PDA

View Full Version : Any Advantage in Windows 10 for CLOD

Rapier07
Jun-08-2016, 02:07
Yes, I am getting that message to upgrade to Windows 10. I have Window 7 premium.
Alienware R4 modified liquid cooled
Intel 2600k overclocked to 4.0
16g Corsair Hyper X
2 Nvidia 760 GTX ACW ACX SLI
Ch Pro Fighterstick, Pedals, and Throttle
Tracker 5
My setup has served me well over the past 2.5 years flying 109s in CLOD. I will plug it..fav
I play CLOD on my desktop and do a few other games with it. I have a laptop for everything else so I really do not need to upgrade as a everyday device. I have played some of the excellent single player campaigns and do not want windows 10 to interfere with it. I am wondering is their any advantage upgrading to Windows 10 while it is free? Is their any drawbacks playing CLOD on Windows 10? Should I wait until the next TF upgrade? FYI- I have windows 10 on my laptop so I have adjusted using it. Thanks in advance.

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jun-08-2016, 03:03
My 2 cents...
I'm not a Win 10 owner but looking at the various threads available around there seems to be a slight performance improvement in using it ( but also some drawbacks, especially with devices recognition ).
The advice that I would give you is...never change a winning horse! ( if your actual pc set up works fine keep it as it is ).
I know...I'm conservative...but this have saved me many times when " messing up " with pc operating systems\pc settings. ;)

:salute:

=FI=Murph
Jun-11-2016, 23:37
I can only speak for myself. I have not had any issues with upgrading to windows 10 and Cliffs.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-12-2016, 01:50
Windows 10 gives a slight performance advantage over Windows 7 in CoD.

However, from my experience, all the rest of the cr*p you have to put up with when W10 is installed... not worthwhile.

I am sorry I didn't go back to Windows 7 Premium when I had the opportunity.

lil_head
Sep-22-2016, 09:42
I upgraded from win 7 to 10 and haven't had any issues but I did a fresh install and all I have on win 10 is STEAM, CloD, trackir and some joystick software.

I turned off updates after installing so haven't had any issues with auto updates ruining things. I do see some people having issues with win 10 and CloD not running but don't know if that's because of updates etc.

Ardu
Nov-08-2016, 22:17
My two pennies. I don't see any advantage to Win X vs. Win 7, re CLOD. This is not a technical comment, I'll leave that for someone who is qualified in that arena. But, from an empirical or practical viewpoint I can't tell the difference. So, no improvement. However, I see some downsides. Win X, separate from the CLOD environment, seems more invasive, dictating some settings and not allowing you to easily opt out. It also seems more cumbersome in general. I've used it for some time and am used to it, but to me Win 7 was more friendly and sensible.
However, the BIG PROBLEM, and this is a deal breaker for me, is the mess Win X seems to make of USB ports. It periodically and unilaterally changes the load sequence of ports and that causes massive problems for CLOD players who run multiple peripherals like rudders and throttles, in addition to joysticks. I didn't understand this at first and many times after loading Win X found the game going crazy with controls all mixed up. I went through weeks of re-loading and re-programing joysticks, etc. Then I found this thread: JOY STICK MANAGEMENT ( http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23245&p=242122#post242122 ). This ended the issue. Still, even with this simple process, I run a check (described in the above link ) before starting the game each time I turn on my computer. Just an additional step, no matter how simple, Windows 7 never needed.
Now, perhaps someone who knows Windows can point us to some positives with Win X that offset any negatives.

farley
Nov-08-2016, 23:10
Ardu, you can also check this post: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21117&highlight=ports

SIA_Sp00k
Nov-09-2016, 00:46
I have found if you don't have w10, the young players won't talk to you cause your considered old and living in the past. You may also have to communicate through your son on TS to complete the illusion.

Other than these minor inconveniences, no issues, slight perception of increased performance.

OH, and way cool daddy O, gnarley thread!