PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Anniversary Update News

Baffin
Aug-15-2016, 15:38
There are some differing opinions about whether or not to install the Windows 10 Anniversary update. If you have some experience with it, you may post it here for others to see. Here is my report...

1. On one of my machines, I was offered the update by MS during the course of automatic updates . However, I had to search for it on another PC as well as on my laptop. Bing search for "Windows 10 anniversary update" took me to the MS site set up for this.

2. All three of my updates downloaded and installed smoothly although I had to remove some files from my gaming PC's SSD to make room for the update files. Time for a bigger SSD, Mrs. Baffin!

3. When I ran CLoD for the first time, I had to "Set" some of my controllers in the game menu due to USB reassignments. I have "Joystick 1" and "Joystick 2" because of my peculiar configuration, but reassigning the controls in the game was simple to do. Tedious, but simple.

4. Generally, the OS runs faster, especially during shutdown, but in my opinion, overall performance is noticeably improved.

5. I can use the newest Nvidia drivers now without "Launcher" crashes.

6. I have no trouble running Windows Media (WMA) sound files in Windows Media Player. An earlier report had WMA's not working but mine work fine.

I give it a :thumbsup: :goodluck:

Stab I./JG 51 - Osterkamp
Oct-06-2016, 07:13
I have installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 1607) and I have experienced the following issues:

1. Significant framerate drop, freezes and lag in Cliffs of Dover
2. Deterioration of ingame graphics (with the same settings I used before the update)
3. Huge deterioration of contact spotting in Cliffs of Dover
4. Input lag of my mouse and joystick
5. Game crashes

I am working on improving my current performance by following advices from corresponding topics in Reddit and Steam to turn off DVR of Xboxapp (which is constantly recording and is by default set to ON). If I don't get the needed results I will roll back to previous build of OS and wait for better days since most of the issues occured on users that have NVIDIA GPUs. I think the period for reconsidering and rolback is 10-days or so.

For refference my specs are: Intel Core i5-6600k clocked to 4.2ghz, Nvidia Gforce GTX960 OC 4GB, 8gb RAM;
(I don't dare to think what will happen if I start Star Citizen...probably huge explosion and CNN reporters everywhere :D )

Baffin
Oct-06-2016, 10:22
Thanks, Osterkamp.

For graphics stability, I've reverted to GTX driver download 365.19. (The last one without specific GTX1080 support)

I have none of Osterkamp's problems which underscores the need to evaluate your specific setup when making this update.

My Windows 10AU continues to work very well with all the current updates. (38 seconds from BIOS Beep to the desktop!)

Mysticpuma
Oct-06-2016, 13:56
I am currently buying high end bits for a new build PC. I'm going back to 7.

Bonditaria
Oct-06-2016, 21:18
My win 10 64 home 1511 updated itself quietly last week to 1607, and very quickly got into a fight with an older driver for one of my usb peripherals and hung up. Then the pc would not restart properly, and I had to 'Reset Windows', and reinstall everything.

After the reset this pc is running well.

Now using nvidia 372.90, CloD runs smoother faster and prettier than ever.

I use these options in game: SSAO on, anti-epilepsy filter off, vsync off, and all graphics options maxed, (antialiasing setting is not important as antialiasing is done on the gpu.)

Nvidia settings:

Anisotropic filtering : 16x
Antialiasing - FXAA : On
Antialiasing - Gamma correction : On
Antialiasing - mode : overide any application setting
Antialiasing - setting : 8x
Antialiasing - transparency : 8x (supersample)
Maximum pre-rendered frames : 4
Multi-Frame Sampled AA : Off
Multi-display : Single
Power management mode : prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering -Anistotropic sample optimisation : Off
Texture filtering -negative LOD bias : Clamp
Texture filtering -Quality : High Quality
Texture filtering -Trilinier optimisation : Off
Triple buffering : Off
Vertical sync : Fast

This gives me great image quality and frame rates without any compromise in contact spotting.

=FI=Murph
Oct-07-2016, 01:08
I tried your settings, they work well with my GTX1060. One caveat; you do need to have the AA turned on in game, even if you are using the "override game settings" in NVCP. Otherwise my AA didn't work.

Baffin
Oct-07-2016, 10:28
My win 10 64 home 1511 updated itself quietly last week to 1607, and very quickly got into a fight with an older driver for one of my usb peripherals and hung up. Then the pc would not restart properly, and I had to 'Reset Windows', and reinstall everything.

After the reset this pc is running well.

Now using nvidia 372.90, CloD runs smoother faster and prettier than ever.

I use these options in game: SSAO on, anti-epilepsy filter off, vsync off, and all graphics options maxed, (antialiasing setting is not important as antialiasing is done on the gpu.)

