PDA

View Full Version : Jospeph Bilton AKA Cannon Skins

BOO
Jul-20-2016, 08:06
Hi

As ive been gathering reference stuff from the interweb for my own skins, ive come across this gentleman's work a few time and eventually some of his webpages on which there are many many glorious skins made for the original IL2. A quick look at the quality of the work clearly shows "Cannon" is a proper Digital Graphics artist (far better than i will ever be) and, whilst the skins cannot simply be loaded into clod, and show many differences in the panel lines and proportions due to the differing game wire frames they are absolutely beautiful.

With my limited skills i am able to manipulate certain panels onto the the clod models and replicate many things i simple dont have the skills or tools to do as well. This isnt wholesale lifting but a panel here and a scratch there which is blended cut, bent, stetched and reshaded into my own work.

To date none of my shared skins use this work because i do not know how or if i can get hold of the artist to seek his permission. The are no contact details apparent on the skins site whilst the main skin is showing down for maintenance and has for some time. I am reluctant to simply credit him without first having asked but really want to incorporate his work into the clod.. The last copywrite date on the site is 2007 and i can find no link to him anywhere else.

Does anyone know of Mr Bilton?

Thanks

BOO

major_setback
Jul-20-2016, 16:18
Hi

As ive been gathering reference stuff from the interweb for my own skins, ive come across this gentleman's work a few time and eventually some of his webpages on which there are many many glorious skins made for the original IL2. A quick look at the quality of the work clearly shows "Cannon" is a proper Digital Graphics artist (far better than i will ever be) and, whilst the skins cannot simply be loaded into clod, and show many differences in the panel lines and proportions due to the differing game wire frames they are absolutely beautiful.

With my limited skills i am able to manipulate certain panels onto the the clod models and replicate many things i simple dont have the skills or tools to do as well. This isnt wholesale lifting but a panel here and a scratch there which is blended cut, bent, stetched and reshaded into my own work.

To date none of my shared skins use this work because i do not know how or if i can get hold of the artist to seek his permission. The are no contact details apparent on the skins site whilst the main skin is showing down for maintenance and has for some time. I am reluctant to simply credit him without first having asked but really want to incorporate his work into the clod.. The last copywrite date on the site is 2007 and i can find no link to him anywhere else.

Does anyone know of Mr Bilton?

Thanks

BOO

You should give credit to the original artist whenever you upload your work. That is all that is needed.
I think most skins artists don't mind their skins being used or manipulated as long as they are credited, so that everyone knows who created the original work.

Just write: 'Skin based on an original work by...' and that will be enough.

The worst thing is when people change a skin only slightly (by adding weathering for example), and then claim it their own work, as has happened previously with Captain Farrel, (one of the best skinners for CoD and the IL2 series). I honestly think he lost a lot of interest in skinning because of it. A great shame.

Cheers, setback

BOO
Jul-20-2016, 17:12
Thanks Setback

I always ensure the credit is given where its due. THere were a couple of skins with a readme expressly forbidding anything other than personal use and whilst its easy to say "so what" i think its important to respect those wishes. That said no reply any other the email addresses supplied and i think ive done pretty much all i can- so yes - a clear credit. although having just lost 4 hours work to a very hot and bothered PC that may not be needed for some time!!

Kind Regards

BOO

SIA_Sp00k
Jul-20-2016, 18:22
Waiting for my overdue credit from Boo......

BOO
Jul-21-2016, 03:31
Waiting for my overdue credit from Boo......

Oh sorry - Thank you Sppok for allowing me to give you all the skinning templates and work id done with them thus far. It was very gracious of you to accept them. :-)