 0.00 the output slider will move at exactly the same rate as the input slider, so every single movement you make with your wrist is directly translated in game to the control surface (in this case the rudder) = very twitchy.

If you then set it to 1.00 you will see that initially the input slider moves at a faster rate than the output slider and gradually catches up towards the end of the travel. What this means in practice in game is that the rudder (in this case but it applies to pitch and roll in the same way) will be more forgiving of your inputs in the initial stages of movement of your twist grip - so a clumsy input will have a less dramatic output in game if that makes sense = less twitchy.

as ever everyone is different and what works for one wont for another but as a rule you are likely to find a higher (circa 0.75) value much more easy to live with.

100% what Dave says !!

I run 1.00 on rudder. I can cope down to 0.75 but below that it's just not really workable...

Played around with it for a month... then a month at 1.00...

left it at 1.00

0.25 on pitch and roll work well for me.

Throttle obviously 0.00 since that you want that as a straight input.

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-13-2016, 17:19
legs are more rough

http://www.creepbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hairy-leg-stockings.jpg

ATAG_Laser
Dec-13-2016, 17:36

Thanks for that Dave. I believe that you helped me out with this once before when I first started. I have been trying different settings on the bomber server tonight trying to get airbourne in a 109, without success using any of the settings, ( man, that plane is a pig to take off in) All the same I will put it back to 0.75 and see how it goes. I have recently acquired a set of pedals actually, but I think I will stick with the twist grip for now:salute:

ATAG_Dave
Dec-13-2016, 18:19
Thanks for that Dave. I believe that you helped me out with this once before when I first started. I have been trying different settings on the bomber server tonight trying to get airbourne in a 109, without success using any of the settings, ( man, that plane is a pig to take off in) All the same I will put it back to 0.75 and see how it goes. I have recently acquired a set of pedals actually, but I think I will stick with the twist grip for now:salute:

With the 109, assuming you are using an E4 variant, dont forget that you need first to switch off the prop pitch automation and then manually adjust pitch to the 12 O'Cock (ie fully fine) position for take off. Other than that if you can get a spit in the air you shouldbe able to get a 109 in the air - remember to feed the power in gradually, gentle inputs and so on, add in a bit of practice (its CloD afterall...lol) and you will be fine.

If you have pedals and intend to use them then start using them would be my other comment - may as well jump in the deep end :thumbsup:

Good luck :salute:

ATAG_Laser
Dec-14-2016, 01:16
With the 109, assuming you are using an E4 variant, dont forget that you need first to switch off the prop pitch automation and then manually adjust pitch to the 12 O'Cock (ie fully fine) position for take off. Other than that if you can get a spit in the air you shouldbe able to get a 109 in the air - remember to feed the power in gradually, gentle inputs and so on, add in a bit of practice (its CloD afterall...lol) and you will be fine.

If you have pedals and intend to use them then start using them would be my other comment - may as well jump in the deep end :thumbsup:

Good luck :salute:
Yeah, I done that with the prop pitch Dave. Been trying out the 109 occasionally on the bomber server / Lead Farm for a week or two now. Managed to actually get airbourne about twice in god knows how many attempts. Just keep pirouetting on the runway, can't keep it straight. I am obviously more used to the spit now.

Have to learn the 109 to take part in Highseas next sightseeing tour :salute:

Kendy for the State
Dec-14-2016, 09:20
I find that if I don't take off directly into the wind the slightest breeze will cause the 109 to slew around. You also have to bring the throttle up very slowly. I still screw up the takeoff frequently, no matter how careful I am.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1lokos
Dec-14-2016, 09:58

A way to get a sense of what happening is to watch the sliders in the bottom right of the screen when you are adjusting the axis sensitivity. one is called In (for input) and one is called Out (for output). So you twisting the grip will move the In slider, ie you are making an Input. If you set the sensitivity to 0.00 the output slider will move at exactly the same rate as the input slider, so every single movement you make with your wrist is directly translated in game to the control surface (in this case the rudder) = very twitchy.