Nvidia settings:

Anisotropic filtering : 16x
Antialiasing - FXAA : On
Antialiasing - Gamma correction : On
Antialiasing - mode : overide any application setting
Antialiasing - setting : 8x
Antialiasing - transparency : 8x (supersample)
Maximum pre-rendered frames : 4
Multi-Frame Sampled AA : Off
Multi-display : Single
Power management mode : prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering -Anistotropic sample optimisation : Off
Texture filtering -negative LOD bias : Clamp
Texture filtering -Quality : High Quality
Texture filtering -Trilinier optimisation : Off
Triple buffering : Off
Vertical sync : Fast

This gives me great image quality and frame rates without any compromise in contact spotting.

Thanks very much for your comprehensive list of settings! I'm going to try the new 373.06 driver download since you show so much satisfaction with the new drivers... I can always revert if it blows up!

Are you using the "Nvidia Profile Inspector", or the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings feature to set your graphics up?

According to the release notes, "negative LOD bias : Clamp", is not supported by the 370 drivers.

What monitor size and resolution do you use? What type cable/interface?

maelstrom
Oct-07-2016, 13:08
First post on what looks like a friendly, helpful forum.

I downloaded and installed the Anniversary Update as a file from MS rather than waiting for it to arrive in the automatic updates. It was not too long after installing Windows 10 on my new build so not a lot of old files and drivers to contend with. It's running nicely with no obvious problems though I'm sticking with the 368.81 NVIDIA drivers as they seem to be working well for me at the moment. Framerates seem good in Cliffs of Dover but I'll apply Bonditaria's suggestions to try to get the best out of my GPU (GTX 970). I'm convinced that most of the serious problems people have with Windows 10 and its updates come from upgrading from and earlier version of the OS - you can't beat a clean install!

I used to be a die-hard Windows 7 fan but now I'm used to Windows 10 I wouldn't go back. Like any new OS, it took me a few weeks to find my way around it but it just seems much snappier overall. I preferred the Windows 7 update system but I opted out of the driver updates in Windows 10 which I'm hoping will make things less problematic.

To Mysticpuma, if your opinions of Windows 10 were based on an upgrade from Windows 7, I would definitely give a clean install of Windows 10 a go on your new build. New components are much more likely to be Windows 10 friendly than your existing system. You've got nothing to lose as you can just reformat and install Windows 7 if you don't like it. I haven't had any problems with any games so far (mostly flight/space sims and driving sims).

Baffin
Oct-07-2016, 13:40
Quick report on the new 373.06 Nvidia GTX driver package:

Download and install was routine. I chose to "Clean Install" only the drivers and PhysX since I don't use any of the other features.

Nvidia Profile Inspector does have "IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover" on the list of profiles. No need to rely any more on "Launcher.exe" which is shared by so many other applications.

Remember to reset SLI (if you have 2 GPU's) in the NCP.

Remember to reset default sound devices if you install the Nvidia sound drivers.

I played an hour of "Hellfire Corner" with no problems. It seemed smoother, but that's a pretty compatible map as compared to, say, "Relinquish".

My customary "Launcher Failure" at program exit did not happen. That's a pleasant surprise.

If I have any problems in the next week, I'll post them here, but for now, [fingers Crossed] :idiot:

20161008 edit: Game exit Launcher Fail has returned... no big deal since I'm obviously quitting at the time.

Baffin
Oct-07-2016, 13:52
I am currently buying high end bits for a new build PC. I'm going back to 7.

I'd give this decision a re-think... All future Nvidia and Microsoft improvements and troubleshooting will most likely be based on Windows 10. Windows Seven, for all it's present attractiveness will likely be abandoned sooner rather than later. Personally, I would take the new construction PC as an opportunity to do a rock-solid clean install of a retail copy of Windows 10 PRO. Mine works great!

in any case, :goodluck:

Mysticpuma
Oct-07-2016, 14:25
I think my irritation may be down to the fact that after installing the anniversary update on my PC I lost 3 Sata channels on my motherboard and two hard drives. Now that doesn't mean they are broken. dead or corrupt but it really, really pissed me off!

My new build well, I can probably go the Win 10 install to start off with as I am going to use an M.2 hard drive, 2x SSD and then add each of the Sata drives from my previous (well current at the moment) and see if I can recover the data that went missing.

I am actually looking forward to building a new gaming/editing machine, especially with the M.2 drive and water cooling for the first time :)

farley
Oct-07-2016, 16:19
I think my irritation may be down to the fact that after installing the anniversary update on my PC I lost 3 Sata channels on my motherboard and two hard drives. Now that doesn't mean they are broken. dead or corrupt but it really, really pissed me off!

My new build well, I can probably go the Win 10 install to start off with as I am going to use an M.2 hard drive, 2x SSD and then add each of the Sata drives from my previous (well current at the moment) and see if I can recover the data that went missing.

I am actually looking forward to building a new gaming/editing machine, especially with the M.2 drive and water cooling for the first time :)

MP, although i really don't know anything about computers, managed to do enough homework to put together a build I'm happy with, and it was a lot of fun. Doubt that i am using it to it's potential, but runs CloD well and my son is very happy with the FPS that he plays. Windows 10 seem s to be working well for me. Good luck with all of it, and enjoy the experience.:thumbsup:

Bonditaria
Oct-08-2016, 10:46
Thanks very much for your comprehensive list of settings! I'm going to try the new 373.06 driver download since you show so much satisfaction with the new drivers... I can always revert if it blows up!

