PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft engine sound too high to here buddies on Team Speak please help

Meaks
Oct-28-2012, 16:46
Guys,I have a small problem with the sound set up whilst playing COD and using TS3 to communicate with my Squadron buddies.

Basically the engine sound of my aircraft is drowning out the sound I'm getting through TS3,I can barely here my buddies communicating with me,sometimes I miss what's being said and when I don't answer this makes me look extremly rude.

If anyone can offer any help it would be really appreciated,thank you:salute:

71st_AH_Code_E
Oct-28-2012, 17:23
If you pull up the sound control in the windows taskbar, and then hit mixer, with CLoD running you can adjust it's level so that it doesn't drown out teamspeak.

Dutch
Oct-28-2012, 22:13
I use the volume control plug-in from the TS3 website. This automatically cuts the level of the game sound when either you or someone else is talking. I find it's essential.

Just download it, stick it in the plugins file, open TS3 and tick the box for the plug-in. Works a treat. :thumbsup:

Meaks
Oct-29-2012, 12:32
Thanks chaps,this is really helpful,love the sound of that volume control plug-in Dutch,I'll give them both a try,I really appreciate your time and help guys,thank you:thumbsup:

ATAG_Slipstream
Oct-29-2012, 13:40
I use the volume control plug-in from the TS3 website. This automatically cuts the level of the game sound when either you or someone else is talking. I find it's essential.

Just download it, stick it in the plugins file, open TS3 and tick the box for the plug-in. Works a treat. :thumbsup:

+1

:salute:

Muffin
Oct-30-2012, 06:35
Thanks chaps,this is really helpful,love the sound of that volume control plug-in Dutch,I'll give them both a try,I really appreciate your time and help guys,thank you:thumbsup:

You should also try the ww2 plugin for teamspeak made by colander himself, it adds a really nice effect :D

Meaks
Oct-30-2012, 08:59
You should also try the ww2 plugin for teamspeak made by colander himself, it adds a really nice effect :D

Thanks mate,I allready have it........it was the 1st plugin I added when I put TS3 on my system,and yes Colander's done a superb job with it:thumbsup:

Meaks
Oct-30-2012, 09:02

Hi Dutch what version are you using of this volume control plugin please,and what version of TS3 are you currently using it on,sorry to ask but the version I have is failing to work,which is annoying as I know this will solve my sound problems,thanks buddy.

I have downloaded versions API18 and API19,have put both into my TS3 plugin folder and they're both not coming up or being recognised when I open up the TS3 plugin options to tick the box to enable it to work.

Dutch
Oct-30-2012, 10:44
Wotcher Meaks,

I haven't updated TS since v 3.0.8.1 and have v 1.3 of the volume control. Mainly because each TS update causes issues with something or other so I've left it alone since July.

This probably doesn't help very much, but as long as they update the plugin to match your version of TS, you should be fine. :D

Meaks
Oct-30-2012, 10:52
Hello Dutch:thumbsup:,ok mate thanks for that,maybe I'm not putting it into the correct folder,at present I have put it with Colander's WWII plugin in the TS3 plugin folder,I'll investigate further,I can see this will improve things once I can get it working.

Dutch
Oct-30-2012, 11:00
at present I have put it with Colander's WWII plugin in the TS3 plugin folder.

I just checked, and yep that's where I have it too, so it's in the correct folder. As you say, it may be a version compatibility thing. It may be possible to roll back TS to a previous version if they've not updated the plugin as yet, but Colander would be more help than me here. I'm a software retard I'm afraid.....:(

ATAG_Colander
Oct-30-2012, 11:58
The same issue than with my plugin. Every new version of TS requires to re-compile the plugins as they change a little number that make's all the plugins "incompatible".

Is really annoying that because they change the version number, all the plugins have to be recompiled without any other change but the version number.

Meaks
Oct-31-2012, 07:57
Hi Colander,there's no problem with your plugin matey:thumbsup:,it works beautifully once updated,the volume control plugin however is a dam mystery.

I have dowloaded the latest edition of TS3 and also have installed the latest volume control version as per Teamspeak 3's instructions,on their help dept side of their website,they even uploaded the links for the two to use,but no dice,so I don't know.

Tonester
Feb-08-2013, 16:55
I can seperate my front and rear audio inputs/outputs so i run TS through headphones and the game through speakers...works great...the downside, being a deaf muso, i run the game pretty loud and the boss gets snarly sometimes....its worth it but

Meaks
Feb-12-2013, 03:56
Mate,there is a better way to solve this issue as I have found out

1.Whilst in game turn up the CoD audio sounds to max,this way you don't miss out on the nice 'ear' candy that's implemented.

2.Next,Alt + Tab out of the game,this gets you back to Windows,ok,now just go to your Windows control panel,select 'Hardware and Sound',then select 'Sound' and then 'Adjust system volume'from here you can then select to lower only the CoD sound volume,I set mine to about 15%.

3.Close this down and simply go back into CoD,thus maintaining the great atmospheric CoD sounds that are available,but now you'll be able to hear your chums on 'Teamspeak'etc much more clearer.

This has done wonders for my flying as months ago when I joined my Squadron,I could'nt hear what was being said to me,and so I could'nt respond to commands etc,worse still,I expect the guys just thought I was being damn rude!

ps I need to point out that you need to do this every time you play CoD,but it is worth it.

Anyway hope this helps:thumbsup:

III./ZG76_Keller
Feb-12-2013, 12:28
If you turn down "Volume" and "Voice" in your CloD menu to about 3/4 I find it evens the sound up with TS; you won't have to set this more than once.

ATAG_Septic
Feb-12-2013, 16:03
If you turn down "Volume" and "Voice" in your CloD menu to about 3/4 I find it evens the sound up with TS; you won't have to set this more than once.

I used to do this until I read somewhere that it reduces the number of samples or effects, starter-motors and such. I've never proved it to myself though.

Cheers,

Septic.

Roblex
Feb-12-2013, 16:33
I tried the Volume Control plug-in but only once. I hated the way that every time someone just coughed or sniffed I lost all my volume for 5 seconds. Even when people were genuinely talking I found it extremely annoying with the volume going up & down all the time and disabled it again as soon as I landed. I am a little confused about how others find it OK, especially when setting the engine sounds and TS3 sounds to balance nicely is so easy.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-13-2013, 08:43

My experience is that turning the in-game sliders down not only lowers the volumes, but it also progressively disables some sounds entirely.

Hence, my poreference (and that of many other players) to alt+tab back to windows and use the mixer.

Dutch
Jun-13-2013, 08:51
My experience is that turning the in-game sliders down not only lowers the volumes, but it also progressively disables some sounds entirely.

Hence, my poreference (and that of many other players) to alt+tab back to windows and use the mixer.

Old thread Phil. For some reason revived by what appears to be a spammer.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-13-2013, 09:35
Good catch, Dutch!

Roblex
Aug-11-2013, 05:58
Sorry to revive an old thread but it is relevant to my question.

Up until about a week ago I had no problem with sound levels because I had set the CLOD levels lower than the TS levels using the windows mixer and the levels never got reset when I restarted the game. Now I am the same as everyone else, i.e. each time I start CLOD the mixer resets the levels for CLOD up to max. I have not updated anything in Windows and not seen any sign of an automatic update. I have also not changed anything in CLOD. Anyone have any idea how I might stop the CLOD sound levels reverting to maximum every time I start the game?

Catseye
Aug-11-2013, 12:47
Sorry to revive an old thread but it is relevant to my question.

Up until about a week ago I had no problem with sound levels because I had set the CLOD levels lower than the TS levels using the windows mixer and the levels never got reset when I restarted the game. Now I am the same as everyone else, i.e. each time I start CLOD the mixer resets the levels for CLOD up to max. I have not updated anything in Windows and not seen any sign of an automatic update. I have also not changed anything in CLOD. Anyone have any idea how I might stop the CLOD sound levels reverting to maximum every time I start the game?

Hi Roblex:
It does the very same for me.
Would be nice if there was a way to have it not default to full.
Cats . . .

Roblex
Aug-11-2013, 12:57
Hi Roblex:
It does the very same for me.
Would be nice if there was a way to have it not default to full.
Cats . . .

But I *did* have that up until last week :D I just wish I knew why it stopped working that way.

ATAG_Knuckles
Aug-11-2013, 14:21
I have always had to re set the volume when the sim starts.

Black
Aug-11-2013, 17:30
Did you try setting the sound in the config manually?

You can change it in your "conf" in the document folder! I am pretty sure that the values for Musicvolume and Objectvolume are the once that need to be changed!

Catseye
Aug-11-2013, 18:22
Did you try setting the sound in the config manually?

You can change it in your "conf" in the document folder! I am pretty sure that the values for Musicvolume and Objectvolume are the once that need to be changed!

Those are the ones that need to be on full. If you don't have those turned up, you will miss some of the sounds.

He's referring to the sound settings in Windows.

Black
Aug-12-2013, 04:47
Well I got low values for them and I hear Spits like 800m behind me for example, any plane that flys past me an in formation flight I hear other engines as loud as my own. :S

I will give it a try with higher values and see if something changed!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-12-2013, 05:08
Well I got low values for them and I hear Spits like 800m behind me for example, any plane that flys past me an in formation flight I hear other engines as loud as my own. :S
I will give it a try with higher values and see if something changed!

~If the config.ini lines do the same thing as the audio sliders in the game's auidio options, then turning them to lower values will disable some sounds. For example, (from memory) the spitfire engine ignition sound gets turned off, and I think bullet strike sounds get turned off.

The only way to avoid losing these sounds entirely, is to do the following;

1. Keep the in-game effects to maximum
2. alt+tab back to windows, and using the windows audio mixer turn the game volume down.
3. re-enter the game

Unfortunately, for most/all of us, the windows audio mixer resets to maximum volume each time the game is played. So we have to alt+tab every single time.... here's a random thread I found on the net, where other people are complaining about this issue (for other games)
http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/230886-windows-7-sound-mixer-not-remembering-settings.html

Black
Aug-12-2013, 05:34
Very strange, I hear the sounds you mention and I got my ingame sound set to roughly 30% volume!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-12-2013, 05:55
Very strange, I hear the sounds you mention and I got my ingame sound set to roughly 30% volume!

well, well, well.... maybe it's a myth that we've been perpetuating!

I'm going to drop my in-game volume now... just to see what happens...

Black
Aug-12-2013, 05:57
I wanted to test convergence related stuff in singleplayer soon anyway, will crank my volume up all the way and see if anything changes and give feedback here!

SoW Reddog
Aug-12-2013, 08:25

Wierd, I never hear other aircraft unless my cockpit is open (I'm guessing you fly with yours open?) and the majority of the hits I take NEVER make a sound, despite having 100% volume in game, then turned down in mixer.

Black
Aug-12-2013, 08:46
Open sidewindow in the 109 in my case.

I just gave it a test, turning up the volume to max doesn't change anything for me, I went back to my 30% audio settings and I still hear aircraft engines around me, my plane getting hit, bullets impacting on other planes and everything else that I hear when I have the volume on max! For me it doesn't change what I hear, just how loud it is!

SoW Reddog
Aug-12-2013, 09:52
Ah right. I wonder if I'd hear the hits on other aircraft and my own if I had my spit cockpit open? Not that I really want to do that as it smacks too much of cheating to me but if I'm dying to people doing the same then I guess it kind of forces me to follow suit.

Black
Aug-12-2013, 10:51
Opening a sidewindow is not in the same league as opening the canopy but I agree with you, at the moment red pilots are almost forced to open it, that needs to change! From what I know you hear almost nothing of whats happening on the outside with a closed cockpit!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-12-2013, 10:59
The open/closed cockpit/ window debate has gone on for some time.

You will hear hits on enemies if you open the canopy, however, you will also lose some speed. I only open the canopy when I'm in the circuit, or on the runway.

In addition to the canopy, the 109 has a small window which the pilot can slide open. This allows the pilot to hear outside, without losing any speed from drag.

My personal opinion is that,

When either window OR canopy are open, the pilot should not be able to hear anything else except for his own engine, and the sound of the wind, unless it is another engine which is less than 50m away.

Only turning off the engine, and slowing down below about 100kph should allow him to hear things from outside.

Opening any cockpit part above 15,000ft should result in the onset of some kind of injury to the pilot, from the cold.

I doubt if the above can be programmed into the game though.

coolhand3011
Aug-12-2013, 17:57
The open/closed cockpit/ window debate has gone on for some time.

You will hear hits on enemies if you open the canopy, however, you will also lose some speed. I only open the canopy when I'm in the circuit, or on the runway.

In addition to the canopy, the 109 has a small window which the pilot can slide open. This allows the pilot to hear outside, without losing any speed from drag.

My personal opinion is that,

When either window OR canopy are open, the pilot should not be able to hear anything else except for his own engine, and the sound of the wind, unless it is another engine which is less than 50m away.

Only turning off the engine, and slowing down below about 100kph should allow him to hear things from outside.

Opening any cockpit part above 15,000ft should result in the onset of some kind of injury to the pilot, from the cold.

I doubt if the above can be programmed into the game though.

