PDA

View Full Version : Sight Seeing III - The Exploration

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-10-2016, 20:02
Gentlemen:

David Livingstone

Henry Morton Stanley

Clarkson Hammond and May

Well it's time for that crowd to step aside....

I give you

SIGHT SEEING III - The Exploration

We shall search for the very source... of

The RIVER THAMES.

Don your pith helmets and climb aboard your Tiger Moths !!

(yes... Moths !!)

Now obviously this isn't going to be just some "oh I think it's in Henley"

"actually I looked it up and it's in Gloucestershire" type afair

NO~!!

This is the real deal...

So.. starts at Eastchurch...

with much crazyness around tower bridge (naturally)

then up the Thames, past Marlows house...

eventually i guess there will be a few squads heading out along various tributaries (probably getting it wrong) and then the inevitable claims and counter claims about where the Thames started (in 1941... )

then back to the Mall for the traditional 27 million gun salute into the walls of Buck Pal.

obviously I need to flesh it out a bit...

but

It will be on

MONDAY 26 SEPTEMBER at 21:00 BST

and it will be rediculous

heheh !

EDIT: 12 Sept 2016

ATAG_Yotheguy is doing a formation display at the end by the way...

either with his team... or...

with the crew from Sight Seeing II

ha!...

EDIT II

Flare mentioned last night that tiger moths are pretty limited on fuel... and that Blennies might be a better option for a long range exploration mission...

(I know... he's soooooo blenny obsessed !! Blen him... I mean bless... )

Anyway...

I listened to his sage advice... he's obvioulsy right, and on reflection I recon...

Moths !!

It's perfect !! ... trace the source until you have to land in the jungle after fuel is out... and hope that Marlow's old tribe don't scoff you on sight !

Now THAT is exploration... !

then once all in the undergrowth we can all argue about who found the Source

SPOILER ALERT: It was probably me !

Then go get some spits and attack Buck Pal for old times sake !

ATAG_Pattle
Sep-10-2016, 21:36
That puts me in the seat at about 5 or 6 in the morning. Will do my best.

What is the estimated flight time 'Seas?

Pattle

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-10-2016, 21:44
What is the estimated flight time 'Seas?

You think I know where the source of the Thames is ?!

This could take years man !!!

I'd guess about 2 hours...

before it's just me arsing about on my own ! hahha!!!

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-11-2016, 02:20
Great I'll be there. I do love these R&R 'jaunts'.

Let's hope all the 'Rag Tags' can attend and maybe as many of the other chaps from Sightseeing 1 and the Ford Fiesta.

Once ATAG_yotheguy sees us flying with such perfect grace and co-ordination he will sign us up there and then for his formation team. We could call ourselves the 'Rag Tag Arrows'?

~S~ :salute:

Artist
Sep-11-2016, 02:45
Count me in!

ATAG_Laser
Sep-11-2016, 05:41
Count me in too seas. I really enjoyed sight seeing 1, and I was gutted to miss the Ford fiesta. Better start getting used to flying a tiger moth again :thumbsup:

ATAG_Pattle
Sep-11-2016, 05:49
Years? In a moth I assume that will put us at central London, Marlow'sgrand manor estate at the very peripheral??

ATAG_Marlow
Sep-11-2016, 06:39
and it will be rediculous

heheh !

Sight Seeing III! Hey, hey, hey!

.......anything that's going to be ridiculous has got my name on it! I'll be there! Salute! :thumbsup:

DerDa
Sep-11-2016, 06:51
I'll be there!
Do I need any kind off vaccinations or special equipment for that wild and unexplored region?

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-11-2016, 08:02
I'll be there!
Do I need any kind off vaccinations or special equipment for that wild and unexplored region?

Well near the sea it's fairly safe... but when you get further in land it can get abit hairy...

Fortunately Marlow was raised right there in the interior... and he speaks the lingo...

All the same... I would recomend some plus fours, a stout cane and a hip flask... just to be safe.

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-11-2016, 10:47
"All the same... I would recomend some plus fours, a stout cane and a hip flask... just to be safe".

In addition I would recommend we all carry a bottle of 'Doctori dix's Medicinal Rubbing Balm & Gargle' in case anyone is bitten by a native.......or Marlow for that matter.

I can't wait it will be like 'It ain't half hot Mum' with wings.

ATAG_Laser
Sep-11-2016, 11:53
And don't forget to pack plenty of bottles of Spitfire ale to see us through the expedition, right seas? :thumbsup:

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-11-2016, 12:16
An excellent film about the birth of the Spitfire 'First of the Few' with Leslie Howard and David Niven. It tells the storey of how Reginald Mitchell came to design the Spitfire.