Are you using the "Nvidia Profile Inspector", or the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings feature to set your graphics up?

According to the release notes, "negative LOD bias : Clamp", is not supported by the 370 drivers.

What monitor size and resolution do you use? What type cable/interface?

Hi Baffin, I use the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings, with updated drivers 373.06 and the same settings, CloD looks very good. Eizo CS240 (http://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cs240/) 24.1" monitor at 1920/1200, with an HDMI cable.

Baffin
Oct-08-2016, 17:49
Hi Baffin, I use the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings, with updated drivers 373.06 and the same settings, CloD looks very good. Eizo CS240 (http://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cs240/) 24.1" monitor at 1920/1200, with an HDMI cable.

Terrific! Thanks for the reply... 373.06 driver is doing OK on my rig which also uses the HDMI interface. The complaints on the Nvidia forums seem to be dropping off with the exception of a few very specific game failures that I don't use anyway. :salute:

Baffin
Oct-08-2016, 18:01

We're all waiting to hear how the M.2 PCI SSD works out!

Water cooling never paid great dividends for me when I used it two PC's ago. It was very good for pushing processors for benchmarking, but it didn't really make enough of an improvement in Flight Simming to justify the expense. I also got sick of servicing the coolant level... Where does that stuff go?

I went with water cooling originally to cut down the noise from the fans in the CPU/GPU coolers. Next thing I did was install 5.1 surround with a powered subwoofer and couldn't hear any fans anyway! I also can't hear Mrs. Baffin screaming "Turn that thing down!" (There's always an upside!) :lala:

HAF-X cases have a nice feature that allows plugging in a couple of SATA drives from the outside front with no cables! Change drives without opening the case! I love it for clones, backups, etc. and used it to store the old data, like you suggested. I am slowly recovering data from my last build so it's always available. The drives fit right into optical drive bays with a special receptacle in the back. No tools required...highly recommended! :thumbsup:

maelstrom
Oct-09-2016, 08:04
We're all waiting to hear how the M.2 PCI SSD works out!

Water cooling never paid great dividends for me when I used it two PC's ago. It was very good for pushing processors for benchmarking, but it didn't really make enough of an improvement in Flight Simming to justify the expense. I also got sick of servicing the coolant level... Where does that stuff go?

I went with water cooling originally to cut down the noise from the fans in the CPU/GPU coolers. Next thing I did was install 5.1 surround with a powered subwoofer and couldn't hear any fans anyway! I also can't hear Mrs. Baffin screaming "Turn that thing down!" (There's always an upside!) :lala:

HAF-X cases have a nice feature that allows plugging in a couple of SATA drives from the outside front with no cables! Change drives without opening the case! I love it for clones, backups, etc. and used it to store the old data, like you suggested. I am slowly recovering data from my last build so it's always available. The drives fit right into optical drive bays with a special receptacle in the back. No tools required...highly recommended! :thumbsup:

I've got a Corsair H110i GT all-in-one cooler in my new build and couldn't be happier. Almost inaudible with the quiet profile, nothing to top up and very low temperatures, even at idle. I can also highly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case for any new builds - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc. The review's 2 years old but the case is a real bargain and stands up well against recent, much more expensive models.

ATAG_Highseas
Oct-12-2016, 08:49
My experience of windows 10 was excellent right up until I clicked the reinstall button.... And it removed itself completely... As in master boot record not found.

Rather glad I had my 7 disc still. Everything working. And now sticking with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy.

Shame. I actually liked 10. It was fast. Powerful.... And fairly initiative. That said I now feel like I have control of my system again.

Anniversary update..... Well.... I went backwards! No major regrets.

Mysticpuma
Oct-12-2016, 13:53
Well the parts are steadily arriving. I honestly sat and considered the M2 drive but it's baffling the amount of information regarding bandwidth restrictions if used on a PCI channel....so in the end I went for the simplest option of 2x Samsung Ego 850 500GB. I think they will be fine for my needs. One for OS the other for software and other bits.

Regarding water cooling. I also considered the options but have ultimately gone with the Noctua nh-d15 air cooler just for fear of a leak, no other reason.....oh and it's super quiet and cools better than water (mostly) even under load :)

Finally just waiting for the Corsair 3200 DDR4 to arrive and I can start the build :)

Oh, finally, I got fed up with squeezing and cramming stuff into my Midi case....so I bought this one :)

https://youtu.be/g5JSKCSoMxI

Plenty of room to move :)

Oh and finally, going back to Windows 7. Just don't feel the love for Windows 10 and barely anything uses DX12 so maybe when SP2 comes out for Win 10 I may come back....but not at the moment.

Cheers, MP

IIJG27Rich
Oct-12-2016, 14:36
I love win 7