PDA

View Full Version : Tough Day at Work

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 11:31
So anyway.. those of you who came on my sight seeing tour will know Shoreham Airport by now...

Today at work we suddenly needed somone to go walk some of the watercourses in the area, specifically those around the immediate edge of the Aiport....

Now who's gonna volunteer for that eh? Walking aournd an active airfield on a nice sunny day.... ?

Oh yeah... ME DAMMIT !!

I took my Spifire there for the second time this week. (Though this time I took the Triumph one not the Supermarine) and got some cracking shots... and some boring ones too of some watercourses.

What I hadn't expected to see was on my strole past the Northbrook College building on site... there it was... a MERLIN ENGINE right in the window...

I couldn't se a way to open the door, pulling the handle didnt work at all, pushing.. nope... and there was nobody at reception... but they do open when students come out... oh look here comes one now... So in I went... click click... out I strolled....

Will post some shots here later after I get home... There was a Jet of some vintage that I didn't recognise too... (not in the foyer mind.. it was up at the norhtwest ecorner of the airport)

Post some shots later !

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 12:35
Miscellaneous jet

Lancing College in the right place

a plane right on the approach we took on the sight seeing tour... would have had guns on that one for sure....

Unexpected Merlin Engine !!

One of the few remaining UK airports where even the terminal building can fly

My other Spitfire. Classic four point landing.

Vlerkies
May-26-2016, 12:51
Cool, thanks for sharing.

Jet looks like a Jaguar.

Very nice car to man.
:salute:

ATAG_Lewis
May-26-2016, 16:42
Looks like my old Dinky Sepecat Jaguar...I still got mine!

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2016, 19:09
Weirdest feeling was sitting there. Parked in a (four wheeled low performance) Spitfire... looking at where we touched down on Monday...

and then bumping into a Merlin engine...

ATAG_Laser
May-27-2016, 12:00
Miscellaneous jet

Lancing College in the right place

a plane right on the approach we took on the sight seeing tour... would have had guns on that one for sure....

Unexpected Merlin Engine !!

One of the few remaining UK airports where even the terminal building can fly

My other Spitfire. Classic four point landing.
I restored a 1974 Triumph Spitfire 4 back in the mid 80's. It was only about 11 years old when I got it, but it was rotten through. It was good mechanically though. Pretty much welded a complete new floor in it

dix
May-27-2016, 13:26
Oh man you went for a real sight seeing mission :O

Love the car!!

ATAG_Highseas
May-27-2016, 14:20
I restored a 1974 Triumph Spitfire 4 back in the mid 80's. It was only about 11 years old when I got it, but it was rotten through. It was good mechanically though. Pretty much welded a complete new floor in it

at 11 ?!... WOW !!!

Mk 4's are great... high reving racers.... 1298cc i think??

The 1500 (what i have) is a pretty low reving engine... great as a road car mind... very torquey.... and great fun arousn the country lanes... not sure it woudl make a good race car though... i think the mk4 woudl be better for that.

The 1500 is way better than stock once you ditch the poppet valves from the carb butterflys... thoses things are dumb as bricks.... you get a boat load more power by dumping those stupid things.... also makes it pop on the overun which sounds cool !

ATAG_Highseas
May-27-2016, 14:28
Oh man you went for a real sight seeing mission :O

Love the car!!

Yeah !

A few days after the tour I was there in real life... looking at our approach from a few days earlier !! brilliant coincidence !!!

My mind really wasn't on the job at all...

I was just looking at where I taxied to... and where I watched the rest of you come in to land.

That whole tour was brilliant... and being there for real a couple of days later was... just a bit sureal !!

That's poetry at work right there !!

ATAG_Laser
May-28-2016, 19:57
The jet is a Jaguar. Having been brought up close to the former airbase at Coltishall, Norfolk, I have watched these taking off and landing on many an occasion