PDA

View Full Version : I shot down a friendly tonight

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 01:20
It was a G.50 and mistook it for a Hurricane. I felt bad about it.

Too late I realized it was friendly, and I think I rammed him.

Anyway, Im a noob, been here three weeks or so, have 4 kills and 11000000 deaths, but never had shot down a friend.

Sorry, Alex.

ATAG_Ezzie
Jun-09-2016, 01:57
Hey Alex,

Don't beat yourself up too much. Most long time flyers have probably done the same at some stage. I was on the server when you did it and you did the right thing by apologising which was accepted so all is good.

Best not to make a habit of it though - that's when people get annoyed.

G50s are often mistaken for Hurris so one thing you could try is when you log in take a quick peek at net stats to see if there are any G50s ( if u are flying blue) and then make sure you double check if u come across a Hurricane. After awhile you'll notice the different shade of brown and be able to tell the difference.

Don't let that stop u flying online!

Ezzie

Nork
Jun-09-2016, 02:51
Lol Don't tell everyone!
It's ok, it happens. When i was a noob i took out a few team mates too.
Also, read this it may help.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21308

May your journey be long.

69th_Nork

ATAG_Lewis
Jun-09-2016, 03:59
Remember an apology goes a long long way...and we all have done this when we began flying CLOD....and also it happened in real life too...

It is against the rules but accidents and mistakes aren't against the rules and if they are followed by an apology in chat they are usually forgotten very quickly ingame...

CLOD is a learning process...These are things that you have to learn in order to become a successful fighter pilot...

Get back on the horse...try spot the differences before you pull that trigger in future....and FLY Man FLY!!!...hehe

JimmyBlonde
Jun-09-2016, 05:44
You clown! How could you?

(Only kidding, it happens to everyone occasionally, just learn your lesson and you'll be fine.) Speaking of friendly fire, I shot down a Blenheim the other day. Why Top Hat thought it would be a good idea to send a squadron of them out into the middle of my convoy patrol boggles the mind. I think he just hates Blenheims because of course I'm going to shoot down anything with two engines that comes near our ships, that's my job! Boy did I feel like a clown. :sadface:

1/3_vszd_Tazar
Jun-09-2016, 07:42
"Kill them all and let God sort them out!" :)

Seriously: next time you will watch out better.

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jun-09-2016, 09:19
Shit happens! :)

BOO
Jun-09-2016, 11:37

Anyway, Im a noob, been here three weeks or so, have 4 kills and 11000000 deaths, but never had shot down a friend.

Sorry, Alex.

Well your way ahead of where I was after 4 weeks Alex! The first night i flew my hurricane in the server I peppered coldsteamers hurricane (with no G50s flying). i took me 4 weeks for my first kill. So friendly fire happens. Its also called Blue on blue and, to be honest, if its kept that way, we reds really dont mind at all! Keep an eye on your Net Stats to see whos flying what (hard a busy time i know but im sure that you can filter it by aircraft)

some things to know about G50 pilots....

Firstly - whilst this post stands alone here in the forum the "whoops i shot down a G50 in my 109" sentiment should have its own sticky thread. I happens........nightly.

You should understand that they are largely flown by people who know that their time in the air will be short and will end with the words "Im on your side". They know this......but they still take up G50s and (some) are still shocked when they are shot down. The best way to avoid this not to fly G50s. The second best way to avoid this is Teamspeak. If they werent on it.....teets of toughness to them. If you werent on it some self flagellation and corner standing may be in order but your limited hours do somewhat go in your defence. Remember that their poo smells the same as everyone else's and that they will have also rammed and shot at friendlies in their career (unless they fly G50s exclusively in which case its unlikely they ever lasted long enough to get their wheels up let alone kill or crash into anything). Unlikely, but there are exceptions......

They are also flown by the likes of Folgore, Porco Rosso and Grommit to name a few.. Here you have little worry of tipping an Ace as your unlikely to ever shoot one of these chaps down no matter what side your on (although once again all go up knowing that there is a strong possibility the flight will at least include words similar to those in point 1). Bless them all...but not to much.

