PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Vsync is a must!

Tvrdi
Oct-18-2012, 17:23
I forgot to set vsync to adaptive (when i migrated from gtx470 to GTX 660Ti) in nvidia CP and didnt even google about it.....and was shockingly suprised how this improved my avg framerates and smoothness in Cliffs and in ROF....Also i heard some negative biased comments about adaptive vsync which was one of the reasons I didnt try this earlier. Well i tried adaptive Vsync and now CLOD is vurtually super smooth on my rig (i7920 Oc to 3.6 Ghz and GTX 660Ti) even on ATAG where I have high ping.....so...
I knew that "classic" vsync is "locking" max FPS to highest native refresh rate of my monitor (typically 60hZ for most LCDs) which means game couldnt run higher than 60 FPS (to avoid "screen tearing")....What I didnt know is...if your FPS drops from, lets say 60 to (still very playable) 55, vsync will lower FPS to 30!! A serious decrease in performance and a serious drawback...
what adaptive vsync does....it keeps max FPS still locked to monitor refresh rate BUT if your FPS drops below that, it wont lower the FPS to 30, instead your FPS will be in real time, as it is....lets say 55....
Just dont forget to turn off vsync within game settings (if there is an option for that; and it is in CLOD). For some reason in ROF it doesnt work quite well so its better to leave ingame vsync ON and to set FPs limiter to 60 (as it have that option too).

here is the whole article and a part which explains the main thing:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/

What vsync does is cap the game's framerates to the highest native refresh rate of your display. This means on our 60Hz display, the game won't exceed 60FPS. As most people consider 60 FPS to be a very smooth gameplay experience, this sounds like there would be no drawbacks, but unfortunately there is. The problem with turning VSync on is that the framerate is locked to multiples of 60. If the framerate drops even just a little below 60 FPS VSync will drop all the way from 60 FPS to 30 FPS. This is a huge drop in framerate, and that large change in framerate becomes noticeable to the gamer. The result is called stuttering, and when you are playing a game that consistently changes between only 30 and 60 FPS, the game speeds up and slows down and you feel this difference and it distracts from the gameplay experience. What's worse is that if the framerate drops ever so slightly below 30 FPS the next step down for VSync is 20 FPS, and then the next step down is 15 FPS.
These are large steps, with no middle-ground for framerate. With VSync turned on, while curing tearing, introduces its own problems. Therefore, up until recently there hasn't been a very good solution. Either you dealt with tearing, or you dealt with sudden FPS drops. There are some add-on logic solutions as well but these have never caught on well. NVIDIA wants to change this VSync issue, and we are glad this is finally being focused on.
Adaptive VSync is a smart VSync on option that has two goals, eliminate tearing, and eliminate the sudden stuttering and FPS drop. It eliminates the cons of VSync off and on, and allows the pros from both methods.
Adaptive VSync in essence dynamically changes between VSync on and off automatically to deliver no tearing above the refresh rate, yet no FPS drop. Quite simply, with Adaptive VSync VSync is turned on, capping the game to the refresh rate of your display. It will cap to 60 FPS on 60Hz displays, or 120 FPS on 120Hz displays. This eliminates tearing. Secondly, if the framerate drops below your refresh rate VSync shuts off and allows your framerate to run in real-time. Then, when the FPS gets back up to your refresh rate, VSync kicks on and keeps the image from tearing.
What this means is that you will always get the best performance out of your games under your refresh rate. You won't be dropping to 30 FPS if the framerate drops slightly under 60 FPS, as VSync natively operates. Instead, if your framerate only drops to 55 FPS, then you will get 55 FPS. Then, when the framerate reaches the refresh rate, VSync kicks on keeping the game from tearing. It is so simple in description that we wonder why it has never been done until now! NVIDIA is the first to provide this technology to deliver a smooth gaming experience with VSync on.
As you might imagine, Adaptive VSync also has the side effect that if the video card isn't rendering over 60 FPS, it will save power. The video card won't have to work as hard as it would with VSync off, and therefore is a power saver in its own right.