Wrong thread! But still a good film!!!

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-12-2016, 13:08
I'm adding updates to the orginal thread as i go along with the... ahem... "planning"

should be a giggle this...

hehe!

:salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-21-2016, 04:38
Not long Now chaps !

The plan remains....

Server 2 (fingers crossed !) Failing that Server 1 and just hope for the best !!!

Hornchurch... Moths...

Now as far as I know the moths don't have any markings so the only way to ID each other will be by erratic flying, wing waggling and barrel rolls...

Classy like.

up to Tower Bridge to play "stuff the moth..."

Hopefully YoTheGuy and Dix will be with us... in which case maybe they can direct a "coordinated" loop the loop through the bridge !... No idea if the moth is capable of that... and have no intention of trying it before hand either... hahah !

Then a jolly cruise up the Thames as far as we get before the fuel (or map) runs out, ditch the planes and claim we found the source of the Thames. I'm 100% certain I will find it... and am confident you all will too (though our accounts may differ).

I've not flown this route yet so can't really give much of a running commentry... but there is a town called Marlow on route... which Marlow knows all about... and i happen to know there is a beautiful bridge there in real life as i have relatives nearby... kinda looks like a mini tower bridge... no idea if it's in game...

Then (depending on the time) back to Hornchurch, grab some planes with guns on.... land on the Mall and do the tribute to Maam by blowing the render off Buck Pal....

I'll grant you it's a pretty loose plan but hey.... !!

So far we have:

DerDa
Artsit
Vampire
Laserlight
Marlow
Highseas

Pattle has a hole in his rig so he's had to pull out

ATAG_Pattle
Sep-21-2016, 05:08
And it is a rather sad Pattle as well...

All the best guys. I've not know anyone that has reached the end of the map, so interested to see what happens - maybe you come out in France. That would be hilarious! Would be like an episode of The Wacky Races trying to avoid a blue pilot or 20!

:salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-21-2016, 05:20
I've not know anyone that has reached the end of the map, so interested to see what happens - maybe you come out in France.

I did it with Vamps a while back... took a trip down to Swanage

The "world" actually continues a little way past the edge of the map..., the whole of Poole Harbour is there for example where as the map sort of cuts right through the middle of it... maybe 5-10 miles more I would guess... and then it starts rendering standard fields... and then after a bit of that it starts rendering nonsence.... but you can still carry on flying....

turning around (from memory) it took the same time to get back past all that rendered junk to the "real" world.... so i guess it does recognise your corrdinates accurately... just doesnt have anything to render....

Either way... I got the feeling that "there be dragons"

If we run inot that on our jaunt I suggest we turn around !! I don't want to run out of fuel and have to land in a kalidescope !!

LuseKofte
Sep-21-2016, 05:47
IAm I too late joining this? I am at home at that date so I would be happy joining in, I will spend some time in that particular kite just to make sure I can take off in it, the landing part is not that important, I can bail out when finished

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-21-2016, 06:07
IAm I too late joining this? I am at home at that date so I would be happy joining in, I will spend some time in that particular kite just to make sure I can take off in it, the landing part is not that important, I can bail out when finished

Never too late (at least until its over) !!

More the merrier !

It's a doddle to fly... (as far as i recall)... !! I may have to have a go in one before Monday mind !!

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-21-2016, 08:04
You are right about markings on the Tiger Moth Seas. No code letters but I have put 'Vamps' on mine instead of a serial number. Works quite well.

You will have to get close to read what is on the aircraft nearby but hey....at that speed (100 mph straight and level) it shouldn't be too difficult.

Looking forward to this. We can 'buzz' the hollihocks in Marlows garden. Hehe! :devilish:

ATAG_Flare
Sep-21-2016, 23:55
You sure you don't want to take Blennies? :recon:

Sadly I won't be coming as it's right during school for me.

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-22-2016, 03:08
You sure you don't want to take Blennies? :recon:

Sadly I won't be coming as it's right during school for me.

No probs buddy. That's probably more important than finding the very source of the Thames......

ATAG_Marlow
Sep-22-2016, 07:04
Looking forward to this. We can 'buzz' the hollihocks in Marlows garden. Hehe! :devilish:

~S~ :salute:[/QUOTE]

.....Hands off my Hollihocks! I'll have you know Mrs Marlow's going shopping this afternoon...for a couple of flakcanon! 88's! They're going up next to the carp pond this weekend and I'm taking the chambermaids and kitchen maids on a special training exercise tomorrow! :devilish: Gonna work those girls hard, I can tell you! Apparently, the kitchen maid with the dirty apron is a deadly shot! Vamps: you have been warned!!!!!! LOL! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-22-2016, 10:33
No probs buddy. That's probably more important than finding the very source of the Thames......