Finally, you will notice that its a TV based device your flying around not yer actual 109. Whilst you should be lauded for fessing up and feeling bad its just a game and shouldn't really matter (especially if it is, as it was, a simple mistake).

<S!> and a belated welcome!

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 13:23
Hey Alex,

Don't beat yourself up too much. Most long time flyers have probably done the same at some stage. I was on the server when you did it and you did the right thing by apologising which was accepted so all is good.

Best not to make a habit of it though - that's when people get annoyed.

G50s are often mistaken for Hurris so one thing you could try is when you log in take a quick peek at net stats to see if there are any G50s ( if u are flying blue) and then make sure you double check if u come across a Hurricane. After awhile you'll notice the different shade of brown and be able to tell the difference.

Don't let that stop u flying online!

Ezzie

Thanks for your words,

I will fly :) It´s just that last night I felt real bad.

I´ve been at the six of many G50´s with no problem, last night I swore it was a Hurri, until it was too late.

Alex

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 13:26
Well your way ahead of where I was after 4 weeks Alex! The first night i flew my hurricane in the server I peppered coldsteamers hurricane (with no G50s flying). i took me 4 weeks for my first kill. So friendly fire happens. Its also called Blue on blue and, to be honest, if its kept that way, we reds really dont mind at all! Keep an eye on your Net Stats to see whos flying what (hard a busy time i know but im sure that you can filter it by aircraft)

some things to know about G50 pilots....

Firstly - whilst this post stands alone here in the forum the "whoops i shot down a G50 in my 109" sentiment should have its own sticky thread. I happens........nightly.

You should understand that they are largely flown by people who know that their time in the air will be short and will end with the words "Im on your side". They know this......but they still take up G50s and (some) are still shocked when they are shot down. The best way to avoid this not to fly G50s. The second best way to avoid this is Teamspeak. If they werent on it.....teets of toughness to them. If you werent on it some self flagellation and corner standing may be in order but your limited hours do somewhat go in your defence. Remember that their poo smells the same as everyone else's and that they will have also rammed and shot at friendlies in their career (unless they fly G50s exclusively in which case its unlikely they ever lasted long enough to get their wheels up let alone kill or crash into anything). Unlikely, but there are exceptions......

They are also flown by the likes of Folgore, Porco Rosso and Grommit to name a few.. Here you have little worry of tipping an Ace as your unlikely to ever shoot one of these chaps down no matter what side your on (although once again all go up knowing that there is a strong possibility the flight will at least include words similar to those in point 1). Bless them all...but not to much.

Finally, you will notice that its a TV based device your flying around not yer actual 109. Whilst you should be lauded for fessing up and feeling bad its just a game and shouldn't really matter (especially if it is, as it was, a simple mistake).

<S!> and a belated welcome!

Thank you for your reply,

As I said, I´ve been behind G50´s and hadn´t pull the trigger. I do remember I was very sleepy last night, wanted to land and jump to bed, that played a part in my mistake.

I think it was Folgore I shot down, BTW :(

Alex

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 13:31
Remember an apology goes a long long way...and we all have done this when we began flying CLOD....and also it happened in real life too...

It is against the rules but accidents and mistakes aren't against the rules and if they are followed by an apology in chat they are usually forgotten very quickly ingame...

CLOD is a learning process...These are things that you have to learn in order to become a successful fighter pilot...

Get back on the horse...try spot the differences before you pull that trigger in future....and FLY Man FLY!!!...hehe

Hi ATAG_Lewis!

I remember you helped me a lot two years ago when I was trying to get CLOD running, took a while but it works perfectly now.

Last night I think I was tired, I´ve never been even close to firing on a friendly in the time I´ve been here, but last night I did. Didn´t like it one bit.

