PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds of restricting pilot movement a bit?

philstyle
Aug-03-2016, 03:05
Would it be too much work to reduce the ability of the fighter-variant pilot in cliffs to reposition their body so far forward in the cockpit (which also means looks behind can be easier than one might expect).
Visually, it looks to me like we can slide forward about 1 to 1.5 feet as though there were no harness at all . . from my own RL experience with pilot harnesses, even 10cm or so can be very difficult.

Has any thought be paid to reducing the fwd/backwd movement of the pilot in the fighter variants?
Nothing too drastic, but maybe just a 25% reduction on the current amount in order to make it slightly closer to reality...

Reference - see from 1 minute in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1Yyhy4fQ4

Stormrider
Aug-03-2016, 07:02
Would it be too much work to reduce the ability of the fighter-variant pilot in cliffs to reposition their body so far forward in the cockpit (which also means looks behind can be easier than one might expect).
Visually, it looks to me like we can slide forward about 1 to 1.5 feet as though there were no harness at all . . from my own RL experience with pilot harnesses, even 10cm or so can be very difficult.

Has any thought be paid to reducing the fwd/backwd movement of the pilot in the fighter variants?
Nothing too drastic, but maybe just a 25% reduction on the current amount in order to make it slightly closer to reality...

Reference - see from 1 minute in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1Yyhy4fQ4
This is something which can be easily done if you are using Freetrack, ftrnoir or opentrack just by making the right settings in the curves.In these curves I can only look up 90 degrees, look left/right 90 degrees ect/The way it is now people can choose if they want more realistic or be able to move some more.For moving forward/backwards this can be done the same way.

philstyle
Aug-03-2016, 07:07
This is something which can be easily done if you are using Freetrack, ftrnoir or opentrack just by making the right settings in the curves.In these curves I can only look up 90 degrees, look left/right 90 degrees ect/The way it is now people can choose if they want more realistic or be able to move some more.For moving forward/backwards this can be done the same way.

Thanks.. but it is hardly the point that I would make things more realistic for myself, whilst letting everyone else benefit from the existing situation.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Aug-03-2016, 16:49
Hey Phil, Buzz posted in this thread, should give you some info.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22961

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Aug-04-2016, 20:40
Thanks.. but it is hardly the point that I would make things more realistic for myself, whilst letting everyone else benefit from the existing situation.

I like how it is. I open up my field of view all the way then position my head back and reset. Now my head is where it's supposed to be and my field of view is good.

Screwing with it forcing me to zoom in and out all the time will be annoying.

I also don't have peripheral view on a monitor. I understand a harness should be more restrictive but as a compromise I like how it is now. Even with VR it's still not like my own eyes in real life.

I don't know how to make it better than it is without buggering my field of view.

Edit//

I did have a thought. If while I opened my field of view it brought my head forward at the same time so I am close to the gunsight I would be happy. If in addition to this you limited my ability to turn my head a complete 180 I would also be fine.

I do it more so I can aim without zooming with my face close to the gunsight like it should be. I fly low a lot. Facing backwards seems like a way of upping my crash rate.

Falco
Aug-05-2016, 00:33

Looks about right!

Kling
Aug-05-2016, 05:25

Looks about right!

Sure but that is what the camera sees from a fixed position on the instrument panel facing backwards. It is hardly what the pilots sees. ;)

philstyle
Aug-05-2016, 05:29
Sure but that is what the camera sees from a fixed position on the instrument panel facing backwards. It is hardly what the pilots sees. ;)

That's also what I thought.. we don't know what the pilots view is .. it could be 75% seat for all we know...

ATAG_Flare
Aug-05-2016, 21:01
Uh, guys, this camera is facing forwards. The pilot is looking to the back, or at least trying to. I'd say he might be able to see 45° back, maybe see right backward in peripheral vision.

Kling
Aug-05-2016, 22:27
Uh, guys, this camera is facing forwards. The pilot is looking to the back, or at least trying to. I'd say he might be able to see 45° back, maybe see right backward in peripheral vision.

Haha you are right!! My mistake!! That what I get for not looking at the photo properly! :/