PDA

View Full Version : Oral History

Rall451
Jul-11-2016, 14:43
In an effort to contribute something to this excellent community I’d like to share this story. I’ve had occasion to speak with many WWII vets. B17 and B24 gunners, U.S. submarine and destroyer guys, Marines who served in the South Pacific (including my own uncle) and women too. Real life Rosie the Riveters who worked in aircraft and munitions plants. Many of them had moonshine stills on the side. But the story for here is from my friend who was a boy living near the Croyden airfield during the Battle of Britain. He used to ride his bicycle to the base and talk to the pilots as they sat around in their flight suits. He said everyone tried to maintain a normal life during the battle, and school kids were issued tin doughboy style hats to wear to and from school. Shell casings and airplane parts fell from the sky, and pitched battles were plainly visible overhead. He vividly remembered the sounds. He said the HE111s had a unique droning sound that filled everyone with dread. And the V1 rockets made a thumping sound, but it was the silence when the engine cut out that was most fearsome. Though his house was damaged and many friends killed, he and his parents survived intact. He still has the hat.

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Jul-11-2016, 14:52
Welcome to the online community Rall451 and thanks for sharing with us all your story!
The whole Stab I./JG 51 wish you to have tons of fun during your online experience!
In the case you will need help to getting started with the game or you want to team-up with other virtual pilots join Teamspeak and you will find a lot of senior pilots available to help you moving the first steps in the game.
Personally speaking feel free to contact any of our pilots ( recognizable by the Stab I./JG 51 tag preceding their usernames ) every time that you could need help we will be more than happy to help you, if in our possibilities!
Normally you can find us on the Storm of War TeamSpeak server ( address: 85.236.101.5:10427 password: stormofwar ) in our dedicated channel ( Stab I./JG51 ) or on the ATAG TeamSpeak server ( Address: 216.52.148.29 no password required ).

Welcome aboard!

Salute! :salute:

Maj Robert Mölders,
Gruppenkommandeur,
on behalf of Stab I./JG 51 Gruppe