Thanks for your kind words, Alex

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 13:33
Shit happens! :)

My dear adversary (When red) Herr Mölders! I remember you shooting m down a couple times.

Yes, shit happens, and it stinks!

Alex

BOO
Jun-09-2016, 13:52
Thank you for your reply,

As I said, I´ve been behind G50´s and hadn´t pull the trigger. I do remember I was very sleepy last night, wanted to land and jump to bed, that played a part in my mistake.

I think it was Folgore I shot down, BTW :(

Alex

Well ive always found Folgore to be nothing but a perfect gent to be so im sure you'll be fine.

Heavy
Jun-09-2016, 14:01
Alex,

I once sawed the wings off not one but two G50's in the span of no more than 30 seconds. Thought I was just tearing apart those nasty hurri's in my 109 until I read the in game chat asking me why I was shooting down friendly's... :doh:Then it dawned on me... It happens, don't sweat the small stuff :salute:

Gromit
Jun-09-2016, 14:16
If you fly G50's you run the risk of a blue on blue, it happens, I have been shot at so many times by myopic 109 drivers that I now tell the Stevie Wonder staffel where I am flying, even this sometimes does not work and I am forced to vent the offending blind bat so he gets the message!

It can be annoying but it does make you very aware of who's around you, I regard 109's as more of a danger than the reds so I take precautions and keep my eyes open!

The simple method of identification is if it's turning just look for a blunt nose as it's a radial on a G50, if your approaching from the rear just look for the radiator on the bottom, Hurri rads are easily spotted as they protrude from the fuselage bottom between the wings, G50's have a flat underside, so just check before you fire, and don't think it's just you, I flew wing with a G50 in a hurricane once before the pair of us suddenly realised who we were with and ended up in a ridiculous low speed dogfight!

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 14:33
Alex,

I once sawed the wings off not one but two G50's in the span of no more than 30 seconds. Thought I was just tearing apart those nasty hurri's in my 109 until I read the in game chat asking me why I was shooting down friendly's... :doh:Then it dawned on me... It happens, don't sweat the small stuff :salute:

I totally get you.

I´ve been many times behind a G50, but last night I pulled the trigger. I just thought it was a Hurri.

Alex

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 14:34
If you fly G50's you run the risk of a blue on blue, it happens, I have been shot at so many times by myopic 109 drivers that I now tell the Stevie Wonder staffel where I am flying, even this sometimes does not work and I am forced to vent the offending blind bat so he gets the message!

It can be annoying but it does make you very aware of who's around you, I regard 109's as more of a danger than the reds so I take precautions and keep my eyes open!

The simple method of identification is if it's turning just look for a blunt nose as it's a radial on a G50, if your approaching from the rear just look for the radiator on the bottom, Hurri rads are easily spotted as they protrude from the fuselage bottom between the wings, G50's have a flat underside, so just check before you fire, and don't think it's just you, I flew wing with a G50 in a hurricane once before the pair of us suddenly realised who we were with and ended up in a ridiculous low speed dogfight!

Thank you, the radiator advice was priceless, much obliged :)

Alex

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 14:38
Some days ago a 110 shot at me head on while flying a 109, was a bit surprised but since it didn´t hit me I didn´t care too much.

Had he shot me down I´d take it with a grain of salt, it´s bound to happen I know, but it sucks when it´s you pulling the trigger.

Thanks to you all for the advice and kind words, Alex

ATAG_Colander
Jun-09-2016, 14:57
Some days ago a 110 shot at me head on while flying a 109, was a bit surprised but since it didn´t hit me I didn´t care too much.

You sure you didn't have a spit on your tail? :D

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 15:17
You sure you didn't have a spit on your tail? :D

If he had been on my six, it could be, but this was a head on attack just after taking off.

Alex

Vadr
Jun-09-2016, 15:28
I would like to compliment the G50 driver who pulled the nice Neg G evasive in front of me day before yesterday on the Relinquish map. I recognized you, but not until I got close. :D

JG27-Gaidin
Jun-09-2016, 15:35

Sorry, Alex.