Unless you are in Geography class... in which case chalk it up as a field trip and tell them the dog ate your homework....

It's a classic cast iron alibi that can never... NEVER fail...

:ilike:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-22-2016, 10:44
.....Hands off my Hollihocks! I'll have you know Mrs Marlow's going shopping this afternoon...for a couple of flakcanon! 88's!

She might not need them...

I met up with Vamps and Laser last night... they were doing Navigation lessons....

so I went up in a Moth to se if i could find them.... and at that point YoTheGuy popped in too...

basically it ended up as a four Moth fake dog fight (no guns on the moth) / hanger runs / gerenarl arseing about.... right up until Yo got a hurricane and blew my wings off.

The moth is a funny bird... barrel rolling is extreamly hard to pull off... rudder is essential (i mean it always is but with the moth it's essential to get any kind of roll rate out of the thing) ...

All in all ... a few minutes figuring out its limitations and its a real blast !!

Aerobatics around Tower Bridge is going to be brilliant fun as the opener... !...

I fully expect to be on my fourth plane by the time we leave there and set out on the actual exploration !!

hehehe !

Gonna be a giggle this !

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-22-2016, 11:05
It's a good job you are not flying on the Storm of War server Seas, you would have exhausted the entire Fighter Command supply of planes by now!

Still as 'Rag Tags' we will not be put off by that sort of thing and shall plough on regardless. ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

After the little impromptu Airshow yesterday ATAG_yotheguy is no doubt slotting us into the team of precision pilots he is putting together for his aerobatic team. haha!

As for Mrs Marlow and big Hilda 'shoving one up the spout' on a Flak88, the mind doth boggle Marlow.

This little jaunt is going to be awesome. :thumbsup:

dix
Sep-23-2016, 17:40
well...

mentioning clarkson hammond and may feels like it's not the best way to start an expedition of any sort, is it.. :laugh:

is it gonna end like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl15Z3tPhu0 :laugh:

dix
Sep-25-2016, 07:41
Since i haven't been able to see atag servers for a while now, and hopefully i won't come back too late from the theatre on monday (top gun wooohooo :popcorn2::party:)
can someone write down the ip address for the bomber server?

i've one but it doesn't work now, i guess it's a dynamic one, so if anybody could just paste it here tomorrow, it would be really appreciated :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-26-2016, 07:13
Since i haven't been able to see atag servers for a while now, and hopefully i won't come back too late from the theatre on monday (top gun wooohooo :popcorn2::party:)
can someone write down the ip address for the bomber server?

i've one but it doesn't work now, i guess it's a dynamic one, so if anybody could just paste it here tomorrow, it would be really appreciated :thumbsup:

64.74.97.179:27016

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-26-2016, 07:14
Sorry I've been a tad quiet.

Its still on...

see you there

DerDa
Sep-27-2016, 02:57
We did it!

Well, most ... hmm ... some of us.
Thank you very much for organising. I hope the next one will come up soon.

Cheers

DerDa

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-27-2016, 03:40
Hi DerDa

Very pleased that you and Artist could be with us last night. It was great fun, particularly flying the Tiger Moths.

dix had used his skinning skills and he, laser and I had individual and distinctive skins. Thank you dix. Also thanks Artist for the music it makes all the difference.

Yes some of us found the source of the Thames and it was a pity both Artist and dix had to leave us before then. Better luck on the next one guys.

Thanks to Highseas for organising it and for the original idea. Cheers buddy. :cheers:

I hope, like you DerDa, that we can do anther one soon. I think somewhere in and around France is a distinct possibility, perhaps in G50s (good visibility). Sightseeing IV 'Le Dirty Weekend'!!!

Lastly thanks to ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Marlow, laserlight,54sqn_dix, FG28_Artist and FG_28 DerDa for making it a fun 'Rag Tag' night. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-27-2016, 05:56
We did it!

Well, most ... hmm ... some of us.
Thank you very much for organising. I hope the next one will come up soon.

Cheers

DerDa

Hahahaha !!

We did indeed !

We should all get medals !

Landing at Buckingham palace and then taking off down the mall was perhaps ill advised !... but hey !! it sure was fun !!

Pity about your wings Artist !! but damn fine show carrying on regardless !! Now THAT is true Explorer grit and determination !!!

I totally forgot to set record !! DAMN!!

