PDA

View Full Version : GIMP Basic skinning tutorial

dix
Nov-12-2016, 03:58
Hello,

I made a video for a friend, about how to make skins, it's nothing advanced, is more a process of familiarization with GIMP and its tools

the video turned out to be stupidly long, it's all in one take without editing (i accidentally made a livestream rather than a video recording :laugh:)

so i thought I would share it hoping it can help out those that would like to start making their own skins, but don't have a clue how to start :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphH_JZCe98

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-12-2016, 05:14
Ciao dix

è proprio quello che è necessario il video.

Good stuff mate and thanks again this is just what a lot of beginners like me need.

Molte grazie e hanno un buon fine settimana. :thumbsup:

~S~ :salute:

dix
Nov-12-2016, 14:19
Ciao dix

è proprio quello che è necessario il video.

Good stuff mate and thanks again this is just what a lot of beginners like me need.

Molte grazie e hanno un buon fine settimana. :thumbsup:

~S~ :salute:

Glad it was what you were looking for :-)
Feel free to ask me anything if something is not clear enough ^^

KeefyBoy
Nov-12-2016, 19:32
Hi dix
Very informative tutorial Buddy.
I have been making IL2 Skins for years using Gimp which is an amazing tool for this and as good as Photoshop But its FREE.
BTW... If you hold down Cntrl + Alt keys together when using the Scale Tool this will maintain the Aspect Ratio when
changing scale.
Thanks again
Keith

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-13-2016, 02:59
Brilliant work dix....You are a star!!

ATAG_Laser
Nov-13-2016, 15:32
Brilliant dix. Thanks for taking the time to make this video.

I might even have a go at doing a bit of skinning myself sometime :thumbsup:

ATAG_Scones
Dec-02-2016, 15:29
Hi dix,

This is indeed helpful - I've just finished my first Spitfire skin due to your video.

:thumbsup: Thank you,

TNScones

ATAG_Highseas
Dec-02-2016, 19:08
I worry about you chaps....

Gimp skinning?

Man.... Call me a prude.... But....

dix
Dec-03-2016, 05:57
Hi dix,

This is indeed helpful - I've just finished my first Spitfire skin due to your video.

:thumbsup: Thank you,

TNScones
Oh nice :D
Glad I could be helpful to you :thumbsup:

ZeroXIII
Dec-23-2016, 14:13
Great video dix, I've been wanting to add a little custom touch to my aircraft for a while now and your tutorial is very helpful.

I have a small problem though, how do you get the skins to work with the 100oct variants of the spit and hurricane? I've tried adding folders under those names but it doesn't work.

Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

DRock
Jan-10-2019, 12:06
Can this thread be stickied, please?

It's very useful, and I keep having to look for it.

ATAG_Freya
Apr-08-2019, 18:46
+1

Just a Q with gimp, I had a skin going, opened and edited it a few times, then all of a sudden it won't export. Then looking at the file (in folder) it looks like it just went bad all together. Can't open it with nothin, went from 3mb to 8kb. WTF? This happen with anyone else? All I did was cut and paste to move a 'decal' a slight bit. Luckily I was saving extra copies as I went along, mostly... but still pretty bummed. Gotta bak-up every project, every step of the way?

edit - managed to scrape it back into shape! first skin with gimp here, so proud. Feel like a father for the 3rd time:

edits again: Father for the 3rd time? I'd probably jump off a cliff. Ah well...

DRock
Apr-09-2019, 08:47
+1

Just a Q with gimp, I had a skin going, opened and edited it a few times, then all of a sudden it won't export. Then looking at the file (in folder) it looks like it just went bad all together. Can't open it with nothin, went from 3mb to 8kb. WTF? This happen with anyone else? All I did was cut and paste to move a 'decal' a slight bit. Luckily I was saving extra copies as I went along, mostly... but still pretty bummed. Gotta bak-up every project, every step of the way?

edit - managed to scrape it back into shape! first skin with gimp here, so proud. Feel like a father for the 3rd time:

edits again: Father for the 3rd time? I'd probably jump off a cliff. Ah well...

Hi Freya. That hasn’t happened to me, but I’m not sure exactly what you did. I can jump on TS with you and figure your problems out. I’ve always been able to save progress as I went, periodically exporting the jpeg to have a 3D look at it in game.

Congrats on the baby Viking.lol

Let me know a good time you can hop online.