PDA

View Full Version : ATAG combat since the 1.09

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-16-2012, 08:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TjAAcZ5EY0&feature=plcp

Uploaded in 720p.

I decided to make another video with some of the clips that I have accumulated since patch 1.09 and 1.10 came out. Some of the footage was taken the first night of 1.09 when there were a lot of people on the server so there may be some slight warping in a clip or two, but thankfully 1.10 seems to have improved the netcode to allow more people to play at once lag free!

Unlike most of my other vids where I have shown me successfully doing things, this one includes a bit of what I do best! ...and by that I mean getting my ass shot.

I am still running my resolution at 1280x800 instead of 1920x1200 so that I can see contacts from further away, then cropping to 1280x720 to fit youtube, which also lets me get rid of the chat bar for the most part.

To anyone that has tried this game in the past and wasn't too happy with all the bugs and FM's I highly recommend you come back and try playing on patch 1.10. They have fixed a lot of the bugs (including the planes landing gear appearing down which will really help get some of the immersion back for multiplayer) and tweaked the FM's so that the spit and 109 are far far more competitive with each other. Dogfights are quite close and the pilot that goes in with the advantage comes out on top as the planes are very closely matched.

One effect that I quite like and had not noticed before is that you can hit an enemy fuel tank and see a stream of fuel coming out, not just smoke or mist. This is in the final clip of the movie if you want to look for it.

As usual please feel free to post any comments or questions and let me know what you think.

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-16-2012, 09:46
Great footage, Headshot! I was especially impressed with your stall/spin recovery in the Spit at such a low height. Did you use your flaps to help break the spin?

ATAG_Colander
Oct-16-2012, 09:51
Nice! love the galactica sountrack :)

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-16-2012, 11:44
The video was great .... was the music form Battlestar Gallactica? Which one? I have two of those albums (some where).

ATAG_Colander
Oct-16-2012, 12:44
"Prelude to War", Season 2 sound track. That's one of my favs with "Passacaglia".

Ohms
Oct-16-2012, 18:58
That was great, well done.

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-16-2012, 20:04
Great footage, Headshot! I was especially impressed with your stall/spin recovery in the Spit at such a low height. Did you use your flaps to help break the spin?

Ya, I dropped my flaps a turn or two in and almost immediately it started to recover. If you look on the right middle of the screen you can see exactly when they deploy. The trick to recovery at low altitude is to fight the urge to really pull back on the stick as that will just cause another stall.

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 06:54
Ya, I dropped my flaps a turn or two in and almost immediately it started to recover. If you look on the right middle of the screen you can see exactly when they deploy. The trick to recovery at low altitude is to fight the urge to really pull back on the stick as that will just cause another stall.

Great technique. Will have to practice that! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-17-2012, 08:05
Another trick is to use your trim to pull out instead of pulling on the stick as it can make it a little smoother.

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 08:56
Hmmm, that's worth a try, too. I have trim controls assigned to a couple of CH Quadrant levers. They're smooth, but very sensitive even to slight trim inputs. I'll see how it works.

Muchos gracias! :salute:

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-17-2012, 09:01
Hmmm, that's worth a try, too. I have trim controls assigned to a couple of CH Quadrant levers. They're smooth, but very sensitive even to slight trim inputs. I'll see how it works.

Muchos gracias! :salute:

I have them assigned to CH levels as well and I couldn't agree more, they are very very sensitive. I haven't found a way to turn them down yet but I want to, but even with how sensitive they are if you very slowly pull back on the lever it works like a charm. Sometimes I will actually still use my trim for vertical aiming while tailing someone as I find if I am careful with it it can be slightly smoother then trying to tug on the stick for a careful shot. At least I did this more when I had an X-52, but now that I have a Warthog with a 5" extension I have enough sensitivity on the stick to just use that!

71st_AH_Code_E
Oct-17-2012, 10:14
I've really been considering getting an extension for my warthog. That sucker has a very strong centering force.

Which extension did you get Headshot? Or did you make it yourself?

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-17-2012, 11:04
My dad is actually a machinist so we just went to his shop for an afternoon. Made a 5" extension and a mount so that the stick sits on the floor between the legs and has a pipe that comes up to the right height. It looks pro too. I will have to post a few pics after I move as I have had a lot of people asking about it. I highly recommend the extension. You will get far finer control out of the stick and reduced centering force.

71st_AH_Code_E
Oct-17-2012, 12:12
Unfortunately, I use one of these bad boys (I only have 2 monitors though, not 4) 1046:geek:

I'm not sure of how much of an extension I want to use before the stick would be uncomfortably high.

The most I could stand right now would probably only be about 2 inches. :(

I might have to get my machinist friend to modify the mounting system for the stick to get anything longer to work.

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 12:22
Here's what I did with my Warthog stick:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMBR8M0z2E

Basically you're removing the huge main spring and using the smaller auxiliary springs inside to maintain the centering force. Fortunately this operation is completely reversible, and no animals are harmed in so doing.

I have to emphasize that this is my SECOND choice of reducing the centering force of the Warthog stick. My FIRST and PREFERRED choice would be to do exactly what Headshot has done. Still, I find lightening the centering force helps tremendously in making fine aiming adjustments when fully zoomed in. Others may find this method makes the stick too lightly sprung, but the guy in the video mentions you can use small metal washers with the auxiliary springs to bring the tension up a bit.

71st_AH_Code_E
Oct-17-2012, 13:02
Yeah I've seen that video before in my searching. I agree that removing springs would be my second choice over using an extension.

But with my current setup, it's probably the best option.

Did you use just the auxiliary springs by themselves or did you add a couple of washers?

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 13:38
I didn't use washers. The centering force may be lighter than what many would prefer, though.

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-17-2012, 14:20
I will try remember to post a pic of mine when I get home. Extension is definitely the way to go as it not only reduces the centering tension but it gives you far finer control over movement for fine precision aiming.

ATAG_Colander
Oct-17-2012, 14:41
I will try remember to post a pic of mine when I get home

I really hope we are talking about the gaming interface!!! :) :) :)

ATAG_Headshot
Oct-17-2012, 14:43
And I was really hoping someone would take the bait on that comment! You never fail to disappoint colander :P

JG52_Krupi
Oct-17-2012, 15:50
I will try remember to post a pic of mine when I get home. Extension is definitely the way to go as it not only reduces the centering tension but it gives you far finer control over movement for fine precision aiming.

Agreed, I have already shown my "extension" both here and on the banana forum :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 16:03
Agreed, I have already shown my "extension" both here and on the banana forum :thumbsup:

I covet that Warthog extension of yours, Krupi :devilish:

Sadly, the fellow that did such a good job with yours is no longer doing them. :(

I'm surprised Thrustmaster/Guillemot themselves don't make an extension kit themselves, including the longer cord inside.

JG52_Krupi
Oct-17-2012, 16:18
Help is on hand snapper :D

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3640790/Re_Selling_warthog_extension_o.html#Post3640790

The wire is easy to make yourself, enjoy :D

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-17-2012, 17:19
Thanks for the link, Krupi. Definitely worth a look! :thumbsup: