PDA

View Full Version : D-Day, some overlay images of current scenes with the past.

Vlerkies
Jun-06-2016, 15:37
Some overlays of popular areas which a few decades ago were very different places to be.

A view of the seafront and Juno beach on May 5, 2014 in Bernieres-sur-Mer, France. Operation Overlord Normandy, Troops of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division are landing at Juno Beach on the outskirts of Bernieres-sur-Mer on D-Day.

A few more here.
http://www.businessinsider.com/these-haunting-photo-overlays-capture-the-horrors-of-d-day-2016-6

ATAG_Lewis
Jun-06-2016, 16:07
D-Day Anniversary today....~S~

ATAG_Flare
Jun-07-2016, 00:02
Berniers sur mer, I was there in winter 2015, (actually at the town right beside it, at Courseulles.) and it was an amazing experience. They still have some intact German bunkers with huge 88mm cannons in them. One even had a shell hole right in the front of its armour guard thing. Looked to be caused by a 20mm HE round. The stuff really makes you think, 70 years ago people were being shot right where you're standing. The crew of that gun was probably killed by that 20mm . . .

Frightening stuff. It's a tourist attraction now.

ATAG_((dB))
Jun-07-2016, 02:01
I also had the chance to make a day visit to the beach, the american cemetery and the museum. It was too quick unfortunately my wife and I both felt something in the air, something off or heavy not sure what it was. At the american cemetery, while I was having a smoke I meet a old British uniformed veteran that was there with some American and Canadian, he ask me for a light, I oblige and he said to me no worries if this beach didn't kill me I don't think the smoke will. The guy was very sharp and I wish that I would had the time to invite him for a beer of something but alas the tour bus was waiting to bring us in Paris. I promise to myself that I will go back with my own car next time.

I highly recommended to visit the D-Day beaches

Baffin
Jun-07-2016, 09:57
I also had the chance to make a day visit to the beach, the american cemetery and the museum. It was too quick unfortunately my wife and I both felt something in the air, something off or heavy not sure what it was. At the american cemetery, while I was having a smoke I meet a old British uniformed veteran that was there with some American and Canadian, he ask me for a light, I oblige and he said to me no worries if this beach didn't kill me I don't think the smoke will. The guy was very sharp and I wish that I would had the time to invite him for a beer of something but alas the tour bus was waiting to bring us in Paris. I promise to myself that I will go back with my own car next time.

I highly recommended to visit the D-Day beaches

It must be quite an experience on the ground in Normandy. For those flying over that area, ask the pilot for a "Tour" of the invasion beaches. International flights are not likely to alter course, but the pilots I know will be glad to point out the Normandy coast as you fly by if you ask him. Of course there is little on the shore to catch your attention, but the shallows just offshore offer a view of all the submerged ships and artificial harbor (I guess it's Winston's Mulberries) if the water is calm enough. It's quite easy to imagine the layout of the invasion with these landmarks (seamarks?) in sight.

Most airline pilots I know are just frustrated "Tour Guides" anyway! :flying2: