PDA

View Full Version : New Mission: Kanalkampf

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Oct-27-2012, 11:00
"The battle of France is over...the battle of Britain is about to begin."

After many hours in the FMB I'm finally able to reveal to the community the details of my soon to be released mission. It is titled Kanalkampf and is loosely based on the actions of July 11, 1940. It will use the western portion of the English Channel map with the goal of centralizing the action between the Isle of Wight and Le Havre. There is a large British convoy steaming through the Channel that German bombers aim to destroy. Like the RAF of 1940 red fighters will have to CAP the convoy while blue fighters attempt to clear a path for the bombers. Radar was not able to give sufficient warning of incoming raids on the convoys moving through the Channel so the RAF was forced to fly standing patrols which were vulnerable to being bounced. The convoy battles throughout July 1940 were to prove a constant drain on Fighter Command as pilots that were shot down or bailed out were often never heard from again.

You will learn to respect and fear the Channel as you fly over water with no land in sight at times. Flight times from Tangmere & Le Havre to the convoy are about 12 minutes, which is about the same as Dunkirk. Waves of German bombers will appear periodically to attack targets in the area. Failure to intercept these raids will result in destroyed ships and other objectives. Objectives for blue include the convoy, Portsmouth harbor, & the Chain Home station at RAF Ventnor.

While there will be no AI raids by RAF bomber command, volunteer Blenheim crews will be asked to perform daylight raids. Targets include minesweepers operating in the Channel, shipping in Cherbourg harbor, Bf 110 base at Theville, Bf 109 base at Carquebut, and coastal radar at Fecamp.

Hopefully, most people are excited about trying a different part of the map. I expect there will be plenty of action over the convoy and pilots should not worry about the flight times involved. However, with the increased damage to radiators & engines you might want to practice your water landings. I'll be working on the script over the next few days before submitting the mission to ATAG so if you have any ideas for the mission please let me know.

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-27-2012, 11:07
Nice ....:thumbsup:

Doc
Oct-27-2012, 12:26
I love it!! This would run right after the BoF I hope! Would be perfect!!

ATAG_Colander
Oct-27-2012, 12:47
I love it!! This would run right after the BoF I hope! Would be perfect!!

Only if blue wins BoF :)

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-27-2012, 13:23
This sounds awesome!:thumbsup:

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-27-2012, 13:41
:thumbsup:

Dutch
Oct-27-2012, 14:23
:)

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-27-2012, 15:56
This sounds really good! :thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-27-2012, 17:49
"The battle of France is over...the battle of Britain is about to begin."

After many hours in the FMB I'm finally able to reveal to the community the details of my soon to be released mission. It is titled Kanalkampf and is loosely based on the actions of July 11, 1940. It will use the western portion of the English Channel map with the goal of centralizing the action between the Isle of Wight and Le Havre. There is a large British convoy steaming through the Channel that German bombers aim to destroy. Like the RAF of 1940 red fighters will have to CAP the convoy while blue fighters attempt to clear a path for the bombers. Radar was not able to give sufficient warning of incoming raids on the convoys moving through the Channel so the RAF was forced to fly standing patrols which were vulnerable to being bounced. The convoy battles throughout July 1940 were to prove a constant drain on Fighter Command as pilots that were shot down or bailed out were often never heard from again.

You will learn to respect and fear the Channel as you fly over water with no land in sight at times. Flight times from Tangmere & Le Havre to the convoy are about 12 minutes, which is about the same as Dunkirk. Waves of German bombers will appear periodically to attack targets in the area. Failure to intercept these raids will result in destroyed ships and other objectives. Objectives for blue include the convoy, Portsmouth harbor, & the Chain Home station at RAF Ventnor.

While there will be no AI raids by RAF bomber command, volunteer Blenheim crews will be asked to perform daylight raids. Targets include minesweepers operating in the Channel, shipping in Cherbourg harbor, Bf 110 base at Theville, Bf 109 base at Carquebut, and coastal radar at Fecamp.

Hopefully, most people are excited about trying a different part of the map. I expect there will be plenty of action over the convoy and pilots should not worry about the flight times involved. However, with the increased damage to radiators & engines you might want to practice your water landings. I'll be working on the script over the next few days before submitting the mission to ATAG so if you have any ideas for the mission please let me know.

Salute

Looking forward to flying this.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to creating missions.

MadTommy
Oct-29-2012, 05:33
Excellent.. as i live 3 miles from Tangmere i look forward to this map!! Nice to be able to fly from my home base, literally.

Offtopic: Tangmere has a great air museum with an excellent BoB section.. http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
May-26-2013, 10:49
v1.0 of this mission is now in rotation on the Storm of War server. I hope those of you who fly there enjoy it.

Blue Briefing: http://sowc.forumotion.co.uk/t419-kanalkampf-blue-briefing
Red Briefing: http://sowc.forumotion.co.uk/t418-kanalkampf-red-briefing

Osprey
May-27-2013, 05:29
Very good. I've been missing that part of the map :) Tangmere is an excellent base to operate out of.

Roblex
May-27-2013, 17:42
Played it today and it was great to fly in a different part of the map. It is not that far from Tangmere to Cherbourg. I saw no warping with 12 bombers and 4 fighters attacking them plus ships firing ack.

A little disappointed to make a perfect landing next to a convoy ship and be reported as drowned a second later.