:thumbsup:

https://s27.postimg.org/li0duze2r/S_curve.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/rvpgy8iyn/)

https://s29.postimg.org/avs4ux847/S_curve_2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5kd8a7m1f/)image upload no resize (https://postimage.org/)

lil_head
Dec-14-2016, 23:30
The spit and 109 are a bit more sensitive on the ground than a hurri for a few reasons, mostly the wheels are closer together. I have a TM 16000m joystick and found that the twist axis was way to sensitive and soften it using the software it came with. I found that any tiny input had my aircraft swaying in flight like I was using full rudder, almost like it was an on-off switch. After dampening it to match the previous joystick I had its helped a lot to make it more realistic.
I also find it hard to take off in a 109 but I believe its just one of the nuances of the 109 in real life also. Same with spit. They need a lot more finesse on the ground, it just takes a little more care and concentration.

ATAG_Laser
Dec-15-2016, 01:27
Was flying the 109 again last night on the bomber server with my regular "squad".

After several more failed attempts I put my rudder sensitivity slider all the way to the right 1.0

Also had a bit of a "Eureka" moment when ATAG Vampire explained to me that I should be applying the rudder in short flicks of the wrist in both directions on the take off run rather than physically trying to steer the aircraft with the rudder, which I have been doing ever since I started playing this at the beginning of the year!!! :doh:

These actions worked a treat, and I subsequently managed two perfect take offs, (completely stuffed the landings, but that's another story.

Will try this rudder technique in my usual mount, the spitfire tonight, see if that works better :thumbsup:

ATAG_Vampire
Dec-15-2016, 03:26
Well done last night laser.

Just keep practicing and you will get to enjoy flying the 109.

Next time we will try the E4/B with bombs!!! Haha! After that we'll try the 110.

Cheers mate. :thumbsup:

~S~ :salute:

Baffin
Dec-16-2016, 09:44
Was flying the 109 again last night on the bomber server with my regular "squad".

After several more failed attempts I put my rudder sensitivity slider all the way to the right 1.0

Also had a bit of a "Eureka" moment when ATAG Vampire explained to me that I should be applying the rudder in short flicks of the wrist in both directions on the take off run rather than physically trying to steer the aircraft with the rudder, which I have been doing ever since I started playing this at the beginning of the year!!! :doh:

These actions worked a treat, and I subsequently managed two perfect take offs, (completely stuffed the landings, but that's another story.

Will try this rudder technique in my usual mount, the spitfire tonight, see if that works better :thumbsup:

I recommend you save up to buy a rudder pedals accessory. The best ones are quite pricey, but even the cheapest are a quantum leap in utility and realism over wrist-rudder control. Excellent new and used values can be found on eBay, etc. :joystick:

ATAG_Laser
Dec-16-2016, 17:57
I recommend you save up to buy a rudder pedals accessory. The best ones are quite pricey, but even the cheapest are a quantum leap in utility and realism over wrist-rudder control. Excellent new and used values can be found on eBay, etc. :joystick:

I have recently been given a set of saitek rudder pedals by someone who no longer uses his sim, and a saitek yoke, (which isn't suitable for flying the fighters in CLoD, but might be good to use if I ever fancy flying the bombers)

I do intend to convert to the pedals eventually, but I think it is fair to say that I have struggled to get the hang of flying this sim after nearly a year of practice. I am getting there slowly, but I think that going over to pedals at the stage I am at now could set me back massively

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-17-2016, 10:31
I have recently been given a set of saitek rudder pedals by someone who no longer uses his sim, and a saitek yoke, (which isn't suitable for flying the fighters in CLoD, but might be good to use if I ever fancy flying the bombers)

I do intend to convert to the pedals eventually, but I think it is fair to say that I have struggled to get the hang of flying this sim after nearly a year of practice. I am getting there slowly, but I think that going over to pedals at the stage I am at now could set me back massively

Nope. Plug them in, set axis sensitivity all the way to the right and practice driving around an empty field using your new rudders to steer. You willl get the hang of them in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk