PDA

View Full Version : Lowe resolution to spot contacts?

Alexunderpressure
Jun-23-2016, 00:52
I´ve heard that a very high resolution makes it more difficult to spot contacts.

Is this true? What resolution do you use?

Thanks for any input.

Alex

ATAG_((dB))
Jun-23-2016, 01:07
Yes it can be done but here goes your immersion. You can also try reduce it in game but on your Nvidia control panel double your DSR to put it back at your native resolution and play with your smoothness. But the real deal is a big tv.

Think of it that way, a full HD resolution have 1920x1080 pixel either it's on a Samsung phone or on a 55" Tv you shure can imagine that the pixel size are bigger in the TV.

o7

ATAG_Freya
Jun-23-2016, 01:07
No fancy vid card, so no high res for me. I suppose high res would make contacts difficult to spot though. Don't want them pixels smaller! Even with a better card, I would leave my res at my native 1080X1920 because the sim looks beautiful enough to me! That, and not seeing them before they see you = dead you. (not that I always live when I do spot first ha) Best thing I ever done - bigger monitor. Made a few small tweaks to the coloring via NCP, left AA low, and I try to scan the sky properly. Happy as hell.

:salute:

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jun-23-2016, 01:10
In my opinion this is one of the urban legends related to the game.
Personally speaking I've tried different video resolutions ( from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 ) and the ability to spot contacts is pretty much always the same. ( online multiplayer )
What really makes the difference, in my opinion, in the ability of spotting contacts, is the parameter set by the server ( at least in online multiplayer ) about the parameter mp_dotrange ( if I remember correctly the nomenclature or should be something similar ) that changes the distance at which dot contacts are displayed and rendered on the server of interest.
For example ( with exactly the same video settings and resolution on my computer ): on the XXX server aircraft dots are displayed starting from 14 Km of distance ( server with higher mp_dotrange values ) on the XXX2 server, instead, aircraft dots are displayed starting from 10 Km of distance ( server with lower mp_dotrange values ).
Note instead that in offline single player you can easily change the mp_dotrange values at your will ( so in brief you can increase or decrease the maximum distance at which aircraft dots are displayed ) but, the eventually modifications made to the mp_dotrange values while offline will not apply at all in online multiplayer games ( the server in fact will overwrite the mp_dotrange values depending on the settings about this parameter chosen and set by the server admins\developers on their server ).

Salute! :salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-23-2016, 10:50
I´ve heard that a very high resolution makes it more difficult to spot contacts.

Is this true? What resolution do you use?

Rhanks for any input.

Alex

I had my first outing last night with a new 27" 1920x1080 IPS monitor in place of my 23" of the same type.

I don't know if spotting was eaiser or if I was just flying better but last night but I got a couple of kills, first ones in a while. And it looked great still.

I wouldnt want a bigger screen without upping the resolution though... I think 27" at 1920x1080 is already pushing the edge of looking a bit jagged in some areas... the A on the ATAG web page for example looks a lot smoother on the 23" screen.

In game it was perfectly fine.. I didn't notice any grapical issues at all..

To me as far as resolution goes its got to be a balance... CLoD is such a beautifal game visually that for me the idea of using a TV is not appealing (though I have not seen the result so I might be completely wrong on that.)

Definately keeing the 23" as well as the 27"...

Reading and writing on the 23".... CLoD / Films on the 27"

BOO
Jun-23-2016, 12:14
BIG tv, close up sitting and damn the radiation burns!!

I think it looks fine on my 40" Samsung at 1920 X 1080 and can imagine it would improve further if i could DSR.

Personally i go for immersion over 1979 atari graphics every-time.

Whilst spotting is very important, over time ive also found that predicting scenarios is also equally important. It doesnt always pan out for me and i dont take my own advice all of the time (usually to my cost) but, if i turn my mind to it, more often than not i can be more relaxed about getting the critical first spot in because Im above (also a great advantage where there are clouds) and am willing to stay there unless i have a "plan" (see previous "usually to my cost"). This in turn makes me much more methodical (and more effective)l in my spotting as opposed to having to fearfully dart my eyes all over the place.

Another tip i picked up was not search but to scan. By this i mean generally observing an area so that movement is caught by the corner of your eye as the phrase goes.

Regards

BOO

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-23-2016, 12:47
. By this i mean generally observing an area so that movement is caught by the corner of your eye as the phrase goes.

Regards

BOO

Absolutely... like looking at a star cluster late at night... if you look right at it you see nothing.

You can see that phenomenon really well on the Contact Spotting demo thingy

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13915&highlight=spotting+contact

Gizz
Jun-23-2016, 13:27
Im running 1080p on a 38" TV, been running this a while and it works great.. maxed out this sim looks incredible!

ATAG_Highseas
Jun-23-2016, 13:38
Im running 1080p on a 38" TV, been running this a while and it works great.. maxed out this sim looks incredible!

yeah...

It is a thing of beauty no doubt !

Dangerous as it is... i LOVE flying really low... it just looks stunning !

Vlerkies
Jun-23-2016, 14:50
In my opinion this is one of the urban legends related to the game.
Personally speaking I've tried different video resolutions ( from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 ) and the ability to spot contacts is pretty much always the same. ( online multiplayer )
What really makes the difference, in my opinion, in the ability of spotting contacts, is the parameter set by the server ( at least in online multiplayer ) about the parameter mp_dotrange ( if I remember correctly the nomenclature or should be something similar ) that changes the distance at which dot contacts are displayed and rendered on the server of interest.
For example ( with exactly the same video settings and resolution on my computer ): on the XXX server aircraft dots are displayed starting from 14 Km of distance ( server with higher mp_dotrange values ) on the XXX2 server, instead, aircraft dots are displayed starting from 10 Km of distance ( server with lower mp_dotrange values ).
Note instead that in offline single player you can easily change the mp_dotrange values at your will ( so in brief you can increase or decrease the maximum distance at which aircraft dots are displayed ) but, the eventually modifications made to the mp_dotrange values while offline will not apply at all in online multiplayer games ( the server in fact will overwrite the mp_dotrange values depending on the settings about this parameter chosen and set by the server admins\developers on their server ).

Salute! :salute:
My experience is quite different.
Knocking down the res one notch definitely helps in my case.

This depends on I suppose numerous factors most importantly the quality of the monitor and your mk1 eyeballs.
The higher the quality the harder it is to see things. Thats why guys are using tv's, with lower dpi and as a result bigger pixels.

To elaborate I have a Asus pg279q monitor native res 2560x1440. 27"
Used to have a sammy, 27" , same screen size but 1920x1080. I always ran the sammy at 1600x900 for clod. Induces more shimmer, especially on that blasted Barly map S France, but otherwise cant see anything.

On the pg279q I run 1920x1080. On the same amount of screen real estate if I dont the dots are ridiculously difficult to pick up.

As an aside I have a butt old hd tv 40" I can run the full res and see for miles, but the dpi of the tv is hands down way lower than any dedicated pc monitor. The image is not nearly as good, depends on your distance from the panel but in general poor, but you can see them taking off from bloody Hawkinge almost as you go feet wet :)