Definitely a plus one to the first two points, its not realistic at all.

kopperdrake
Aug-12-2013, 18:00
Philstyle - did you manage to try lowering the in-game volume level to see if you lose any detail in the sounds? I use the same routine as yourself at the moment - alt-tab back to windows and dial the game sound right down to 2, but it is a bit of a pain.

As for the OP, consider yourself to have been very lucky up til now - pretty much everyone else has to do a workaround to get the volume correct :D Still feel sorry for you - welcome to our world :(

Dutch
Aug-12-2013, 18:06
Definitely a plus one to the first two points, its not realistic at all.

I don't care if it's not realistic. The game would be bloody boring to listen to, if all you could hear was your own engine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for realism, but if I'm approaching a formation of bombers at 20k feet, it's really atmospheric to hear the throb of their engines, even if it isn't realistic. And as I've always said, if the solution to the sound radar issue is to lose all of those ambient sounds, I'd rather keep the sound radar. For both sides. External sounds have been in our game genre since the word go. If you want to change this, carry on. But it'd be a bloody boring game world where I couldn't hear that 109 whistling past, or as I've said, the throb of a formation of bombers.

Be careful what you wish for chaps, it could prove to be exceedingly dull.

P.S. As for injury at altitude due to cold, the Hawker Fury had a ceiling of 29,500ft. Open Cockpit. What 'injury'?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-12-2013, 18:20
Philstyle - did you manage to try lowering the in-game volume level to see if you lose any detail in the sounds? :(

OK I tried it briefly. Didn't notice anything major...
But I only tried it for about 5 minutes so far.
Will do more testing over the next few days.

coolhand3011
Aug-12-2013, 22:15
I don't care if it's not realistic. The game would be bloody boring to listen to, if all you could hear was your own engine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for realism, but if I'm approaching a formation of bombers at 20k feet, it's really atmospheric to hear the throb of their engines, even if it isn't realistic. And as I've always said, if the solution to the sound radar issue is to lose all of those ambient sounds, I'd rather keep the sound radar. For both sides. External sounds have been in our game genre since the word go. If you want to change this, carry on. But it'd be a bloody boring game world where I couldn't hear that 109 whistling past, or as I've said, the throb of a formation of bombers.

P.S. As for injury at altitude due to cold, the Hawker Fury had a ceiling of 29,500ft. Open Cockpit. What 'injury'?

Easy there tiger. I'm not saying remove it, just agreeing with Phil that it's not realistic at all...being as this is a purported simulator. I fly with my 109 window shut and that's fine for me, even if other people are using sonar on their aircraft. I don't care how you enjoy the game so long as we all enjoy and keep playing and attracting more into it. :)

SoW Reddog
Aug-13-2013, 01:46
Tried flying with my canopy open last night, managed about 15 minutes before I closed it so I could hear myself think again, as while not loud enough in my opinion, it certainly is louder,and tended to drown out TS in my experience.

Roblex
Aug-13-2013, 02:05
it'd be a bloody boring game world where I couldn't hear that 109 whistling past, or as I've said, the throb of a formation of bombers.

I only open the canopy on the ground or in the circuit but I still hear 109s whistle past and formations of bombers. I have never heard my bullets hitting the target though.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-13-2013, 07:56

I can now confirm that at about 25-30% volume on the slider, I can no longer hear the engine idling sounds.
The slider completely turns these sounds off somewhere around that point.

Above about 30%, the sounds return.

See attached image3597

Black
Aug-13-2013, 08:52
I have a loss of sounds when I reduce the sliders to roughly 10 percent, I can't even hear my own cannonsounds anymore. I have my slider set to roughly half of that sound volume that you showed on the picture and no loss of sound!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-16-2013, 04:51
OK, more weirdness,

I start the game with 100% in-game sounds. Spawn in a Blenheim. Start the engine, and I get the ignition sounds OK.
Turn the sound down to 10%. Spawn again in Blenheim. Start engine. No ignition sound.
Turn the sound back up to 30%. Spawn again in Blenheim. Start engine. Ignition sound now works again.

Quit the game

Reload the game. Check that sound is still where I left it. 30%
Spawn in a Blenheim. Start the engine. No ignition sound!

Spawn in a He-111. Ignition sounds work fine.
Spawn in a Blenheim. No ignition sound!

The only way I can get the ignition sound 100% of the time, with 100% of the aircraft is to keep the sound at 100%, or close to 100%.
This means the engine-running sound is too loud, which forces me to use the Windows Audio Mixer to reduce overall game volume.