Salute and Howdy Alex,

Like everyone says; don't sweat it, it happens more than it should with G-50s. Here's a little piece of trivia that I use to distinguish them; The G-50 has a radial enging so has a nose like the bottom of a bottle, the Hurri has an inline engine so has a nose like a dart. Once you get used to looking at the nose and not the body of the aircraft you will find it's a piece of cake telling them apart.

Good Hunting,
Gaidin

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 16:51
Salute and Howdy Alex,

Like everyone says; don't sweat it, it happens more than it should with G-50s. Here's a little piece of trivia that I use to distinguish them; The G-50 has a radial enging so has a nose like the bottom of a bottle, the Hurri has an inline engine so has a nose like a dart. Once you get used to looking at the nose and not the body of the aircraft you will find it's a piece of cake telling them apart.

Good Hunting,
Gaidin

Thanks man,

The problem was a six o´clock approach, so I couldn´t see the nose. BUT, in the end, what led to this mistake was that I was very tired, normaly I can tell a G50.

Cheers, Alex

JG51_dab
Jun-09-2016, 17:46
Thanks man,

The problem was a six o´clock approach, so I couldn´t see the nose. BUT, in the end, what led to this mistake was that I was very tired, normaly I can tell a G50.

Cheers, Alex

Happens to all of us Alex... hell... I even shoot down my own wingmen on occasion. Thankfully the more they trust you the easier the shot. :)

If you are dead 6 on a hurri and you can't see the nose look for the little intake/rad sticking out below the fuselage.

Cheers!

dab

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-09-2016, 18:17
Obviously mistakes happen... but too often it is just laziness and lack of attention which sees 'Friendly Fire' happen.

There is really no excuse for firing at a Hurricane or Spitfire if you are in another Red plane or firing at a G-50 or 109 if you are in a Blue plane... all that is required is to take the extra second to ID the location and number of radiators.

Spits only have one wing rad... Hurricanes only have one, and its under the fuselage. 109's have two. G-50's have none.

Pilots who don't take the time to inform themselves about the above should not be flying.

If you are so far away you cannot see the number of Rads... then you are probably too far away to hit effectively... so you should hold fire, get up close, ID clearly, and then fire if the aircraft in question is hostile.

Alexunderpressure
Jun-09-2016, 22:54
Obviously mistakes happen... but too often it is just laziness and lack of attention which sees 'Friendly Fire' happen.

There is really no excuse for firing at a Hurricane or Spitfire if you are in another Red plane or firing at a G-50 or 109 if you are in a Blue plane... all that is required is to take the extra second to ID the location and number of radiators.

Spits only have one wing rad... Hurricanes only have one, and its under the fuselage. 109's have two. G-50's have none.

Pilots who don't take the time to inform themselves about the above should not be flying.

If you are so far away you cannot see the number of Rads... then you are probably too far away to hit effectively... so you should hold fire, get up close, ID clearly, and then fire if the aircraft in question is hostile.

I´ve been behind G50´s before, and always aproach enough for a 100% ID, last night I was almost falling asleep, I do blame it on that, because I´ve never been even close to fire on a friendly.

I was coming back to land, as I said tired, and saw this plane, I aproached and saw the color and just pulled the trigger, a second later I realized it.

I always ID planes before shooting, I think being tired was a big part of this mistake.

Alex

Infinity
Jun-09-2016, 23:01
I had a problem mistaking ju 88s for Blennies from 6 o'clock. I think I've got that one solved now.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-10-2016, 00:47
I´ve been behind G50´s before, and always aproach enough for a 100% ID, last night I was almost falling asleep, I do blame it on that, because I´ve never been even close to fire on a friendly.

I was coming back to land, as I said tired, and saw this plane, I aproached and saw the color and just pulled the trigger, a second later I realized it.

I always ID planes before shooting, I think being tired was a big part of this mistake.

