PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft parts mapped to skin templates, downloads here!

Uwe
Jul-29-2016, 22:37
Hello all!
I know that when I started skinning I really wanted a map of where every piece of the 3d model was on the skin. Sadly these UVW mapping "wireframes" were not available for CoD as they were in DCS and BoS&M.
Thanks to ATAG_Colander (who has been kind enough to give me the UVW maps in pieces) I have been able to make these very maps for our skins.
For example the standard 109E skin can be as simple as this(minus the mech layer):

and with the UVW map you can see where nearly EVERYTHING goes:

Mask layer for the Complete UVW map:

BF-109E:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/730ll8bdva8a7m9/BF-109E+UVW.psd

Spitfire:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/42kohx2rrwr0zpu/Spitfire+UVW.psd

Hurricane:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lm0rw1ddz8ffb6i/Hurricane+UVW+map.psd

Use as you wish, I hope its of use to new and old skinners alike.
Ill be working on the 87, 88, and Beau this weekend.

EDIT: Major Setback was kind enough to bring a problem to my attention, primarily relating to how we all sin.
The way I use the layer masks is to drop them on top of my camo layers and then add all my details (mech layer, weathering, etc) above it. In this case the mask layer works well.
However if you don't use a detailed mechanical layer on top of the mask some things will be missing when using the mask. Totally my fault for not recognizing that others use their templates differently.
That being said I'm just going to post the UVW maps for each aircraft. Everyone can use these regardless of how they skin.

philstyle
Jul-30-2016, 02:39
This is an incredible resource!
Tanks Uwe

BOO
Jul-30-2016, 03:17
Good Morning Uwe

Im afraid you'll have to be patient with me.

Many of the skin templates available from KEEFYBOY already have the machine parts and panel lines. What features does this excellent work add and how am i best to use it?

Kind Regards

BOO

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jul-30-2016, 04:23
What this shows is the actual unwrapping of the 3d object into 2d space. The aircraft is made as a 3d object, and to create a skin or easily editable paint job, the object has to be "cut" so it will lay out flat into 2d space in a nice and orderly way.

The templates Uwe is showing here allows you to toggle on/off the actual unwrapping of the 3d object. I'm no skinner so I'm not entirely sure of all the benefits.

While you can follow the paint/colors of the existing skin, having the unwrap is much more precise and allows you to possibly ID objects quicker and easier.

Here is a shot of the Martlet, if an actual skin, besides the panels and rivets I did existed, meaning it had a paint job with the rivets/lines visible but colors all over it, it would be much more difficult to ID all the objects.

With the actual UVmap, you can literally see every object, their location, how they were cut, and how they will fold back into a 3D object.

BOO
Jul-30-2016, 05:02
"Ting" < sound of lightbulb going on in my dull head

Thank for explanation SM and cool model!

Uwe - THANKS!!!!!!

Kind Regards

BOO

ATAG_Lewis
Jul-30-2016, 06:54
Uwwwweeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Uwe
Jul-30-2016, 08:44
What this shows is the actual unwrapping of the 3d object into 2d space. The aircraft is made as a 3d object, and to create a skin or easily editable paint job, the object has to be "cut" so it will lay out flat into 2d space in a nice and orderly way.

The templates Uwe is showing here allows you to toggle on/off the actual unwrapping of the 3d object. I'm no skinner so I'm not entirely sure of all the benefits.

While you can follow the paint/colors of the existing skin, having the unwrap is much more precise and allows you to possibly ID objects quicker and easier.

Here is a shot of the Martlet, if an actual skin, besides the panels and rivets I did existed, meaning it had a paint job with the rivets/lines visible but colors all over it, it would be much more difficult to ID all the objects.

With the actual UVmap, you can literally see every object, their location, how they were cut, and how they will fold back into a 3D object.

Yep. For me its biggest advantage is that I can precisely line up things like lettering, unit markings, and camouflage patterns within a few pixels between different parts of the airplane, so that I'm never scratching my head wondering how things align and keeps me from having to start the game/FMB every 20 minutes to check my work. With this I know I'm very close without even starting the game.
Of course for many of us we could paint a hurri in our sleep by now, but hopefully it will cut the learning curve for new skinners.

KeefyBoy
Jul-31-2016, 12:05
Great work Uwe,Thanks Buddy
:woohoo::bravo::cheers:

1lokos
Jul-31-2016, 12:29
Is possible paint a line in, for example, Spitfire/Hurricane dashboard in cockpit?

Uwe
Jul-31-2016, 13:03
Is possible paint a line in, for example, Spitfire/Hurricane dashboard in cockpit?

I don't believe so. Those parts aren't accessible.

BOBC
Jun-20-2017, 13:22
Ill be working on the 87, 88, and Beau this weekend

Hi Uwe,
one year on how did you get on with the Ju87 and Ju88 UVW files ?

BOBC