PDA

View Full Version : Sound cues - how important?

ATAG_Ezzie
Aug-07-2016, 06:51
Just flew a mission and about halfway to England I fat fingered my canopy in the -110 and it opened. Once opened the only way to close the top part is to land (as far as I know). Rather than do that I decided to continue and to get rid of the annoying noise I turned the sound to 0 on the volume mixer.

'She'll Be right' I thought, I've got the dials to look at and it should be fine. Well it wasn't and I found it very disconcerting not to have the noise cues - mainly the engine noise and air rush noise when going faster - and found I couldn't do what I normally do. I almost exceeded Vne a couple of times in dives without realising when I was diving on enemy and managing rpms was hard without the rpm sound. The extra concentration required made me screw up a couple of potential attacks.

I found it off putting so much so I landed. If you had asked me beforehand about how important the sound cues are I would have been indifferent. But not now.

Give it to (ie try flying an online combat sortie) with no noise and see what you think. Maybe it's just me ..?

Ezzie

BOO
Aug-07-2016, 07:33
Cruicial for me.

Sadly for whateer reason i ne er hear hits on my wings. In the heat of a dogfight at low le el this can be catastrophic as the aircraft will snap roll into the ground when pulling tight due to the damage. Couldnt do without sound - just wish i could turn the wind down but then it wouldnt be realistic i guess.

BTW - in dcs just sitting and the deck with the door open on the huey the "breeze" sound effect is so effectti e i can almost feel the pressure and the wind on my face. Thats the thing with sound, subliminal cues.

Regards

BOO

ATAG_Flare
Aug-07-2016, 09:49
Cruicial for me.

Sadly for whateer reason i ne er hear hits on my wings. In the heat of a dogfight at low le el this can be catastrophic as the aircraft will snap roll into the ground when pulling tight due to the damage. Couldnt do without sound - just wish i could turn the wind down but then it wouldnt be realistic i guess.

BTW - in dcs just sitting and the deck with the door open on the huey the "breeze" sound effect is so effectti e i can almost feel the pressure and the wind on my face. Thats the thing with sound, subliminal cues.

Regards

BOO

There is actually a bug I believe with 20mm and 40mm shells not making any noise when you're hit with them, only machinegun fire makes noise. Tip for 109 pilots - only use cannons! We'll never see ya!

farley
Aug-07-2016, 10:02
Good point Ezzie. Just last night I was reading and the pilot stated how when he started up his P38 he would listen and also feel the plane "through the seat of my pants" to be sure it was running well. We do it whenever we drive our cars, so how much more important for a pilot. Also, for the first tie in ages i fired up IL2 1946 and was flying the Lightning the other night, and for some reason i had no sound (screwed something up when trying to update HSFX i think), and it just wasn't much fun. The sounds we hear do give us a lot of needed info.

It's true in pretty well every aspect of our lives; I know if it's the evening and i don't hear my son carrying on to his friends about the Dota game they are playing online, well i worry he's up to no good!

Now if only i could get rid of my tinnitus and stop hearing the high pitched whining i would be more than grateful....

Is that what it is Flare? It is surprising when i look over at my wing and there's a large hole in it and i don't hear any big bang to go along with it.