Alex

I'm not blaming you particularly, my comment was not directed towards you.

We've all made mistakes... but too often I see friendly fire incidents which are clearly a failure of the firing pilot to do his homework.

When a Spitfire follows a Hurricane around in a tight turn circle for 30 seconds, closing on their tail, but still fires, that is clearly a player who is negligent. It is impossible at that range and attitude to not see the rondels or the shape and colour of the aircraft which is your target.

Or when another type makes one firing pass at a friendly... misses... and then comes back for another shot... that is simply unacceptable... it is just laziness in IDing the opponent in front of your eyes, or perhaps even deliberate.

I have seen 109's attack G-50's time and again... even when the G-50 pilot is on comms and in chat... watched attacks go on for 5 minutes. That is completely bogus. :thmbdwn:

Everyone should do their due diligence, and look at the aircraft in Single Player. Freeze the action, and Zoom in and out... LOOK.

I can usually tell at a kilometer distance what kind of plane I am looking at... the distance model renders are not all the same, there are subtle differences between the types.

Alexunderpressure
Jun-10-2016, 00:53
I'm not blaming you particularly, my comment was not directed towards you.

We've all made mistakes... but too often I see friendly fire incidents which are clearly a failure of the firing pilot to do his homework.

When a Spitfire follows a Hurricane around in a tight turn circle for 30 seconds, closing on their tail, but still fires, that is clearly a player who is negligent. It is impossible at that range and attitude to not see the rondels or the shape and colour of the aircraft which is your target.

Or when another type makes one firing pass at a friendly... misses... and then comes back for another shot... that is simply unacceptable... it is just laziness in IDing the opponent in front of your eyes, or perhaps even deliberate.

I have seen 109's attack G-50's time and again... even when the G-50 pilot is on comms and in chat... watched attacks go on for 5 minutes. That is completely bogus. :thmbdwn:

Everyone should do their due diligence, and look at the aircraft in Single Player. Freeze the action, and Zoom in and out... LOOK.

I can usually tell at a kilometer distance what kind of plane I am looking at... the distance model renders are not all the same, there are subtle differences between the types.

I never took it personal my friend :) I get what you´re saying.

Alex

FightingSteel1
Jun-10-2016, 04:21
Don't sweat it this time...if you don't make a habit of it you'll be fine. I've hit a couple of G.50s before, but way back I somehow thought a Stuka was a red plane from above. That was pretty sad:ind:

Really my issue recently has been with the 110. I've been obliterated by 109's over friendly airfields thinking I'm an attacking Blenheim. Happens at least once every week.

Gizz
Jun-10-2016, 05:56
I have been shot at so many times by myopic 109 drivers that I now tell the Stevie Wonder staffel where I am flying

LMAO!! tea has been sprayed all over my TV now :D

Back on topic..

it happens... don't beat ya self up, say your sorry's and move on, it doesn't sound like you have a issue normally so learn what you can from it and put it in ya pocket and become better and better...

one great thing about being a sim pilot, we get to make mistakes and learn from them even if its a deadly one, the real guys who did this for a living sadly didn't have that luxury, so take it on the chin learn and smile... that's my thinking with stuff like this....

last night I went on a 30 min sortie hi alt with nothing, then I get directed onto our bombers dive in to find 4 109's, I smile with glee as I line one up, close in to about 200yds he pull into a climbing turn, PERFECT! line the shot up as I just go to pull the trigger the CLOD crashes.......

yes im still sore.... don't judge me :D

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jun-11-2016, 01:48
I always remember the first time that I've played on the ATAG server flying a Bf 110...
I've had a very hard and very long dogfight against an Hurricane then at the end I was able to shoot it down in some way...
I was very happy ( my first kill online, damn! ) until I've not heard on Ts Trademe saying... " Who the hell have shoot down my G50 flying a Bf 110???!!! "...Guess who was? It was me! ...:recon::) :) :) That was my excellent baptism of fire...mein Gott... :doh::getaway:

Gizz
Jun-11-2016, 12:33
I always remember the first time that I've played on the ATAG server flying a Bf 110...
I've had a very hard and very long dogfight against an Hurricane then at the end I was able to shoot it down in some way...
I was very happy ( my first kill online, damn! ) until I've not heard on Ts Trademe saying... " Who the hell have shoot down my G50 flying a Bf 110???!!! "...Guess who was? It was me! ...:recon::) :) :) That was my excellent baptism of fire...mein Gott... :doh::getaway:

A kill is a kill as far your first goes lol... bet the look on your face was a good one :D

Brennus54
Jun-12-2016, 05:38
Hello,

I exclusively fly the G50 since years and i'm in agreement with ATAG members who said here this is total neglicence and inacceptable !!
Indeed these type of issues happened too frequently,

It's a case of noob pilot, blind pilot, tired pilot.

First you have to identify, second you have to shoot (maybe it's to complicated for some kind of pilots..)

Nothing is more frustating to be shot by an ally after 1 hours of flight.

For example, even when we are landing at calais, there is some idiots who shoot at us.

BUT
Mistakes are part of human behaviour,

I remember that i read some battle of britain testomany which said it really happened that german fighters shoot at italian fighters. Could someone confirm or deny this point ?

AND This persistent danger makes us constantly aware and better pilots

ps: i always fly on ts since 6 months and the first thing i say it is that i fly a G50 ahah... <<please open your eyes i pilot a G50>>

SEE U IN THE AIR

EDIT: i fly an entire 4h map this afternoon, i was attacked 3 times by 109,
some ridiculous situations : -2 109 are attacked by 1 hurricane, i come to help, the two 109 attack me many times, during this persisting error, the hurricane kill the 2 109.
- I'm draging 2 spitty, 1 109 come to help me (i thank) but in fact he exceed the 2 spits and shoot at me ....
I try to keep calm.....*** unbelievable.
open your eyes please

But what a good afternoon after all

http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744011-20160612154941-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744011-20160612154941-1.jpg)
http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744027-20160612163511-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744027-20160612163511-1.jpg)
http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744027-20160313163911-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744027-20160313163911-1.jpg)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-12-2016, 14:20
What Brennus says is unfortunately too often true. Why? Who knows... :S:S:S

British Planes DO NOT have yellow noses!

Hello,

I exclusively fly the G50 since years and i'm in agreement with ATAG members who said here this is total neglicence and inacceptable !!
Indeed these type of issues happened too frequently,

It's a case of noob pilot, blind pilot, tired pilot.

First you have to identify, second you have to shoot (maybe it's to complicated for some kind of pilots..)

Nothing is more frustating to be shot by an ally after 1 hours of flight.

For example, even when we are landing at calais, there is some idiots who shoot at us.

BUT
Mistakes are part of human behaviour,

I remember that i read some battle of britain testomany which said it really happened that german fighters shoot at italian fighters. Could someone confirm or deny this point ?

AND This persistent danger makes us constantly aware and better pilots

ps: i always fly on ts since 6 months and the first thing i say it is that i fly a G50 ahah... <<please open your eyes i pilot a G50>>

SEE U IN THE AIR

EDIT: i fly an entire 4h map this afternoon, i was attacked 3 times by 109,
some ridiculous situations : -2 109 are attacked by 1 hurricane, i come to help, the two 109 attack me many times, during this persisting error, the hurricane kill the 2 109.
- I'm draging 2 spitty, 1 109 come to help me (i thank) but in fact he exceed the 2 spits and shoot at me ....
I try to keep calm.....*** unbelievable.
open your eyes please

But what a good afternoon after all

http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744011-20160612154941-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744011-20160612154941-1.jpg)
http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744027-20160612163511-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744027-20160612163511-1.jpg)
http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/23/1465744027-20160313163911-1.png (http://www.noelshack.com/2016-23-1465744027-20160313163911-1.jpg)