PDA

View Full Version : Any british 4k skins - UHD ?

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-21-2016, 20:18
I've noticed when flying my defiant that when i zoom right in, on my 4K monitor, that the skins look low res - especailly the weathering. They probably aren't for 1080p, not zoomed right in.

Are there any UHD skins for Spits / Hurricane / Defiant ? or a process to upgrade current skins ?

Ta

BOO
Jul-22-2016, 06:02
FLYING your defiant?

I think 2048 x 2048 is the biggest you can go.

After that its all down to the art, the image smoothing/blurring over groups of pixels and the attention to detail and the quality/file type. ultimately though there are only so many pixels I believe.

Regards

BOO

BOO
Jul-22-2016, 06:18
Thinking about it, the weathering is hard coded but there are skins by MAJOR SETBACK, KEEFYBOY and CAPTAIN FARRELL that incorporate wear and weathering. These are beautifully produced skins and negate much of the need for the in game overlay.

Finally, you have a 4K monitor but what resolution are you playing at?

Regards

BOO

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-22-2016, 06:59
Thinking about it, the weathering is hard coded but there are skins by MAJOR SETBACK, KEEFYBOY and CAPTAIN FARRELL that incorporate wear and weathering. These are beautifully produced skins and negate much of the need for the in game overlay.

Finally, you have a 4K monitor but what resolution are you playing at?

Regards

BOO

3840 X 2160 @ 30 FPS moslty high settings - textures HIGH.

BOO
Jul-22-2016, 07:27
3840 X 2160 @ 30 FPS moslty high settings - textures HIGH.

So yes Id imagine that what you are seeing are the results of lower res work from the original hardcoding (square paint chips etc). I dont think that there is a way to upgrade this other than use other's custom skins or perhaps gimp or photoshop some weathering yourself.

I still curious as to how you are flying a Defiant.

Regards

BOO

major_setback
Jul-22-2016, 07:27
Are there any UHD skins for Spits / Hurricane / Defiant ? or a process to upgrade current skins ?

You may have missed the download section of the forum. If so it's here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php

major_setback
Jul-22-2016, 08:51
All parts of the aircraft exterior have to fit on the 2048x2048 skin.
Therefore the bigger the aircraft, the less detail there will be.
If you have a small aircraft with few parts then the wings (for example) will be bigger on the skin, so there will be more pixels per wing... so more detailed.
Bombers will generally look less detailed than fighters.

I don't think the planes look bad, but I'm not using a 4K screen. Can you post a screenshot of the skin you are using on the defiant? It might just be a badly made skin.

This is about the limit to the detail you can get on a He 111 (an old skin from an older version of the game. It won't look good in the present version. It will be too dark):

cheers, Setback

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-22-2016, 20:01
Not actually flying a defiant, just setting up a battle with AI then following a particualr defiant around - using SHIFT / CTRL F2 and F10 to rotate around the aircraft, Then Zoom camera as close as possible to see fine details.

This next picture is an excellent example of the contrast between the High detailed Turret and gunner, and the lowish, blurry detail of the skin and weathering - the 2 stand out.

major_setback
Jul-23-2016, 02:53
The skin isn't loading properly for some reason. Usually it does after a few minutes. You should clearly see the rivets. Give it a bit of time and fly for a while. It might load slowly.

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-23-2016, 08:20
The skin isn't loading properly for some reason. Usually it does after a few minutes. You should clearly see the rivets. Give it a bit of time and fly for a while. It might load slowly.

That plane is flying over water .. it took off, fought, then flew over water .. how long should i wait ?

BOO
Jul-23-2016, 10:33
You'll have to forgive me if there is something im not getting about resolutions but in zooming right into the defiant at your resolution, the a/c skin will be at 100% when its filling approx 2/3 of your screen. The further you zoom in, the more distorted the image will become. So regardless of how fast the skin renders, at your res its not going to be sharp very close up as it being stretched to probably three times its size.

Whats interesting in the image are the parts that are sharper- i dont have a defiant skin with the machine parts but it looks as if some parts of the 3D model may be larger on the skin pack than the main scale and thus retain their integrity longer.

BOO
Jul-23-2016, 11:00
BTW

I know its not UHD but there is a spitfire skin in UHT

major_setback
Jul-23-2016, 12:59
That plane is flying over water .. it took off, fought, then flew over water .. how long should i wait ?

For me there is a point where the resolution suddenly 'snaps' and the skin looks clearer. I wouldn't know why it isn't happening for you. I can't help you with that issue. I only do skinning, and don't understand the technical side of the game at all.
I hope someone else can help you with this. If you don't get an answer in this thread then post it in another section of the forum. It might get missed here.
Sorry I can't help more.
I may be totally wrong, but you should see sharp rivets.

There might even be a problem with just the Defiant skin that no one has noticed before. Can you try other skins to see if it still happens with those?

This is the defiant skin. It's one of those released early on, probably made by the original developers. You should see the rivets in-game:

A close-up of it (I made it a bit lighter so it's easy to see):

So the skins in-game should really look something like this:

Close-up:

Cheers, Setback

LARRY69
Jul-23-2016, 13:21
I think your PC/Video card is to weak. I`ve had the same issue with my former PC (GTX 660) like you, but if I was in the air, after a while it "snaps" in, like Major said. Then if I (or the AI) landed then it was blurry again. Now with the GTX970 and a decent PC I see all details on the ground with higest settings, clouds, lots of Planes and runs like a hot knife trough butter.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/20160723190754_1_zpsg9zrmnvi.jpg~original

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jul-23-2016, 13:56
I think Larry is correct, a 580 is a good card but at that screen resolution with everything high its probably being pushed beyond its capabilities.

I spy an early predecessor to the Blue Man group in Larry's photo. :D

LARRY69
Jul-23-2016, 16:16
I spy an early predecessor to the Blue Man group in Larry's photo. :D

I see, I can nothing hide!

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/blue%202_zpsahygqgxs.jpg~original

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-23-2016, 23:39
I think your PC/Video card is to weak. I`ve had the same issue with my former PC (GTX 660) like you, but if I was in the air, after a while it "snaps" in, like Major said. Then if I (or the AI) landed then it was blurry again. Now with the GTX970 and a decent PC I see all details on the ground with higest settings, clouds, lots of Planes and runs like a hot knife trough butter.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/20160723190754_1_zpsg9zrmnvi.jpg~original

WOW! I'm drooling atm .. <:O~~~~~

more reasons to upgrade :)

Would like a GTX 1080 but they are impossible to find, AMD 480 8Gmem looks interesting, it shines under Vulcan (DX12 competitor)

Mysticpuma
Jul-24-2016, 04:00
Avoid AMD for CloD. There are still issues with texture tiles on the landscape having visible lines. This is an AMD issue only, no problem with Nvidia.

1060/1070 or 1080 would be perfect but if you can't wait a lot of us use the 970/980 and get a 60-fps constant performance :)

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-24-2016, 23:30
Avoid AMD for CloD. There are still issues with texture tiles on the landscape having visible lines. This is an AMD issue only, no problem with Nvidia.

1060/1070 or 1080 would be perfect but if you can't wait a lot of us use the 970/980 and get a 60-fps constant performance :)

Thanks for heads up on the AMD card.

TWC_SLAG
Jul-27-2016, 14:34
I'm just glad he didn't leave out the "k" in the thread title.

HurricaneHarvest
Jul-28-2016, 02:10

glad to see your mind is on the job ... :salute:

BOO
Jul-28-2016, 02:29

It'd be a helluva good reason NOT to upgrade the graphics card.....