ATAG_Pattle
Sep-27-2016, 08:17
Onya guys.

Bugger about the timezone and work issue down here (Straylya).

Issue being I had to go to work!

Any of you guys take any screenshots you can post? Keen to see some of the skins. :-)

Pattle :thumbsup:

ATAG_Marlow
Sep-27-2016, 09:18
Hi All...just wanted to join Derda and the rest of the guys in thanking 'Seas for dreaming up and organising another really fun event last night. We succeeded in finding a landing at The Source of the Thames!

It was seriously useful in that it helped all of us get to grips with our map reading skills again. Great fun! Thanks and well done, Seas! Salute!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Laser
Sep-27-2016, 15:49
I would just like to add my thanks to Highseas for organising this latest sightseeing tour, and to everyone else that took part for making it another memorable evening:thumbsup: Well done to those of you that actually managed to find the source of the Thames.:bravo: Unfortunately I didn't make it, so near, but yet so far, just kind of followed the wrong tributary right at the end, but at least I managed to land safe and sound in a field before I ran out of fuel, AND I managed to get through Tower bridge unscathed this time around, unlike on the first sightseeing tour.

Vamps, the colour scheme on my moth was not a skin. It was there in the options for the plane. You can choose from many colours, red, blue, green, yellow and many more.

Pat, we missed you, but yeah, that time difference is a problem isn't it. Unfortunately, despite having taken a few in game screenshots of late, I forgot to do so last night, although I hardly got close enough to the others to get a good shot. Most of the time they were just sillouettes in the distance, although it might have been good to take a snap of myself going under the bridge. Perhaps I will have to do a little rerun of that:-)

So, back to the task of fighting the virtual war, but hey, I am already looking forward to Sightseeing IV if and when it happens :salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-28-2016, 05:06
I am already looking forward to Sightseeing IV if and when it happens :salute:

If ??

Come now... what sort of talk is this ?

;)

LuseKofte
Sep-28-2016, 11:45
The damnedest thing :ind:

I forgot this , I remembered it 2 hours before, and then pfiissss I remembered it now :cussing:

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-28-2016, 11:48
The damnedest thing :ind:

I forgot this , I remembered it 2 hours before, and then pfiissss I remembered it now :cussing:

Haha !!!

not to worry....

There will no doubt be more to come !

ATAG_Vampire
Sep-28-2016, 11:52
It WILL happen laser because we are the 'Rag Tags'. We make things happen mate!

The next one should be France so we can get more of a look at the terrain etc.

If we do it in G50s the visibility out of the aircraft is good and they are nippy so Seas will be alright 'puppying' in one. Haha!

Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

ATAG_Laser
Sep-28-2016, 12:02
Sounds good to me Vamps. :thumbsup: God knows I need the navigation practice, especially over the French side of the map, and it will be good to try flying a G50, although you have a distinct advantage over us. You have already been on the G50 conversion course :D

ATAG_Highseas
Sep-28-2016, 13:25
The next one should be France so we can get more of a look at the terrain etc.

Flare was talking about doing that.... he speaks the lingo and everything tho innit blud...

My french geography... and my... "uh-hu-hu-hu" outRAGEOUS Fronch âccéntê just don't cut the Dijon

Let's badger him until he skips school and takes us on a field trip instead....

Artist
Oct-09-2016, 06:51
Better late then never, here are the pictures from my landing on Trafalgar Square, lost a quarter of a wing, but this being just a 16th, kept on flying - slow...

ATAG_Vampire
Oct-10-2016, 13:49
Thanks for posting the screenshots Artist. It looks as though you did well to get it back on the ground.

Marlow and I managed to land as near to the source of the river as was possible. This turned out to be on the side of a hill. When I tried to move downhill, nearer to Marlow, my TM took his left wing off and I ended up careening down the hill (no brakes!) with no wings and no tail unit.

Just like the boxcar derby!!! Pity I didn't take a screenshot. :thumbsup:

Artist
Oct-10-2016, 14:20
Must have been a nice sight for bystanders....

ATAG_Highseas
Oct-10-2016, 15:41
Better late then never, here are the pictures from my landing on Trafalgar Square, lost a quarter of a wing, but this being just a 16th, kept on flying - slow...

That's quite impressive !!!

haha...

Oh... by the way... Sight Seeing IV is in the pipe line..... hehehe !!

November most likely !

DerDa
Oct-11-2016, 01:45
Oh... by the way... Sight Seeing IV is in the pipe line..... hehehe !!

Yabbad Dabba Doo!

And I promise not to try a roll just after passing through Tower Bridge.