I know some of you already is using adaptive vsync but maybe this will help someone....

ATAG_Torian
Oct-19-2012, 00:37
I've not heard about this before so thx for the heads up. As I read it it looks like it turns vsync off if it drops below your refresh rate (60hz on my monitor). So does that mean the screen tearing is back until u get back up to your refresh rate ? If so I imagine that would look kinda ugly after a while. Will check it out tho when I get home. Thx Tvrdi

Tvrdi
Oct-19-2012, 03:43
I've not heard about this before so thx for the heads up. As I read it it looks like it turns vsync off if it drops below your refresh rate (60hz on my monitor). So does that mean the screen tearing is back until u get back up to your refresh rate ? If so I imagine that would look kinda ugly after a while.
Nope. You wouldnt experience tearing because tearing you see only if FPS goes higher than 60 (refresh rate of your monitor)....what adaptive vsync does is it kicks in when actual FPS is more than 60 (so it limits the FPS to refresh rate of your monitor) and if actual FPS is less than 60 (lets say 54) adaptive sync wont drop FPS to 30 as "classic" vsync is doing....so actual referesh rate will still stay at 54 (as vsync is turned off). Simple as that. For some reason in ROF that doesnt work well (ROF uses its own fps limiter and vsync) but in CLOD it works flawlessly. Aand..it works good in BF3 too hehe...

Here is a video which explains Adaptive Vsync:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xswwk3_adaptive-vsync-showcase-featuring-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-ti-linus-tech-tips_tech

Tvrdi
Oct-20-2012, 16:43
Tonight i experienced some light screen tearing with adaptive vsync (like i dont have vsync at all)......

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Oct-20-2012, 18:28
I get really bad tearing with adaptive vsync, especially around the prop. I use full vsync with triple buffering and have no problems at all, fps never drops below 60.

ATAG_Torian
Oct-21-2012, 22:34
I tried the regular adaptive refresh rate and I had screen tearing. I tried the half refresh rate setting and was better. I have a feeling it is as I suspected and it turns vsync off if fps drops below your refresh rate. With the half refresh rate enabled it means fps has to drop below 30 before it shuts off.

Dutch
Oct-22-2012, 07:33
I tried adaptive v-sync when it first arrived in the beta driver a few months ago. Got terrible screen tearing with trackir. Went back to in-game v-sync, no probs. 60Hz monitor.

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Oct-22-2012, 07:35
Actually that will cap you at 30 fps if your refresh rate is 60hz. Regular vsync + triple buffering is superior to adaptive. With triple buffering your frames do not half if fps drops below the refresh rate.

Dutch
Oct-22-2012, 07:44
Actually that will cap you at 30 fps if your refresh rate is 60hz. Regular vsync + triple buffering is superior to adaptive. With triple buffering your frames do not half if fps drops below the refresh rate.

Ah. You mean adaptive v-sync will cap you at 30? I see. Sorry for misunderstanding.

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Oct-22-2012, 08:30
Ah. You mean adaptive v-sync will cap you at 30? I see. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Dutch, sorry my reply was to Torian. Adaptive (half refresh rate) will cap you at 30 fps with a 60hz monitor. Regular adaptive would cap you at 60 fps w/ 60hz monitor. But like you I get really bad tearing using trackir w/ adaptive. I find normal v-sync + triple buffering to be best. No tearing at all then.

Tvrdi
Oct-23-2012, 04:41
An idea with adaptive vsync was good but its not working well....I mean to have FPS in "real time" when FPS drops below monitors refresh rate and to have max FPS limited to monitors refresh rate...but that doesnt work well apparently....btw, which vertical sync you guys are using? One from the game or the one from the nvidia CP? Whats the difference anyway?

Dutch
Oct-23-2012, 07:46
which vertical sync you guys are using? One form the game or the on from the nvidia CP?

I use the one from the game. Works fine.